Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

3 hours ago, Redcar said:

I'm about to renew my membership of the SC and the ST and have recently purchased another 50 shares in the club. You might think that one of these outlets might try to explain the following 

a) Doug Watkins leapfrogging John Bell to become Vice-Chair, b) did JB know, and if not, is that constitutional outside of an AGM/EGM (I guess it is, but it seems more like power grab than democracy), c) what is the Director of Football's role, d) did the manager know of the appointment, e) what is it all meant to achieve?

Other than the minimalist club statement confirming it is a done deal, I've heard nowt from the 3 organisations of which I'm a member. Living 100 miles away prevents me from playing an active role in these organisations, but they absolutely should talk to their members on issues as radical as this.

I am a friend of Eric Tait, occasionally communicate with the manager, and frequent the Curfew Micropub whose patron has his own contacts in the town. It is utterly ridiculous - and potentially inaccurate - that I get 95% of my info from these sources, and virtually shag all from the organisations mentioned.

Any chance the ST, SC and club can make a clear statement to the people who pay into their coffers? And maybe start talking constructively to each other as well as their members?

For some years the club's internal politics has raised its head after another pish season. For it to happen - without explanation -  in July, is embarrassing.

This is exactly why I stopped my donations ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Interestingly I see the club are advocating a pound a point this season ??? Conversely are they paying out for points dropped because I would consider this then.

I’m a member of both and on the committee for the Supporters Club. The SC AGM took place last Tuesday with 3/4 directors in attendance.

There was a pretty decent discussion at the end where people raised some points with directors regarding the season ahead. For example I suggested the budget for the manager should be higher as ‘money in the bank’ is pointless if we go down. I said pretty much what I’ve said on here, that the club need to make itself as attractive as possible for potential investors and new leadership and the rats in a sack behaviour in the boardroom for the last decade plus needed to stop or it’s a total turn off for anyone new.

The committee isn’t at full numbers, so Dougie Watkin put himself forward to come on and was voted on. Absolutely nothing was mentioned about him becoming Vice Chairman at the meeting. Nothing was mentioned about Eric Tait becoming director of football or why we needed one. Nothing was mentioned about the board changing their decision on Tweedmouth Rangers playing on Shielfield. Nothing was mentioned about the stair lift thing (not that I was desperate to find out about it). These decisions as far as I’m aware were made AFTER the SC AGM. They weren’t made by the SC, our representative on the board, or the Trust, whatever we think about these decisions.

But anyway, the SC and Trust don’t make the decisions. The committees of each will have their view and ask their representatives on the board to push for this or whatever, but it’s not their job to justify decisions the board make. The board have made decisions and not run these past the SC, and I doubt they have the Trust either. I suppose it’s open to to debate whether they should or not.

Just to add, when Lenny became chairman he was asked to stand down from the SC committee and he did so. I would expect Dougie Watkin to do the same, if asked. I’m sure he had some idea about what was going to happen with his position on the board before he put himself forward. We’ll see.

On 06/07/2018 at 18:21, BerwickMad said:

I’m a member of both and on the committee for the Supporters Club. The SC AGM took place last Tuesday with 3/4 directors in attendance.

There was a pretty decent discussion at the end where people raised some points with directors regarding the season ahead. For example I suggested the budget for the manager should be higher as ‘money in the bank’ is pointless if we go down. I said pretty much what I’ve said on here, that the club need to make itself as attractive as possible for potential investors and new leadership and the rats in a sack behaviour in the boardroom for the last decade plus needed to stop or it’s a total turn off for anyone new.

The committee isn’t at full numbers, so Dougie Watkin put himself forward to come on and was voted on. Absolutely nothing was mentioned about him becoming Vice Chairman at the meeting. Nothing was mentioned about Eric Tait becoming director of football or why we needed one. Nothing was mentioned about the board changing their decision on Tweedmouth Rangers playing on Shielfield. Nothing was mentioned about the stair lift thing (not that I was desperate to find out about it). These decisions as far as I’m aware were made AFTER the SC AGM. They weren’t made by the SC, our representative on the board, or the Trust, whatever we think about these decisions.

But anyway, the SC and Trust don’t make the decisions. The committees of each will have their view and ask their representatives on the board to push for this or whatever, but it’s not their job to justify decisions the board make. The board have made decisions and not run these past the SC, and I doubt they have the Trust either. I suppose it’s open to to debate whether they should or not.

