Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

First of all, I hope Robbie is ok, a job affecting your health is not worth it, not worth it at all.

secondly, I said a month ago I don’t like the direction we are all pulling in. The however, however is this just might be the catalyst for change we need even if it is in unfortunate circumstances. 

3 hours ago, bravehearts dad said:

So Robbie has gone. What about his team I.e. Davie Burrell, Jim McQueen etc? Have they also resigned or are they holding the fort?

Good question! More money from a threadbare budget if we choose to replace them.

Hopefully, we get someone new in quick. A little bit of time to learn about the squad, then 5 successive games that we should be winning.

Unlike a managerial sacking though, it's unlikely that somebody will have been lined up and waiting in the wings (or on the roof)

It was sobering coming away from Ainslie Park yesterday. We'd been comprehensively outplayed by a club that only entered league football 2 years ago but are now fighting for promotion to SPFL1, while we look to be fighting relegation to LL, and there looked that difference between the sides. In the 2 years since they came up City have had to build up the off-field infrastructure needed at league level in terms of personnel, professionalism, etc. and have done this while also becoming homeless. Though their crowds have shot up 250% or more compared to LL, they're still well below our crowds, too.

Without reducing it to the clichés - true or otherwise - of "players don't want to travel down the A1 for home games", "Berwick are an unfashionable club", and so on, everyone must ask how this has come to pass and how it can be arrested. Looking as we are for our 8th manager in 10yrs also tells its own story.

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It was sobering coming away from Ainslie Park yesterday. We'd been comprehensively outplayed by a club that only entered league football 2 years ago but are now fighting for promotion to SPFL1, while we look to be fighting relegation to LL, and there looked that difference between the sides. In the 2 years since they came up City have had to build up the off-field infrastructure needed at league level in terms of personnel, professionalism, etc. and have done this while also becoming homeless. Though their crowds have shot up 250% or more compared to LL, they're still well below our crowds, too.

Without reducing it to the clichés - true or otherwise - of "players don't want to travel down the A1 for home games", "Berwick are an unfashionable club", and so on, everyone must ask how this has come to pass and how it can be arrested. Looking as we are for our 8th manager in 10yrs also tells its own story.

City have obviously had money put into them to get that squad together, while Berwick are just living and building a squad on what they have much like us.

If Berwick were "splashing the cash" like they were in the early noughties you would soon have players signing for you. 

5 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Sorry to intrude in your thread but thought that the quote “then 5 successive games that we should be winning” was a bit optimistic from a supporter of a team that has won 2 and lost 9 league games so far this season!

1 is at home to Beath, another (the most difficult of the 5) is against stuttering Elgin, 2 are against the teams we've already beaten, the fifth is against a team near the foot of the Lowland League.

Apart from that I was talking bollocks!

Edited by Redcar

Feel for Robbie. He was dealt a shit card in the summer and by the time he did receive a boost to his budget, it was almost impossible to bring in players beyond who was left. He should go on to succeed elsewhere and if he does, see no reason why he couldn’t be a candidate for the job in future, praying the club then, isn’t as shambolic as it was over the summer.

As for a replacement. I’m torn between someone who knows the league and stabilise things, and an up and coming manager who’s been doing it in the juniors/non-league.

Neil Oliver fits neither of these, and I still find the suggestion from some that he in anyway deserves ‘a chance’ utterly ridiculous considering he’s made next to no effort to do anything in management. Being from Berwick isn’t enough.

Absolutely gutted to see Robbie leave after the game on Saturday. I feel for him and as BM says he will bounce back when the time is right.  He was the right man for the job but preparations for this season were not good with developments in the boardroom. 

The post below isn't meant to point the finger at anyone but more a look at how difficult the job of managing Berwick Rangers has become.  We are reaching one of the most crucial periods in the clubs history and everyone needs to be together to see us through. The threat of relegation is real and getting closer by the day, the outcome of that is honestly not worth thinking about.

Looking back at the last four managerial appointments, I believe all four were good decisions but the one common denominator was evident with the quartet and that was the struggle to attract the right players to the club. The four were all good coaches and tactically knew the game.  I didn't agree with the way John Coughlin handled his exit first time around so I didn't entirely agree with bringing him back but certainly didn't doubt his managerial skills. During John's first spell as manager he had a good group of players with a solid backbone with the likes of O'Connor, Horn, McNicholl and Wood. We were able to compete in the transfer market back then and also match wages, the additions of Diack and McGroaty made a huge difference to the pool when joining in the January window. Both based in the west and didn't have a problem with travelling. I am not saying we had a massive playing budget but other clubs had similar amounts to spend at that time and we pulled out a few stops to attract players to the club.

Since then our budget has remained at similar level but other clubs have seen considerable investment and as a result attracted better players. Edinburgh City is a prime example of this and while competing with players in the same catchment area, the lure of that extra £50 - £100 a week is the difference. The answer certainly isn't to gamble and throw money at players we can't afford, we need to be sensible. This makes the job extremley difficult for any manager. The biggest factor is money and players tend to go where they get the most.

