Stranraer -vs- Dumbarton

Can Faz and Chris Aitken stick another nail in their pal/brother's coffin? 

Stranraer have historically done very well against us, especially at Stair Park. That combined with our utterly catastrophic performance on Saturday means I can't see us getting anything here. In fact if I didn't like Stair Park so much as a ground there's not a chance I'd be bothering to go to this.

No doubt we'll have lost another load of players to injury during the week, so I'm not even going to try to predict a lineup at the moment. Hopefully Jamie McGowan is given another chance in goals because Saturday was basically just shooty-in. He also didn't start trying to fight anybody, so that's a further bonus. Calum Gallagher (fit or not) is also the striker most suited to our style of play, so he has to start.

It'll be interesting to see who drops out for Dom Thomas too. After Saturday it could easily be anybody.

I seem to think it every week, but a defeat really could be the end of Aitken. 8 points from the first quarter would represent a disastrous return.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think with each week we are defeated it'll be the end of Aitken, but with the signing of Thomas, the board have clearly demonstrated their loyalties.

I'll be there on Saturday as always, but my feeing is of overall apathy.

If we win, hey, we'll probably lose next week. If we lose, hey that's the way it is just now. And unfortunately I don't see that changing until there's a change in management.

As you say, no point in even predicting a line-up as it'll all depend on how this week goes and how many 'fit' players we have available.

Score draw, unconvincing performance and another week where Aitken survives the chop.

What you predict wouldn't be unsurprising at all. But it makes me think, I genuinely wonder what it will take for the board to act.

Just how much worse a situation do we need to be in before they make the change we can all see that we desperately need.

I actually see the Thomas signing as the last throw of the dice for Aitken. He's a good signing and if the club aren't paying anything for him then I'm not sure why the board would knock back the deal, even if they had intentions of sacking him in the near future. 

I'm in Budapest this weekend so I'll be full of cheap (but tasty) lager and goulash whilst we likely fall to defeat here. I sincerely hope those of you making the trip see some sort of reaction from the players, that could be a very long day if you witness another performance like Saturday.

Just for lols:

McGowan

Ballantyne -- Dowie -- Allardice -- Dyer

Spencer -- Thomson

Thomas -- Forbes -- Barr

Gallagher

A bit of pace there, a bit of creativity, a bit of fight and someone who can finish playing up front. My CV is on the way, Mr Steele.

22 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Just for lols:

McGowan

Ballantyne -- Dowie -- Allardice -- Dyer

Spencer -- Thomson

Thomas -- Forbes -- Barr

Gallagher

A bit of pace there, a bit of creativity, a bit of fight and someone who can finish playing up front. My CV is on the way, Mr Steele.

Aitchison's Army are on their way.....

But thoroughly agree about starting with Gallagher. Or 4-4-2, drop Barr (I now), move Forbes centrally  - his best position IMHO - and put Aitchison in as the second striker. We need to see what he can do when he has a decent target man alongside him.

I'd send my C.V. in too but I suspect my pension pays more.

My bus gets into Stranraer at 11.05 on Saturday (damn - losing five valuable minutes) so if anybody fancies a snifter I'll be in The Grapes soon afterwards.

Do Billy and Sally still run the pub? They are nice - they don't chuck me out, just pour me in to a taxi.

2 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

As much as I feel the time is right for Aitken to go, I have a sinking feeling in my stomach that the final blow will be struck by his old sidekick Stevie Farrell and his brother Chris.

We'll see. I've been unimpressed with Farrell all the way through. 

And if last weeks mediocre display against Brechin is anything to go by, you're in with a decent chance. 

Perhaps a swap of managers might be best.  Stevie Aitken could return to organising good attacking football.

And Stevie Farrell could continue with ......, negative football. 

My bus gets into Stranraer at 11.05 on Saturday (damn - losing five valuable minutes) so if anybody fancies a snifter I'll be in The Grapes soon afterwards.
Do Billy and Sally still run the pub? They are nice - they don't chuck me out, just pour me in to a taxi.

They do.

2 hours ago, beefybake said:

Indeed not.  However, I've seen what Stevie Aitken is capable of. 

This is interesting actually, because we were discussing his time with Stranraer on one of our other threads a few days back.

I only saw you guys under Stevie when you played (and defeated) us in a couple of Challenge Cup games. In both games Stranraer fell behind but he went for it and they came back to win. That's pretty much the exact opposite of what happens nowadays.

What sort of football did he play? 

Archived