Partick Thistle vs Ross County

Thistle put their 100% home league record on the line against fellow relegated outfit Ross County. A failure to win will increase the pressure on Archibald but another home win will keep us in touch of the playoff positions. 

County will come in on a high of an impressive dismantling of the hapless Dundee United and will be confident of returning north with at least a point.

Our overall record against County has been pretty good but the writing was on the wall following that 4-0 pumping at Dingwall earlier in the year. Can Archibald set out a team to keep the three points in Maryhill? It’s a big ask but the rules are home game, home win in the league for us this season...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First real test in the league at home, I think we lose comfortably here.

Are your full backs?

A) Your best players
B) Competent but nothing special
C) Slow
D) Incompetent to the point of non-existence

If it’s A or B, I reckon you’ll get a point at least.

If it’s C or D, I can see Billy Mckay continuing his form and County winning pretty comfortably. If Dundee United do nothing else in the league this season, giving Mckay all his confidence back was probably the worst thing they could possibly do.

Has Max Melbourne played much for you guys? Him v Josh Mullin would be an interesting battle.

I liked Melbourne in the little I saw of him, but I saw highlights of him playing (perhaps against Ayr?) and it looked as if he had never kicked a ball before. I think there’s a reason County took Stelios rather than bring him back.

9 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

If we played 5-4-1 against Dunfermline then Christ knows what we'll do here. If County have anyone on the left wing with two working feet they should coast it.

Would have been Gardyne, but it seems he's going to be out a while.  So it'll be Davis Keillor-Dunn, who although sounding like a writer for the New Yorker, is actually the most talented young player County have brought through since Don Cowie.  And he's a tricky winger.

12 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I liked Melbourne in the little I saw of him, but I saw highlights of him playing (perhaps against Ayr?) and it looked as if he had never kicked a ball before. I think there’s a reason County took Stelios rather than bring him back.

He played right back in that game...:green

Melbourne kept Martin Boyle very quiet to the extent of getting subbed in April, when Boyle was arguably the form player in the Premiership at the time.

Keillor-Dunn is more likely to cut in and put a shot into the top bin than Gardyne, but DKD rarely attacks a full back on the outside.  If the inside option isn’t on then he tends to come in anyway and slow the attack down.

Gardyne is a more consistent performer because he goes at the full back both ways - he doesn’t have the pace anymore to beat Elliot on the outside on speed alone but still has tricks up his sleeve to do that at this level .

DKD still has to add a lot more to his game but I’m happy to see him get an opportunity to do that and rebuild his confidence.

1 hour ago, the_paulo said:

Elliott up front, Doolan at RB please.  

Oh hilarious, anyone with am ounce of sense knows Elliott is hopeless up front,  rubbish in midfield and lost at full back.

Here is how the club website actually describes him, are they having a laugh ?

"Christie joined Thistle in the summer of 2011, scoring on his debut against Hamilton Academical. He has continued to improve with each season at the club, making the transition from striker to one of the most versatile players in Alan Archibald’s squad."

22 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Thistle put their 100% home league record on the line against fellow relegated outfit Ross County. A failure to win will increase the pressure on Archibald but another home win will keep us in touch of the playoff positions. 

County will come in on a high of an impressive dismantling of the hapless Dundee United and will be confident of returning north with at least a point.

Our overall record against County has been pretty good but the writing was on the wall following that 4-0 pumping at Dingwall earlier in the year. Can Archibald set out a team to keep the three points in Maryhill? It’s a big ask but the rules are home game, home win in the league for us this season...

Did you make those rules up yourself, or are you living in crowd cuckoo land ?

I fully expect Thistle  to get spanked in the next 2 home games, and have you forgotten the cup game at home to Ayr , who happen to be the 3rd home match in October.

Archived