Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

14 minutes ago, tescodave said:

How you can sympathise with the Board is beyond me. The club’s very existence is at stake and they are continuing with someone who has shown over a fairly extensive period of time that he’s not fit for the job yet you sympathise??!!

It would be like Woody’s cabs employing a taxi driver and after a couple of shifts discovering the c**t was blind but letting him continue to attempt to take you from the train station to the Curfew.

Selective reading. Did you miss this bit? Or do you miss everything that isn't dripping with bile? 

"To continue to watch utterly abject displays as we've seen in the last 3 games and still not make a backroom change is the most valid criticism of them all. If we were losing by the odd goal, if we were hitting crossbars or coming up against inspired keepers, if we were on top for a while in these defeats, then you could excuse the Board for sticking with their man and hoping our luck will change. But it isn't like that."

Simply saying that the  Board are wrong now, but made an appointment and understandably backed their man in January. 

26 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Seems to me that the Board will be hurting as much as anyone, and are putting their faith in a return to fitness of a talismanic Ousy See. 

I think it would be amazing to see ouzy  score a winner against Albion which would secure our league status after such a horrific injury, and I can actually see it happening. 

But even ouzy record isn’t exactly prolific, I think he only scored 3 goals last year since his arrival in January. 

Selective reading. Did you miss this bit? Or do you miss everything that isn't dripping with bile? 
"To continue to watch utterly abject displays as we've seen in the last 3 games and still not make a backroom change is the most valid criticism of them all. If we were losing by the odd goal, if we were hitting crossbars or coming up against inspired keepers, if we were on top for a while in these defeats, then you could excuse the Board for sticking with their man and hoping our luck will change. But it isn't like that."
Simply saying that the  Board are wrong now, but made an appointment and understandably backed their man in January. 

So why sympathise? They are indeed as culpable as Harvey, you could argue even more so. It’s as clear as day he’s going to crash into the Castle Hotel as he tries to take you to the Curfew yet they are still employing him which I find incredible beyond belief and indeed totally and utterly incomprehensible.

Don’t call Woody’s Redcar, give Waughy a call and you’ll have a chance of getting that pint. Hopefully Len and co take on my wise words too. [emoji12]

6 minutes ago, Fergie1 said:

I think it would be amazing to see ouzy  score a winner against Albion which would secure our league status after such a horrific injury, and I can actually see it happening. 

But even ouzy record isn’t exactly prolific, I think he only scored 3 goals last year since his arrival in January. 

Fair enough. On Saturday though, I thought he was the only player on our side who looked like he should be playing at this level. 

7 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Think that's why I've taken an interest, I'm not even overly fond of Berwick but it's been a total embarrassment of a season and the way Harvey is acting and the way the people above him are not acting is winding me up. It's not fair on the fans at all. Literally getting pumped 7-1 and 6-0 by teams mid to lower half in fucking League 2!

Atleast Albion Rovers have gave things a go and salvaged some pride. Berwick just seem so passive the fans (got a funny feeling that they're not actually fans to be honest) on here giving people stick for not backing the manager or being negative are absolutely deluded and afff their heads.

Being positive and backing the team has worked wonders so far after all eh..

Although, Albion Rovers would still be bottom if it wasn't for Clyde.

Edited by PELE

I honestly can’t believe Berwick have been so quiet on the points awarded to Albion Rovers. Seem to be quietly accepting their fate.
I would be raging, I know it won’t be reversed but I would at least be calling he authorities out on it.

29 minutes ago, PELE said:

Although, Albion Rovers would still be bottom if it wasn't for Clyde.

Boring tweet alert from me (again):

Not really. It’s far from ridiculous to suggest that had the ineligible player not set up the only goal of the game Albion could have nicked a point, just like they did at Peterhead, thus still been off the bottom. It’s pure speculation to suggest that had Clyde not committed the offence then Albion would be bottom.

Berwick are woeful. Deserve to finish bottom of the league. Same as cowden last couple of years. Albion defo a better team.  Personally wouldnt like either to go down to LL as enjoy the away days to both. I think Albion would do ok in play offs and see off either cove or EK as for Berwick.. I doubt they would beat Cove.

19 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

I honestly can’t believe Berwick have been so quiet on the points awarded to Albion Rovers. Seem to be quietly accepting their fate.
I would be raging, I know it won’t be reversed but I would at least be calling he authorities out on it.

There is literally nothing we can do, and if we finish tenth by 3 or fewer points, it's because we are absolute gash - across 36 games. It's like with soft penalties being given; you have a great degree of culpability for getting into the position where someone else's fuckup (referee/Clyde) will send you down.

