Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

Albion Rovers are now using the hashtag #thegreatescape on Twitter. Let's hope that hubris becomes their downfall.

Yesterday's result was as much a disappointment as it was expected. We 100% need to take three points off either QP or Annan now, preferably more as Rovers will be playing the Spiders soon enough too. Last day advantage may well go to the Coatbridge lot seeing as Annan will likely be saving energy for the play-offs by then. Depending on the situation Clyde might do us a solid when we play them too.

That being said, it's embarassing that I've resorted to talking about what other clubs will hopefully do for us; says it all about how hopeless I feel about our own squad. I appreciate all the players, but they really, really, REALLY need to turn a page now and do it ASAP.

I have to say that I commented a few weeks ago that there was no way Rovers would catch you but I was clearly very wrong. Big reaction needed from Berwick needed on Saturday. An Edinburgh and Peterhead double would do nicely thank you. 

1 hour ago, A Believer said:
10 hours ago, SLClyde said:
Wonder what the Berwick fan that said staying up was secured after beating Peterhead is saying now. Crazy statement to have made. 

Would you like to enlighten us Fergie1?

Probably got a bit over excited as I’ve already said in a previous post. It was probably more of a shock we won that game than Albion winning 3 on the bounce. 

I wonder if you still think Jonny is the right man, he hasn’t had enough time, has inherited a crap squad... 

Probably got a bit over excited as I’ve already said in a previous post. It was probably more of a shock we won that game than Albion winning 3 on the bounce.   

I wonder if you still think Jonny is the right man, he hasn’t had enough time, has inherited a crap squad... 

I still think your previous pearl of wisdom that we should immediately sack the manager, as there was a long list of better managers who'd be ready to take the job, was nonsense; but brilliantly trumped by 'now we've secured our league status'. 

Breathless in anticipation of your next one.

42 minutes ago, A Believer said:

I still think your previous pearl of wisdom that we should immediately sack the manager, as there was a long list of better managers who'd be ready to take the job, was nonsense; but brilliantly trumped by 'now we've secured our league status'. 

Breathless in anticipation of your next one.

So you don’t believe we should have got rid of him earlier and brought in someone new?  Would we be bottom of the league right now had we done so? Probably not. 

Potentially dicing with the future of the club. 

So you don’t believe we should have got rid of him earlier and brought in someone new?  Would we be bottom of the league right now had we done so? Probably not. 
Potentially dicing with the future of the club. 

We can't add to the player pool. 'The dressing room' is unified and the group is working hard together. Most involved in football recognise the importance of unity and 100% collective commitment to a common goal on this situation.

Clearly, I just don't believe, as you (and others) do, disrupting that at the 11th hour is the best plan. IMHO that would be more dicing with our future.

I'll be there at the open forum on Saturday to listen, and contrubute, to the discussion and will likely be supportive of the group, as I think that's the best thing for our club right now.

I really hope you'll come along and voice your opposition, with your list of prospective managers we missed out on, and put it to the board in person. More might agree and you can lead the change.

13 minutes ago, A Believer said:

We can't add to the player pool. 'The dressing room' is unified and the group is working hard together. Most involved in football recognise the importance of unity and 100% collective commitment to a common goal on this situation.

Clearly, I just don't believe, as you (and others) do, disrupting that at the 11th hour is the best plan. IMHO that would be more dicing with our future.

I'll be there at the open forum on Saturday to listen, and contrubute, to the discussion and will likely be supportive of the group, as I think that's the best thing for our club right now.

I really hope you'll come along and voice your opposition, with your list of prospective managers we missed out on, and put it to the board in person. More might agree and you can lead the change.

Agree 100% about unity and dressing room togetherness, but what is to say That is there? Jonnys interviews? Effort on the pitch? I keep seeing people say we can’t fault the effort, I’m sure we can. 

I don’t believe that Is there a unity. But that’s what we are all on here for, to voice our opinions. Now is the 11th hour of course and far too late to try and make a change, i suggested we changed him quite a while back. It will be interesting to see what Jonnys thoughts on the lowland league are and if he will still be around if we do end up there. Again you harp on about my suggestions for possible successors, that is not my job to do that I’m afraid, but if you don’t believe there are probably doesn’t say much for what you think of the club. 

Alwx mcleish is looking for a job...

Saturdays meeting needs to concentrate on the present and the future. Unless Johnny invites comments on what we think he has done wrong, it is not the time to be destructively critical. 

50/50 whether I can make it, but I hope it is as positive as possible. If there is a further loss of points to Albion on Saturday, Johnny needs to immediately plan for the play offs, keeping the likes of Brydon, Barr, Forbes and anyone with niggling injuries wrapped in cotton wool. Even Ousy See. I too called for the Board to look for a replacement Manager a few weeks ago, but that moment has gone. Johnny got a performance out of the team v Peterhead that nobody expected and we need to get behind him with hope that he can do it again. 

John Bell has longer term issues to think about. Finances for a start, and would the English pyramid be a better bet than the Spfl if we can't compete for players in the Lowland League? 

24 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

How far would you be down the pyramid though? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_league_system

I reckon National League North (6th tier) at best (and that's being optimistic), but no way will BRFC be allowed straight into that league. It is much more likely that we would have to start from step 8, and there's no telling what effect that will have on the club and its ability to claw up the pyramid.

All fair comment. My chief worry about the Lowland League is that unless we get out in the first year using the parachute payment, we will be there forever. Who would sign from the Edinburgh area for similar money to other clubs, but have to make a 100+ mile trip for home games? 

The other option is to have split training with half the team from the North East, and half from Edinburgh in the Lowland League. Not very satisfactory either. 

Anyhow, academic for now. 

I'm getting a feeling of acceptance of our fate,  not a good sign.  i too thought a change would help but yes that moment has gone.  So let's not talk about next season yet, this squad and management team need to keep us in the league by merit or via the play-offs, let's focus on the job in hand.  

I’m not sure what the point is in Jonny being at the 11.30 meeting. I’d assume we’ll be asked our honest thoughts about plans for the club going forward. I’d rather he just 100% focus on the team at this point tbh.

51 minutes ago, BerwickMad said:

I’m not sure what the point is in Jonny being at the 11.30 meeting. I’d assume we’ll be asked our honest thoughts about plans for the club going forward. I’d rather he just 100% focus on the team at this point tbh.

Top post.