Just to add, when Lenny became chairman he was asked to stand down from the SC committee and he did so. I would expect Dougie Watkin to do the same, if asked. I’m sure he had some idea about what was going to happen with his position on the board before he put himself forward. We’ll see.

Seriously, thanks for all that.

For clarity, I'm not expecting the SC or ST to justify the Board's decisions, but these recent decisions require explanation and I think the supporters organisations should be at the front of the queue asking "why" on behalf of their members.

All this subterfuge amongst some very strong characters (virtually all of whom I personally  like) at the club will not clear the negative vibes drifting down from the Boardroom.

EDIT to add that a personal message from the Trust has satisfactorily explained their position to me. 

Edited by Redcar

1 hour ago, BerwickMad said:

A decent post BM.

I'd suggest that if the major shareholders are dissatisfied with the performance of the company directors then they should be doing something about it. The following link gives a simple explanation of the role and expectations of a company director. Item 3 seems to be particularly relevant to the board of BRFC. 

#cronyismout

https://www.burges-salmon.com/news-and-insight/publications/the-responsibilities-and-duties-of-a-company-director/

Are we just cannon fodder or what?!! According to both Hibs,Alloa & SJFC we are a poor league 2 side. So what’s the point? Might as well play teams of our ability to get a bit of team cohesion rather than demoralising humpings from teams fitter,stronger and technically better. Only bonus was a good crowd v hibs. Thoughts?

I think the main driver behind getting big teams in is the increase in gate receipt, however marginal they might be. Secondarily, how many amateur would be able to contest a friendly on Tuesday night during what can be considered the holiday period?

Think there's an argument to be made for increased resistance as well, would you really learn that much more from playing, I dunno, Gala Fairydean Rovers, than from Hibs, Alloa, and St. Johnstone? If anything, big opposition will have an easier time exploiting the gaps in the team and tactics, which at this point of the season is valuable to identify and remedy.

Finally, getting our collective arses pounded by the big boys.... well, if you're a Berwick player and you get demoralized by defeat against top teams, you might not be cut out for the job. No one in their right mind would expect the team as it is to keep these bigger teams to a draw. The League Cup ties v. Annan and Airdrie will be more representative.

3 hours ago, sammyreidloyal said:

Are we just cannon fodder or what?!! According to both Hibs,Alloa & SJFC we are a poor league 2 side. So what’s the point? Might as well play teams of our ability to get a bit of team cohesion rather than demoralising humpings from teams fitter,stronger and technically better. Only bonus was a good crowd v hibs. Thoughts?

Was about to pose a similar question myself. We don't get much opportunity to develop our attacking play in these thumpings, and some of the new lads stepping up from junior level might wonder what's hit them.

Can see the merit in playing Hibs but we need to mix in a couple of games against lesser opposition too.

It is a tad puzzling to have only played 3 "tough" friendlies, in the week before the League Cup starts... Raith would have been little different to Alloa had it gone ahead... and not put some kind of more winnable game in there. You'd suspect the section is just regarded as an extension of pre-season, given the near-impossibility of a club like Berwick actually progressing, but equally it pits us against 2 Premiership teams, 1 middling SPFL1 side, and Annan (away, first-up).

You can argue it both ways of course. Playing against better teams requires a great deal of effort, which should help with sharpness and fitness - and it puts the defence through the mill which should benefit them (albeit you worry conceding 13 goals in a week could also demoralise them a bit). Bigger concern is maybe the attack who've had little opportunity and just a solitary goal.

5 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

how many amateur would be able to contest a friendly on Tuesday night during what can be considered the holiday period?

Tbf - there's dozens of friendlies last night and tonight involving Lowland, East of Scotland, junior, and amateur clubs. It's presumably a conscious choice not to be playing at the weekend, too.

5 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

I dare say we do, folk who wanted a 'lesser' team to play have gotten their wish. If we actually draw or God forbid lose to Service Strollers I will start getting worried;

https://twitter.com/OfficialBRFC/status/1017335417031593991

Results don't matter in friendly games all about fitness and giving your players game time.

6 minutes ago, sammyreidloyal said:

2-0 v CSS much more like it. Right sort of oppo and a wee lift before it all begins.

Wasn't as clear cut as the score suggests but a decent win on a tricky pitch. Murrell scored from the edge of the box with a lovely strike. Second was a deflected Healy shot. Two trialist's started but overall didn't convince. Excellent performances from Jack Cook (MOTM) and Gary Phillips.