Pointing our fingers at your unfortunate backroom staff will only distract from our own endemic toils, and that is about the last thing we want happening right now; after all, the solution to this situation lies with us.

3 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

There is literally nothing we can do, and if we finish tenth by 3 or fewer points, it's because we are absolute gash - across 36 games. It's like with soft penalties being given; you have a great degree of culpability for getting into the position where someone else's fuckup (referee/Clyde) will send you down.

That's a very pragmatic attitude, and I have to be honest and say I wouldn't see it that way if our positions were reversed. To me, the 3-0 award was a travesty, much as Clyde deserve punishment.

Even if we stay up by more than three points, there's little doubt that the Clyde issue was a major catalyst in our change in fortunes. Would we have went on the same run in march without it? I doubt it.

8 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

That's a very pragmatic attitude, and I have to be honest and say I wouldn't see it that way if our positions were reversed. To me, the 3-0 award was a travesty, much as Clyde deserve punishment.

Even if we stay up by more than three points, there's little doubt that the Clyde issue was a major catalyst in our change in fortunes. Would we have went on the same run in march without it? I doubt it.

I agree. I think it is outrageous and I hope our Board made appropriate angry noises. Though given the judgement, and Clyde's statement, I imagine there was no official avenue to complain within the rules. Wouldn't surprise me if we were told it was nowt to do with us. (Would be nice to know if we did try to protest though) 

I know we can’t actually do anything about it, but at least a statement or something would be a signal to our fans that we aren’t just accepting our fate. We managed put out enough of them last summer.

I agree with Dale. You get the impression there’s just an acceptance and next season will be a new start/new era/clean slate, whatever league we’re in. I can’t agree with it, and I don’t think the majority of the support agree with it. Success on the park is by far and away the most important thing for me.

If league status is important, the time for action is now, because it’ll be extremely hard to ever get back here if we go down. I’ve little interest in seeing a downsized Berwick Rangers plodding along in the Lowland League in some Ainslie Park style ‘stadium’, whether that’s at the centre of the community or not.

11 minutes ago, BerwickMad said:

I’ve little interest in seeing a downsized Berwick Rangers plodding along in the Lowland League in some Ainslie Park style ‘stadium’, whether that’s at the centre of the community or not.

If that was the goal here, I'd rather we just 'fess up and resign from the league to save us the absolute embarrassment of getting relegated on the pitch like this.

@Aloysius Snuffleupagus Pragmatic for sure, but I/we/the club cannot change the footballing authorities, or their backward rules, or their inconsistent application of them, or Clyde's staff making an honest mistake. The only way we can potentially save ourselves is by concentrating all our energy and effort on the proceedings on the pitch.

Ideally we'd win all our remaining matches, but if we really have to finish last, I hope it's by a huge margin (more than 5 points, e.g. you guys picking up points in every remaining match) so we can at least put the unproductive narrative that Clyde fcuked us over to bed. The overturning of the 1-0 might have given Rovers the mental boost needed for that little string of results, but end-season-form on your part would confirm that we as Berwick Rangers just weren't good enough across the entire year - not good enough to save ourselves from getting caught by a club that had John Brogan at the helm for half a season.

The less we focus on Clyde, the more we can focus on how bad we are and how to improve; that's the way it should be because let's be honest, if we keep whining about the three points you gained, we'd be no better than Cove (and playing in a lower league than them to boot). Still, for the love of fcuk, I hope we put you to the sword on the 27th and Harper and a 90th minute winner by Newell v. Cove save you in the play-offs. Then maybe, just maybe, we can both start next season with a clean slate.

I have to disagree with this part, the “major catalyst was undoubtedly, and very sadly, the death of ‘Dukesy’. I was in the changing room before and after the Stirling game and there was absolutely no mention of Clyde or the 3 points. But the big man and doing it for him was mentioned A LOT.

There are always key moments for teams and this new team (that’s what they were as most had only been at the club a couple of months) became a much tighter group united by their grief after the tragic event the week before. And not from receiving 3 points from a game where their opponents broke the rules.

Well there you go. Club statement released (doubtless someone will post a link). 

Agree with the words and the sentiments. SPFL and SFA appeals committee have got this wrong, but not a lot more we could have done, or can do now. 

3 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Well there you go. Club statement released (doubtless someone will post a link). 

Agree with the words and the sentiments. SPFL and SFA appeals committee have got this wrong, but not a lot more we could have done, or can do now. 

