Stranraer -vs- Dumbarton

14 hours ago, beefybake said:

I'll stick to what I've said.    

On the first point you make, there was a good squad of players, but everyone had just got demoralised by the then manager. A new manager who was known to the players,

and had done the asst. manager job at Stair Park already..,  had a relatively easy confidence building job. 

Second point.  Without Turner, and a loan, Angus Beith, who turned out to be red hot, far more so than anyone expected..... we'd be down.  

However,  overall, on the second point, of course it's arguable. 

I'm not trying to change your mind and you are more than entitled to your opinion.

The fact is he kept Stranraer up, whether that is "relatively easy" is entirely open to debate. The second point referring to Turner and Beith seems a bit churlish to me. Farrell has to get both playing well and one of those was a player he signed. Beith had played as a deep-lying midfielder previously and scored a whopping one goal in his career before coming to Stranraer. He then scored eight after Farrell pushed him further forward. That is a move Farrell made and to then not give him credit for that seems odd.

Also, if we are talking about exciting, attacking games...

- How about a 3-3 draw with Peterhead less than a month after Farrell took charge? How about a 4-3 defeat to Ayr? A 4-0 win away to Albion Rovers? A 3-2 win over Arbroath after trailing 2-0?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm actually coming round to the idea of Gaffer Swap. Channel 4 documentary, following both Stevie's at their opposites club then they can have that wee sit down at the end and tell each other exactly what they think about the job they're doing, like Wife Swap but with more swearing.

37 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm actually coming round to the idea of Gaffer Swap. Channel 4 documentary, following both Stevie's at their opposites club then they can have that wee sit down at the end and tell each other exactly what they think about the job they're doing, like Wife Swap but with more swearing.

And more tits. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

And more tits. 

Clearly neither of you have seen the Jade Goody/Major Charles Ingram episode.

Aitken has given Stranraer fans plenty of good memories and a player and manager.

Some of the best football I’ve seen at Stair Park has involved Stevie.

I’m still not over his substitution again Morton though in deciding game, brining on an out of sorts Chris Aitken rather than Stephen Stirling.

He also said he’d finished taking Stranraer players when he first went to Dumbarton but went on to take a few more only a matter of weeks later. It’s football I know but for that, f*ck him!

Fickle I know.

Just now, Mattmc said:

Aitken has given Stranraer fans plenty of good memories and a player and manager.
I’m still not over his substitution again Morton though in deciding game, brining on an out of sorts Chris Aitken rather than Stephen Stirling.
He also said he’d finished taking Stranraer players when he first went to Dumbarton but went on to take a few more only a matter of weeks later. It’s football I know but for that, f*ck him!

Don't talk to us about Stevie's subs in vital games :lol:

Fickle I know.
I suspect Stevie's a bit of marmite manager for players and I would take anything he says in the public press with a pinch of salt.

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

This route looks to only be 10 minutes slower than the usual route:

image.thumb.png.f503b472fd8bb8168108d904fe73308b.png

No idea what the drive is like mind you, could be good fun.  Frankly I think you're off yer tits even considering it but good luck.

This route is ok for cars but very narrow, and could be blocked if some of the HGV's decide to venture along it and get stuck.    It's the route I'd take, over Newton Stewart but not much in it time-wise.

An alternative is to use the replacement bus-service for the trains as the buses are being convoyed through the roadworks instead of having to use the diversion.  Do check the timings though as they have been hit and miss at times.  

Welcome to life in the forgotten south-west corner of Scotland...we have these diversions for most episodes of resurfacing or major RTC's, and sometimes both the A77 and A75 can be closed.  To lose the minimal train service too has been a blow.  Just don't get ill while you're here!!

8 hours ago, Stevie Aitken said:

It’s almost as if that’s a sign...

I have to agree with The Moonster that you’d need to be slightly nuts to go to this one!

But, but, but ..... if I don't  go I'll miss out on The Grapes.

giphy.gif

This route looks to only be 10 minutes slower than the usual route:
image.thumb.png.f503b472fd8bb8168108d904fe73308b.png
No idea what the drive is like mind you, could be good fun.  Frankly I think you're off yer tits even considering it but good luck.

Single track roads with passing places for a fair bit of that route!

17 minutes ago, Clayhole Blue said:

Single track roads with passing places for a fair bit of that route!

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted when I saw it on Google Maps. It looks like a rally stage.

5bb50f0b53581_Screenshot2018-10-03at19_48_04.thumb.png.b27a29e7dd8f7d467c57e4b38b80541b.png

I'll probably just go the sensible way. There'll be three of us in the car, and that road (as fun as it looks - bar the massive potholes) just screams travel sickness.

Train was always awkward - return journey leaves at five o'clock and station is about 20 minutes (or three pubs) from the ground.

Forget using the connecting bus service, though: it leaves Stranraer at 16:25. Having said that, if it's anything like last Saturday that might suit some.

I'm using Citylink/Ulsterbus. 08:30 from Buchanan Street Bus Station, arriving 11:05. There is a later one @ 12:10 but it doesn't arrive until 14:55.

Bus back to Glasgow @ 17:50 (arriving 20:20).

£1 each way booking fee, £0 fare as I'm a mouldy fig. Ye cannae whack it. (But it's a long f*****g walk if the driver catches you having a snifter or five. Their policy now is accept prosecution or "git aff".)

15 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted when I saw it on Google Maps. It looks like a rally stage.

5bb50f0b53581_Screenshot2018-10-03at19_48_04.thumb.png.b27a29e7dd8f7d467c57e4b38b80541b.png

I'll probably just go the sensible way. There'll be three of us in the car, and that road (as fun as it looks - bar the massive potholes) just screams travel sickness.

That literally looks like Craggy Island.

Haha you have got to give that a go. Be some journey back in the dark. [emoji23]

4 hours ago, Old Scrotum said:

Train was always awkward - return journey leaves at five o'clock and station is about 20 minutes (or three pubs) from the ground.

Forget using the connecting bus service, though: it leaves Stranraer at 16:25. Having said that, if it's anything like last Saturday that might suit some.

I'm using Citylink/Ulsterbus. 08:30 from Buchanan Street Bus Station, arriving 11:05. There is a later one @ 12:10 but it doesn't arrive until 14:55.

Bus back to Glasgow @ 17:50 (arriving 20:20).

£1 each way booking fee, £0 fare as I'm a mouldy fig. Ye cannae whack it. (But it's a long f*****g walk if the driver catches you having a snifter or five. Their policy now is accept prosecution or "git aff".)

You may need four hours in the pub if it’s anything like last week.

Archived