Stranraer -vs- Dumbarton

3 hours ago, Old Scrotum said:

My bus gets into Stranraer at 11.05 on Saturday (damn - losing five valuable minutes) so if anybody fancies a snifter I'll be in The Grapes soon afterwards.

Do Billy and Sally still run the pub? They are nice - they don't chuck me out, just pour me in to a taxi.

Certainly giving yourself plenty of leisure time in Stranraer.

Will you actually be able to see the game after the best part of 4hrs in the boozer?  :P

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, beefybake said:

We'll see. I've been unimpressed with Farrell all the way through. 

And if last weeks mediocre display against Brechin is anything to go by, you're in with a decent chance. 

Perhaps a swap of managers might be best.  Stevie Aitken could return to organising good attacking football.

And Stevie Farrell could continue with ......, negative football. 

I'm far from sticking up for Farrell but you were not impressed that he took over a club that was bottom of the league and kept them up? Or maybe you were unimpressed by the fact Stranraer finished fifth despite their squad having a massive overhaul halfway through the season? That was the season after he kept them up.

1 hour ago, TAFKAC said:

I'm far from sticking up for Farrell but you were not impressed that he took over a club that was bottom of the league and kept them up? Or maybe you were unimpressed by the fact Stranraer finished fifth despite their squad having a massive overhaul halfway through the season? That was the season after he kept them up.

I'll stick to what I've said.    

On the first point you make, there was a good squad of players, but everyone had just got demoralised by the then manager. A new manager who was known to the players,

and had done the asst. manager job at Stair Park already..,  had a relatively easy confidence building job. 

Second point.  Without Turner, and a loan, Angus Beith, who turned out to be red hot, far more so than anyone expected..... we'd be down.  

However,  overall, on the second point, of course it's arguable. 

3 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

This is interesting actually, because we were discussing his time with Stranraer on one of our other threads a few days back.

I only saw you guys under Stevie when you played (and defeated) us in a couple of Challenge Cup games. In both games Stranraer fell behind but he went for it and they came back to win. That's pretty much the exact opposite of what happens nowadays.

What sort of football did he play? 

Like this.....

Or....., can't find a youtube, but the 5 -3 defeat to Hibs.  A defeat yes, but what a game. 

2 hours ago, Silverton End said:

Certainly giving yourself plenty of leisure time in Stranraer.

Will you actually be able to see the game after the best part of 4hrs in the boozer?  :P

Well, it's either then or 14.55. Four hours? No problem. 

11 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Like this.....

Or....., can't find a youtube, but the 5 -3 defeat to Hibs.  A defeat yes, but what a game. 

The 5-3 game with Hibs stuck in my mind, I remember watching the highlights of it at the time. I was in Glasgow the night of the Rangers game, and it was just teaming with seething Northern Irish Rangers fans who were obviously over here for Christmas or something. Tremendous. 

Unfortunately for us it's been the opposite. He seems absolutely terrified of taking a hammering (ironic given Saturday, I know). Last season I wrote that we seemed quite content to take a 0-1/0-2 defeat on a whole host of occasions. In all but his first few games (and a good run between January and April 2017) falling behind has killed us because we can't attack a game, whilst taking the lead means that we drop deeper and deeper and try to cling on.

Based on my quick look in his 153 games to date we've only won nine by more than one goal.

Against teams in the same league as us all but two of those wins (QOS in 2016, East Fife in August) came against sides who would go on to be relegated (apologies to East Fife, who are now gubbed).

We'll see. I've been unimpressed with Farrell all the way through. 

And if last weeks mediocre display against Brechin is anything to go by, you're in with a decent chance. 

Perhaps a swap of managers might be best.  Stevie Aitken could return to organising good attacking football.

And Stevie Farrell could continue with ......, negative football. 

This is what is especially galling, Aitken came with a reputation for attacking football and getting teams to punch above their weight.  I'm not sure what happened but at the moment the players look unfit, lethargic, unorganised and there is little evidence of a game plan or tactics. 

27 minutes ago, albundy said:

This is what is especially galling, Aitken came with a reputation for attacking football and getting teams to punch above their wait.  I'm not sure what happened but at the moment the players look unfit, lethargic, unorganised and there is little evidence of a game plan or tactics. 

Once you change your entire tactical philosophy, it’s not all that easy to switch back. For some reason, Aitken switched to a horrific brand of football and he doesn’t know how to go back. Which is all the more confusing by the signings he’s made. If you want to play brutal, long ball, ultra defensive football, then sign players who are actually remotely suited to it.

The fans know he’s done, the players certainly looked like they agree; both with their performance and body language. All heads down as soon as a goal goes in. Not even a word from the captain who just stares at his laces.

The only people who haven’t realised Aitken’s done yet are seemingly him, the board and the photographer.

Second point.  Without Turner, and a loan, Angus Beith, who turned out to be red hot, far more so than anyone expected..... we'd be down.  
However,  overall, on the second point, of course it's arguable. 

You could argue that we might have been in the promotion play-offs had Faz not had to jettison half a dozen of his squad halfway through the season through no fault of his own.

9 hours ago, Stevie Aitken said:

FWIW, I wouldn’t fancy at Stranraer even in a great run of form. Let alone the onmishambles currently on display.

I'm full of confidence for Saturday. I just know Dumbarton will surprise us.

3-0 Stranraer. 

A bit of info about the A77 resurfacing has just popped up on my Twitter. 

The programme of works during Phase 1 will include two patching schemes and a barrier replacement project. It will require the closure of the A77 from 8pm on Fri 5th until 6am on Mon 8th October 2018.

Surely there's a better way than the diversion on the map?

5bb46ed724e3d_Screenshot2018-10-03at08_24_37.thumb.png.3afa61f93f9a2ade4564249ded998262.png

http://www.scotlandtranserv.co.uk/a77-combined-investment/?platform=hootsuite

5 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken said:

Get the train, it’s a very nice journey apparently. The drive is absolutely brutal.

Trains are off too...and have been for about six weeks now! Flying to Belfast and getting the ferry is probably the best option :lol:

http://m.nationalrail.co.uk/pj/disruption/details/D05A9B9C8A1B46B38E1AACD420AD4052

20 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Trains are off too...and have been for about six weeks now! Flying to Belfast and getting the ferry is probably the best option :lol:

http://m.nationalrail.co.uk/pj/disruption/details/D05A9B9C8A1B46B38E1AACD420AD4052

This route looks to only be 10 minutes slower than the usual route:

image.thumb.png.f503b472fd8bb8168108d904fe73308b.png

No idea what the drive is like mind you, could be good fun.  Frankly I think you're off yer tits even considering it but good luck.

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

This route looks to only be 10 minutes slower than the usual route:

image.thumb.png.f503b472fd8bb8168108d904fe73308b.png

No idea what the drive is like mind you, could be good fun.  Frankly I think you're off yer tits even considering it but good luck.

That's not too bad. I had the absolute fear when I saw it stretching out to Newton Stewart.

If Stranraer had been a ground like Livingston or East Fife I probably wouldn't have bothered, but I really like Stair Park. Plus two whole weeks without watching us replicate our performances from last season would be too much to cope with. I need 90 minutes of a 5"7 striker chasing overhit balls forward.

47 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

It’s almost as if that’s a sign...

I have to agree with The Moonster that you’d need to be slightly nuts to go to this one!

Archived