Ian Little, Colin Cameron, John Coughlin and Robbie Horn were extremely good managers and getting some-one better is going to be difficult for the reasons listed above. Yes it could have been so different and we should be looking at a totally different squad right now had we planned accordingly this summer. Robbie was first told a budget, then that figure was reduced and then returned to the orignal figure before being increased at the end of the window. The club weren't facing any immediate cash problems and that extra 20% from the outset would have brought a totally different outlook. Of course it's much easier after the event but thankfully the people involved in making such financial decisions are no longer at the club.

Players Robbie targeted are listed below, he knew what he was looking for and knew where he wanted to be with his squad but couldn't compete financially with a few moving to clubs closer to their home as well.

Josh Peters (Queens Park), Kris Renton (Cowdenbeath), Alan Smith, Blair Henderson, Danny Handling, Scott Shephard, Liam Henderson, Adam Watson (All Edinburgh City). Johnny Court (East Fife), Dougie Hill (Brechin City), Dean Brett and Alan Horne both decided to stay at Bonnyrigg, Peter Ramage (USA), Jamie Longworth (East Kilbride), Andy Little (not sure where he ended up). There will be many more I don't know about and have forgotten but just imagine how demoralising that was for Robbie. Knock back after knock back.

Looking forward, I have been saying for a while that the SC and ST need to go public and put there shares up for sale in the hope they can find a buyer/invester to come on board. People keep saying there is nobody out there but it costs nothing to find out. After all we have a player in our squad right now that was part of a deal that offered to put 600k into a club in our league during the summer. We aren't we speaking to him or made an approach. 

I wish good health to Robbie and as a friend and supporter thank him and his coaching staff for their efforts. Good Luck to Lenny, John and the rest of the board this week with the task of finding a replacement. Personally I think there is a standout candidate in Johnny Harvey. 

19 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

City have obviously had money put into them to get that squad together, while Berwick are just living and building a squad on what they have much like us.

If Berwick were "splashing the cash" like they were in the early noughties you would soon have players signing for you. 

I mean, c'mon Berwick: all it took was a common or garden time machine and an almanac of sports results for City to get rich..

biff.jpg.62b6dde1101c55c38e167b917c58d574.jpg

The new plaque going up above the soon to be renamed Council Facility at Ainslie Park...

7 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Can someone tell me why your, now ex, manager was apparently standing behind the goal at the Edinburgh City game?

I thought that was strange when I read it.

is that allowed, ? You get sent off for coming out the technical area. That’s well outside !

2 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

I thought that was strange when I read it.

is that allowed, ? You get sent off for coming out the technical area. That’s well outside !

Doesn't really matter now, I see Burrell has quit too 

I’ve never had  any sympathy for Berwick Rangers in the past. However, after the last two years we have endured, I wouldn’t want any spfl club to drop out the league to let in a bunch of tossers  like EK or Cove.

So this appointment is a biggie for Berwick as I think they are in greater peril than Albion at the moment. I can see all the mistakes Cowden made being made by Berwick now. The ship needs steadied and soon or the LL beckons.

5 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

I’ve never had  any sympathy for Berwick Rangers in the past. However, after the last two years we have endured, I wouldn’t want any spfl club to drop out the league to let in a bunch of tossers  like EK or Cove.

So this appointment is a biggie for Berwick as I think they are in greater peril than Albion at the moment. I can see all the mistakes Cowden made being made by Berwick now. The ship needs steadied and soon or the LL beckons.

The "sorting out" is done, upstairs at least. (Boardroom coup, Boardroom counter coup, original coup leaders booted off Board).

Whichever side of that argument you are on, that fight has been fought. There will be more boardroom changes/additions I guess, but without any of the hostilities. (I hope!!!)

The problem is the fallout from that i.e. a poor team due to a poor budget and now a departed manager.

If a new gaffer can get more out of this bunch of honest but limited players, I'll be pleased, but he will have little opportunity to add anyone new until January so we are likely to continue to struggle against anyone any good.

Like I said above though, the next 5 games give us a half decent chance to improve our results. Cup tie v Gretna will be a big big game for us.

On 08/10/2018 at 11:50, Disc Potato said:

I wish good health to Robbie and as a friend and supporter thank him and his coaching staff for their efforts. Good Luck to Lenny, John and the rest of the board this week with the task of finding a replacement. Personally I think there is a standout candidate in Johnny Harvey. 

Based on what, one cup win?

Compared to Robbie, Harvey has a lot of catching up to do and Berwick would be back at the same position: no money and a manager plucked from the lower leagues.

47 minutes ago, MDM said:

Compared to Robbie, Harvey has a lot of catching up to do and Berwick would be back at the same position: no money and a manager plucked from the lower leagues.

Aye but I reckon Penicuik would beat Berwick at the moment. 

Doesn't really matter what manager you have regarding no money, it is what it is. 

2 hours ago, MDM said:

Harvey, is in my opinion, an outstanding candidate for this vacant post, his attention to detail is second to none, his players all play for him and without question he demands standards that he himself has set in management.

If you don't like it as a player, he would have no hesitation in moving you on, replacements would be brought in with the same ethos as himself.

Possibly at the moment he has a wee bit of catching up to do with Robbie, but he's young, vibrant and knows where he wants to go in his career, hopefully a club like Berwick can see the potential and recognise that he could be the person to roust up this under performing squad, and bring in a few of his players come January.