Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

It is pathetic that people would look to target a friendly like this to cause trouble just to make their political point.  It is the supporters who will be left out of pocket for especially the travelling Raith support given the distance to and from Berwick that I have sympathy for.
I guess there is no other option if the advice from police is there is a serious risk to those attending, as I guess switching the date of the game is probably not practical due to the club's pre season arrangements.
I am disappointed that something like this can still happen these days.
What's meant to be going on ?

2 minutes ago, mo83 said:
5 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:
It is pathetic that people would look to target a friendly like this to cause trouble just to make their political point.  It is the supporters who will be left out of pocket for especially the travelling Raith support given the distance to and from Berwick that I have sympathy for.
I guess there is no other option if the advice from police is there is a serious risk to those attending, as I guess switching the date of the game is probably not practical due to the club's pre season arrangements.
I am disappointed that something like this can still happen these days.

What's meant to be going on ?

Northumberland police have advised Berwick and Raith that right wing extremists were looking to target the friendly between the club's at Shielfield.

The club's were advised there was a risk to fans attending and that the game should be called off.

I agree with the decision as fans safety should not be risked but this is something that should not be happening.

4 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

Such a shame, hopefully the clubs won't forget this ordeal and agree to a friendly next pre-season, imagine the Raith fans would've liked to see Berwick (when's the last time Rovers were at Shielfield anyway?).

Last season in the Development League.

Daryl Healy joins Berwick from Selkirk, where he netted 12 goals across 30 matches last seson. Good to see the our selection of strikers being bolstered, even if it's another young lad. Around 185 or so centimeters so hopefully effective in the air.

On 30/06/2018 at 13:36, DutchBorderer said:

Such a shame, hopefully the clubs won't forget this ordeal and agree to a friendly next pre-season, imagine the Raith fans would've liked to see Berwick (when's the last time Rovers were at Shielfield anyway?).

For the league I think it was the end of season 2007/2008, Rovers won 5-2 with Berwick going 2-0 up after some typically wayward goalkeeping from Keiron Renton, before we piled on with 5 goals. Wiki reckons Fraser McLaren and Scott Gemmill scored for Berwick and Graham Weir got two for us, alongside Derek Carcary, Robert Sloan and a rare one from Lee Bryce.

I mind losing the rag with Renton after weeks of shite goalkeeping, and that continued into the next week against P'Heid. He was dropped for the promotion play offs and his replacement sold the jerseys against Airdrie, before finishing off yet another doomed play off campaign with a third keeper in three games for the 2nd leg.

Edited by renton

Just doing the rounds of my daily read at PnB threads, and I've become increasingly interested in the Berwick one. Obviously Airdrie play you a couple of times already in both cups, but surely you guys must be concerned for this coming season.
With the likes of cowden adding a couple of hardened pros (ohh err) to sh*tfest there way to midtable mediocrity, and Edinburgh looking like they're making the next logical step in their clubs progression by signing likes of Handling and Balatoni ([emoji7].) Is there a danger you boys will be left behind, signing absolute dugmeat from EOS?
Not a dig BTW, a genuine question.

Just doing the rounds of my daily read at PnB threads, and I've become increasingly interested in the Berwick one. Obviously Airdrie play you a couple of times already in both cups, but surely you guys must be concerned for this coming season.
With the likes of cowden adding a couple of hardened pros (ohh err) to sh*tfest there way to midtable mediocrity, and Edinburgh looking like they're making the next logical step in their clubs progression by signing likes of Handling and Balatoni ([emoji7].) Is there a danger you boys will be left behind, signing absolute dugmeat from EOS?
Whilst wrestling with phraseology like utter dugmeat being not having a dig, some might concede to your point chum.

Far too early and, watching Brazil v Mexico right now, good teams are demonstrably a successful sum of all their parts.

I'm am optimistic chappie.

Answer,

who lnows?  I can’t say we’re favourite to win the League but the ‘know the game’ pundits have predicted Clyde to win this League for the last 3 years.  I think we’re a couple of loanees short atm and I guess we’ll see A Trialist make a number of appearances in the up and coming friendlies 

I think it's between us, Albion and maybe QP. I'll reserve full judgment till I see the new lads play but at the minute we'll need to rely on our hilarious new director of football to attract Ronaldo to make other sides jealous of our Summer. At least football is coming home (till tomorrow, anyway).

