Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

Nah I mean a player is released from Club A (say at the start of November) and signs for Club B as an amateur. Can they put him on a professional contract and start paying him come January, or must he remain as an amateur?

Ah, sorry mate, picked you up wrong. Yip, as Ammo has said above, you can do that and it’s something we will no doubt look at doing with Mackin.

I’m actually trying to think of an example of this happening previously and I can’t off the top of my head, but I know it has been spoken about regarding Mackin.

7 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:
14 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:
Nah I mean a player is released from Club A (say at the start of November) and signs for Club B as an amateur. Can they put him on a professional contract and start paying him come January, or must he remain as an amateur?

Im sure the club can sign him on a professional deal as soon as the window opens, as Stirling will probably do with Mackin in January.

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

Ah, sorry mate, picked you up wrong. Yip, as Ammo has said above, you can do that and it’s something we will no doubt look at doing with Mackin.

I’m actually trying to think of an example of this happening previously and I can’t off the top of my head, but I know it has been spoken about regarding Mackin.

Presumably clubs can therefore also pay a player 150% of their is ostensible worth for January to April, to make-up for having to treat them like an amateur in November & December?

Presumably clubs can therefore also pay a player 150% of their is ostensible worth for January to April, to make-up for having to treat them like an amateur in November & December?
This I have absolutely no idea about. But I dare say anyone signed as an "amateur" won't have to worry about their "wages" until actually signing.

I presume they can, as long as it fits in with financial FairPlay guidelines. I’m not saying it is happening but I’m sure it could be done by club boards.

The could just use the QP ‘travelling expenses’ model whilst the player is an amateur.

IMG_5260.jpg

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 22:01, HibeeJibee said:

Out of interest can you take a player you released outside the window and signed as an amateur, and convert them into a professional during a window?

Yes you can.

Edited by WC Boggs

Can't remember which thread it was on but a few weeks ago I said we had 5 winnable games in a row. 

We won 3, and lost the other 2 (at least in part) due to getting 3 sent off at home to Beath and their resulting suspensions. 

We now have a run of more difficult games, but Johnny Harvey, and the end of the Boardroom wars, has really lifted the spirits at the club. 

Happi days (geddit? ) at Berwick just now.

537 there yesterday to witness a good win, and what a difference it makes to see the manager lead his team over to the ducket for mutual applause at the end. 

Any extra info from anyone about our new signing Mr. Happi, will be most welcome. 

I feel refreshing optimism for the club with recent results, and particularly with the messages of glasnost across the various boards. Fantastic; truly. Let's also please keep positive perspective next week, when no trialists will be available; all will certainly not be lost if we don't prevail. But hey, who knows, we're on a roll!!

'Len Eyre also said that the Board is considering moving the football club from being a public limited company to a community interest company. Another guest, Supporters Club chairman Bill Parkin, also spoke on this theme, acknowledging that such a move would have to be endorsed by a majority of shareholders.'

This is an interesting snippet from the Trust meeting on Saturday, thoughts anyone? 

Not a Berwick fan as such but they are the nearest club to where I live so pop along to support them every so often. 

Was there Saturday with my son and really enjoyed the match. There was a really good atmosphere and if Johnny Harvey (who really impresses me) can continue to improve things I can see attendances improving and the feel good factor growing greater. I think Harvey has huge ambitions and knocking around the bottom is not for him. Berwick fans should be excited. 

'Len Eyre also said that the Board is considering moving the football club from being a public limited company to a community interest company. Another guest, Supporters Club chairman Bill Parkin, also spoke on this theme, acknowledging that such a move would have to be endorsed by a majority of shareholders.'

This is an interesting snippet from the Trust meeting on Saturday, thoughts anyone? 
Without knowing the full rationale, anything strengthening bonds with local families and encouraging more people to support, and even develop to play for the club, sounds like a good thing.

2 hours ago, A Believer said:
On 19/11/2018 at 13:33, dougster said:

Without knowing the full rationale, anything strengthening bonds with local families and encouraging more people to support, and even develop to play for the club, sounds like a good thing.

Need more info, but sounds good in theory. A club run for the community it serves rather than (nominally) its shareholders. 

1 hour ago, Redcar said:

Need more info, but sounds good in theory. A club run for the community it serves rather than (nominally) its shareholders. 

That was my next question would the shareholders be willing to effectively give their shares away, Im not too fussed but do they get bought out? Im thinking major shareholders not us minnows

That was my next question would the shareholders be willing to effectively give their shares away, Im not too fussed but do they get bought out? Im thinking major shareholders not us minnows

I think it's the share dividends that are reinvested in the CIC, rather than relinquishing the actual shares. I'm not sure to many holidays are planned based on BRFC dividend return.

46 minutes ago, dougster said:

I had a look on Wiki and glazed over after a few minutes. 

You can still have shareholders in a CIC, but profit doesn't go their way. (So, not sure what they get out of it to be honest. Perhaps just voting rights for a cause they believe in, and the occasional prawn sandwich).

Profit at this level, of course, is a purely theoretical concept. Unless we beat East Fife and get drawn at home to Celtic, live on Sky. 

Not a Berwick fan as such but they are the nearest club to where I live so pop along to support them every so often. 
Was there Saturday with my son and really enjoyed the match. There was a really good atmosphere and if Johnny Harvey (who really impresses me) can continue to improve things I can see attendances improving and the feel good factor growing greater. I think Harvey has huge ambitions and knocking around the bottom is not for him. Berwick fans should be excited. 

Cheers Mr Harvey, brother Harvey [emoji104]