Ask and ye shall receive;

http://berwickrangers.com/club-statement-3/

Think there were more pressing matters to comment on but I appreciate the board's communication all the same. There simply isn't anything we can do and I hope that will be the end of that. Focus on Saturday now.

Edited by DutchBorderer

1 hour ago, DutchBorderer said:

Ask and ye shall receive;

http://berwickrangers.com/club-statement-3/

Think there were more pressing matters to comment on but I appreciate the board's communication all the same. There simply isn't anything we can do and I hope that will be the end of that. Focus on Saturday now.

Don't suppose anybody could copy and paste the statement?  For some reason the Berwick site is blocked at my work :lol: 

3 hours ago, BerwickMad said:

If league status is important, the time for action is now, because it’ll be extremely hard to ever get back here if we go down. I’ve little interest in seeing a downsized Berwick Rangers plodding along in the Lowland League in some Ainslie Park style ‘stadium’, whether that’s at the centre of the community or not.

I understand why you wont want to hear it but the LL is only going to get stronger and will soon be a more enjoyable league than SPFL2. 

16 teams playing each other twice a season at half the current price.  Use your parachute money well and you'll end up in the 'Irn Bru' cup as well as the Scottish where you can enjoy visiting and fucking your old rivals.

38 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Don't suppose anybody could copy and paste the statement?  For some reason the Berwick site is blocked at my work :lol: 

Quit your job, clearly not a place you want to work at :whistle Spoilered for browsing convenience;

Spoiler

Now that the Clyde FC appeal to the SFA was rejected on 15 April, this following an earlier SPFL decision to award 3-0 wins to Albion Rovers and Queen’s Park after alleged SPFL Rule breach by Clyde FC, Berwick Rangers would now comment:

Berwick Rangers are fully supportive of the Statement from Clyde FC made on Monday evening 15 April. The link to this is:

www.clydefc.co.uk/news

As a matter of note, Berwick Rangers had already tabled a rule change proposal  to the SPFL to allow a club to recall a player from a loan at any time, not just in a transfer window, and for players to play at all club levels not just Reserves, if recalled. This will be looked at in due course.

Berwick Rangers were advised that they could not be involved in any official appeal as they were not directly at that time involved in either game.

However Berwick Rangers feel that they have been hugely involved through no fault of their own, considering the current league positions.

Berwick Rangers question the timing of the announcement of the awarding of a 3-0 win to both other clubs, by the SPFL, this on the morning of games.

The result of the Clyde SFA appeal was held over from a weekend to the Monday.

There was no precedent in previous seasons, that Berwick Rangers were aware of, for awarding an opposition team a 3-0 win as well as inflicting penalties (this time on Clyde). The 2014 Peterhead v Ayr game is an example, when it was decided the game should replay, this after an ineligible player was used in the original game.

Clyde FC have highlighted this on comments in their statement including alleged quotes from the SPFL’s Neil Doncaster at the time.

Hearts FC also played an unregistered player this season in the Betfred Cup and the opposition, Cove, were not awarded the game. Hearts were deducted some points.

Berwick Rangers appreciate that if rules are breached some form of penalties are imposed but refer to above comments.

Berwick Rangers appreciate a season is over 36 games but simply highlight the above for consideration.

The club will not make any further comment at this stage and now the club will be focussing all efforts on the final three games of the league season and urge fans to join them in giving every support and encouragement to the Manager, Coaching Staff and Players.

As for the Lowland League being attractive and most support (supposedly) disappearing, I cannot think of a single person (okay, maybe that one Falkirk loony in the Clyde thread recently begging for relegation for the sake of facing some different clubs) who wants their club to play at a level lower than the highest possible. What good is 16 clubs when there's a few absolute duds in there, our ability to attract players shrinks, travelling support is lower, and standard of play is worse?

I know it's easy for me to say right now, but I would not give up on BRFC in the event of relegation; however, I could not blame anyone who did, especially after the last few years we've had. All relegated clubs, regardless of tier and country, lose some (paying) support and sometimes enough is enough for long-suffering fans. Despite how not-good our current performance is I see encouraging attendance numbers still, so I like to think and hope the initial drop in supporters through the gates would not be too bad.

However, on paper and in practice (admittedly, East Stirlingshire is a small and unrepresentative sample) it is rather difficult to be promoted from the HL/LL and we could well be in for a stay of more than a (few) year(s), in which case you have to wonder what the effects will be. Certainly our chances of escaping relegation at the moment are better than going up next season (if we are to get relegated), so I can once again fully understand why people in this thread and outside of it absolutely refuse to think about it.

Edited by DutchBorderer