The Stephen Dobbie Fan Club

Is there a possibility that he could have made it at an even higher level if he'd screwed the nut earlier on?

I remember him coming on as a sub against us and scoring a hat trick in about 10 minutes and thinking that he would be a top player if he wasn't a wee fatty

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some strolling.

Never understood the point being made here.

Surely it’s obvious that a striker will score more goals against weaker defences?

I suspect every championship fan of every club would be happy to have him in his team....including Granny!

11 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Never understood the point being made here.

Surely it’s obvious that a striker will score more goals against weaker defences?

I suspect every championship fan of every club would be happy to have him in his team....including Granny!

You'd expect a player as good as Dobbie supposedly is to score in more than ~12% of matches over a season against the teams placed 13th-17th in Scotland, surely?

I think most United fans would have Dobbie at Tannadice, that's not the discussion.

If we didn't drop 2 points against Brechin last season, picked up more than 7/12 versus Dumbarton or didn't drop 5 points against Falkirk, we'd have finished 2nd and would have had a much better chance in the playoffs. Dobbie scores for fun against these teams but takes a breather against the better sides.

No wonder the ICT fans like him. 0 goals in 4 matches last season  against them and has started in the same vein this term. 

The Rangers man scored in 2 (two) of 17 matches against St Mirren, Livingston, Dundee United, Dunfermline and Inverness in 2017-18.

Fair play to him if he can get away with it on those astronomical wages. The fans seem to love him for it all the same. 

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Here is the post I responded too.  See the highlighted bit.

Some strolling.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

So you are saying is that he isn't strolling the league but is a fucking coward for not wanting to test himself at a higher level? 

GD seems to have gotten himself a bit confused here at his own point (whatever it is supposed to be?).

39 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

You'd expect a player as good as Dobbie supposedly is to score in more than ~12% of matches over a season against the teams placed 13th-17th in Scotland, surely?

No wonder the ICT fans like him. 0 goals in 4 matches last season  against them and has started in the same vein this term. 

Maybe he hasn’t scored against ICT, but he’s rifled 4 last the league leaders.

That would be Ayr Utd btw. HTH.

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

38 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

The Rangers man scored in 2 (two) of 17 matches against St Mirren, Livingston, Dundee United, Dunfermline and Inverness in 2017-18.

If he came to United we could put him out against the wee teams.  Sorted.

Hot dang, the United fan sure have a boner for Dobbie stats!
Aye it's a weird obsession. Almost as if goals against smaller sides don't count. It was pointed out that last season we approached games against better sides more defensively and Dobbie was isolated therefore had less chances (if any at all in some games) but he couldn't compute that. The guy would walk into any side in the division and is invaluable to us. Unless we miraculously come into money or develop some very good youth players in the next couple of years (not looking likely) then I genuinely fear for us in this division once he's gone.

4 hours ago, AuAl said:

Aye dobbie is a class act, when he is at his best like he has been this season he is a joy to watch. Expect when he bangs in four goals against Ayr of course.

Seems to have a genuine love for queen's and their fanbase. A rare trait

Top guy

Saying that, this thread is a bit pointless

A love for queen's what?

4 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

Is there a possibility that he could have made it at an even higher level if he'd screwed the nut earlier on?

I remember him coming on as a sub against us and scoring a hat trick in about 10 minutes and thinking that he would be a top player if he wasn't a wee fatty

I think he probably lacked just that little bit of pace/physicality to play much higher that he did. Having won the Championship playoff final twice (and being on loan to Crystal Palace the year they got promoted)  he's probably unlucky not to have played more games at the top level in England, suffering multiple times from never really getting established before his team went up.  He is desperately unlucky not to ever have made a Scotland squad - Craig Mackail-Smith who had a very similar career arc has got 7 caps.

Looking back at when he was at St. Johnstone, Dumbarton and us the first time, he's to be greatly admired for turning his career around and getting pretty close to squeezing everything out of his ability. 

That hat trick is still one of my favourite Dobbie moments. The fans were desperate to get him on and he was obviously unhappy with the decision to bench him. He was warming up behind the goals right in front of our end of the main stand and when called to come on he cut right across the corner of the pitch, you could tell he meant business. It used to be on YouTube but wasn't able to find it the last time I looked if anyone has a link?

12 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

That hat trick is still one of my favourite Dobbie moments. The fans were desperate to get him on and he was obviously unhappy with the decision to bench him. He was warming up behind the goals right in front of our end of the main stand and when called to come on he cut right across the corner of the pitch, you could tell he meant business. It used to be on YouTube but wasn't able to find it the last time I looked if anyone has a link?

I couldn`t find the specific match but the 3 goals are on this from about 9.03 minutes in.

3 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I couldn`t find the specific match but the 3 goals are on this from about 9.03 minutes in.

:wub: 

Thanks. That's a clip from the video I'm talking about. I liked the original because it captured the intent in that run from warming up behind the goal.

Archived