5 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

With the likes of cowden adding a couple of hardened pros (ohh err) to sh*tfest there way to midtable mediocrity, and Edinburgh looking like they're making the next logical step in their clubs progression by signing likes of Handling and Balatoni (emoji7.png.) Is there a danger you boys will be left behind, signing absolute dugmeat from EOS?

Well yes, obviously. But why the dugmeat comment? If you know that these signings are crap, please say why!

Suspect you have no more idea than anyone else. Plenty of decent players have stepped up from the Juniors or EOS, so we will have to wait and see.

Dare say that the manager would prefer some of his other targets to have signed and won't be chuffed at the crap budget. But one thing I'm confident of is that this team won't sink for lack of effort or organisation. 

So August/September will show if they are genuinely good enough at this level.

Might not be, might surprise a few. 

2 hours ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:
6 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:
With the likes of cowden adding a couple of hardened pros (ohh err) to sh*tfest there way to midtable mediocrity, and Edinburgh looking like they're making the next logical step in their clubs progression by signing likes of Handling and Balatoni (emoji7.png.) Is there a danger you boys will be left behind, signing absolute dugmeat from EOS?

I think it's between us, Albion and maybe QP. I'll reserve full judgment till I see the new lads play but at the minute we'll need to rely on our hilarious new director of football to attract Ronaldo to make other sides jealous of our Summer. At least football is coming home (till tomorrow, anyway).

No chance QP will be down there. You'll finish 9th, comfortably, with an extra £1k in the bank from your Pounds For Points scheme. Only a £69k loss this year.

Well yes, obviously. But why the dugmeat comment? If you know that these signings are crap, please say why!
Suspect you have no more idea than anyone else. Plenty of decent players have stepped up from the Juniors or EOS, so we will have to wait and see.
Dare say that the manager would prefer some of his other targets to have signed and won't be chuffed at the crap budget. But one thing I'm confident of is that this team won't sink for lack of effort or organisation. 
So August/September will show if they are genuinely good enough at this level.
Might not be, might surprise a few. 
It's not the fact that there's people been signed from juniors/EOS. As you quite rightly said, there's many over the years have stepped up and done well, there's usually one every 2 or so years that actually sign with a team that don't look out of place, and even rarer than that is someone who works there way up the levels.
It wasn't so much a dig at the signings themselves, but more so the probability that with the amount of guys coming from that level (as with Albion Rovers too) the chances are, it'll be a straight shootout between you 2 for bottom spot.
IMO of course!

2 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

It's not the fact that there's people been signed from juniors/EOS. As you quite rightly said, there's many over the years have stepped up and done well, there's usually one every 2 or so years that actually sign with a team that don't look out of place, and even rarer than that is someone who works there way up the levels.
It wasn't so much a dig at the signings themselves, but more so the probability that with the amount of guys coming from that level (as with Albion Rovers too) the chances are, it'll be a straight shootout between you 2 for bottom spot.
IMO of course!

Fair enough!

The other slightly more promising thing for our season is that we have retained 12 of last season. Easy to say that is a negative, but I think 8 points from the last 12 is a decent sign. 

This is definitely a post that someone may re-visit if it all goes tits up, but I'm certainly not writing us off just yet. For me, the more money you pay, the more likely you are to get a quality player, but also the more likely you are to get an arrogant i'm-better-than-this twat who will bring down the whole dressing room. 

On balance, a decent player budget at this level is hugely important, but not necessarily the main thing. 

Gulp.

Fair enough!
The other slightly more promising thing for our season is that we have retained 12 of last season. Easy to say that is a negative, but I think 8 points from the last 12 is a decent sign. 
This is definitely a post that someone may re-visit if it all goes tits up, but I'm certainly not writing us off just yet. For me, the more money you pay, the more likely you are to get a quality player, but also the more likely you are to get an arrogant i'm-better-than-this twat who will bring down the whole dressing room. 
On balance, a decent player budget at this level is hugely important, but not necessarily the main thing. 
Gulp.
That's absolutely fair enough.

I asked the initial question just to gauge where Berwick fans feel they are at themselves rather than just from someone like myself looking in.
Best of luck anyway.

1 hour ago, Redcar said:

Fair enough!

Gulp.

It's better than the 3 from 36 (and 9 from 54) which preceded it, certainly...