St Johnstone v Celtic, 7th October

Just now, Tibbermoresaint said:

So Scots murdered by the IRA weren't victims of the IRA?

I suppose the obvious question which arises is whether you would apply the phrase 'innocent victim' to a soldier in someone else's country. 

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, The OP said:

Just for the sake of clarification, Scotland has never been the victim of Irish Republican terrorists. Some Scottish soldiers might have died in the Troubles but the IRA made a specific point of not bombing Scotland. I understand the UVF or a similar organisation did bomb two pubs in Glasgow but no-one died. 

Sorry, silly me forgetting Scottish people don't travel to anywhere else on the planet or live there, what a massive oversight. 

As far as attempts at defending these songs go, this has to be one of the best. 

"Didn't target Scotland" :lol: I'm sure they checked all the innocents nationalities before planting bombs.

2 minutes ago, The OP said:

I suppose the obvious question which arises is whether you would apply the phrase 'innocent victim' to a soldier in someone else's country. 

Ah, so it's only Scottish soldiers who can be in other countries :lol:

Pathetic.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Ah, so it's only Scottish soldiers who can live in other countries :lol:

Pathetic.

What? That doesn't follow from what was written so I assume there is a typo somewhere or something.

In any event, they didn't live there for the sake of it. They were "stationed" there. 

Just now, Tibbermoresaint said:

Only if I was a c**t trying to defend terrorists.

Which I'm not. But it seems you are.

No I'm not, just clarifying some blatant untruths flying about. 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sorry, silly me forgetting Scottish people don't travel to anywhere else on the planet or live there, what a massive oversight. 

As far as attempts at defending these songs go, this has to be one of the best. 

"Didn't target Scotland" :lol: I'm sure they checked all the innocents nationalities before planting bombs.

If someone from the UAE dies in an airstrike in Syria do people say "The US Army bombed the UAE today?"

PS - I'm not actually asking this question, I am explaining what your position is. 

4 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

So Scots murdered by the IRA weren't victims of the IRA?

Plenty of Scottish soldiers in Scottish regiments killed and were responsible directly and indirectly for deaths of many in the troubles, two wrongs don't make a right, for all there is bitterness and resentment about this, Irish people, and those of Catholic background dont view Scotland and Scottish members of the forces in general as terrorists. 

1 minute ago, The OP said:

Did the IRA bomb Scotland?  If not, is what I said factually accurate?

What a song Hungry Like The Wolf was though....

Sorry im confusing the IRA with Duran Duran again, both in the news constantly in the 1980's but largely inactive now.

3 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Plenty of Scottish soldiers in Scottish regiments killed and were responsible directly and indirectly for deaths of many in the troubles, two wrongs don't make a right, for all there is bitterness and resentment about this, Irish people, and those of Catholic background dont view Scotland and Scottish members of the forces in general as terrorists. 

Irrelevant drivel. 

4 minutes ago, The OP said:

Did the IRA bomb Scotland?  If not, is what I said factually accurate?

Nobody claimed they did. I said Scots were victims of IRA terrorist attacks, something you've bizarrely claimed is untrue because the IRA didn't attack Scotland. 

Innocent Scots live all over the UK, IRA indiscriminately bombed innocents all over the UK, Scots were victims in some of these. 

What's your issue with understanding that?

37 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes. But again, the majority of the public will always see us as the good guys. So singing about those who killed our innocents in our country will always be seen as vile.

Would you go to Iraq and sing Rule Brittania?

Randomguy, stop lying. First you lied about a headbutt, then you lied about a tackle from behind and now you're lying about what you said. This is what you said.

Unless you are calling Northern Ireland our country and in that case you are surprisingly loyalist. I would also reiterate that the use of the term "innocents" to describe soldiers stationed in another country is tenuous, but it's clear you actually thought the IRA had carried out bombings in Scotland. It's ok to admit you're wrong, it actually saves a lot of time. 

Archived