Jump to content

Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread


Recommended Posts

I don't know what's happening at board level etc, but one thing I can comment on is having watched the two playoff games,  if any manager thinks that that group of players are capable of playing senior level then he's ripping the p***. 

There are players in that team that wouldn't get a game for an average junior team 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The anger is turning quickly into sadness. How has this great club arrived at this stage??

This board started with 200k in the bank(Wow) and in three seasons have completely destroyed this club.  I asked one today, how has it come to this ? His reply, no thanks to you trying to get Harvey sacked. Fair to say I gave him it both barrels. He also bolted out the door with 25 mins to go (hopefully never to be seen again).

I honestly don’t know what the future holds but seeing 40+ Berwick fans singing sack the board and anti John Bell songs in the free trade suggests radical change is needed. 

Gutted, hurt and some of these b*****ds should be up on attempted murder charges. 

To all the great clubs in Div two, good luck for next season and beyond. 

 

Edited by Disc Potato
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry for what Berwick supporters are having to endure. We escaped twice but your fate could befall on two thirds of the clubs in spfl in the next couple of years.
I fear for your clubs very existence as there appears to be so much division and entrenched standpoints as to what is the best way forward for the club. A real danger of your club dying whilst the the posturing would be saviours of the club vie for the moral high ground not noticing or caring enough to notice the clubs about to draw its dying breath.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Disc Potato said:

The anger is turning quickly into sadness. How has this great club arrived at this stage??

This board started with 200k in the bank(Wow) and in three seasons have completely destroyed this club.  I asked one today, how has it come to this ? His reply, no thanks to you trying to get Harvey sacked. Fair to say I gave him it both barrels. He also bolted out the door with 25 mins to go (hopefully never to be seen again).

I honestly don’t know what the future holds but seeing 40+ Berwick fans singing sack the board and anti John Bell songs in the free trade suggests radical change is needed. 

Gutted, hurt and some of these b*****ds should be up on attempted murder charges. 

To all the great clubs in Div two, good luck for next season and beyond. 

 

Funny how JB gets grief and current chair Lenny and his puppet master Walla  get off Scot free. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, dougster said:

Funny how JB gets grief and current chair Lenny and his puppet master Walla  get off Scot free. 

Tbh I think its because JB backed Harvey while the others wanted him out months ago. Not that it matters anymore, they ALL need to go as they have failed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

I would think the squad you have wouldn't be too hot in the EOSL with See being the only decent player it must have been frustrating for the guy playing with a lot of dross beside him.

Quite amusing the crowd was 1314:lol:

The irony of the 1314 attendance caught my attention straight away too!  As a former regular Berwick fan, my attendance at Gers games have been severely curtailed by my involvement with being secretary at a Northern League club in North East England for a few seasons, but once the NL season finished I was able to attend the last four Berwick games to see for myself how bad we were now (0-3, 0-2, 0-4, 0-3). It was alarming to see just how out of their depth a lot of the current Berwick players were, despite their best efforts, certainly the weakest squad in my 30 odd years of following them. I'm in no position to apportion blame to anyone, being too far removed from the politics at Shielfield for the last 6 years & I appreciate the board/manager are easy targets when things don't go to plan, but I do seriously challenge to wisdom of having several of these very modest players signed up for next season if we have serious intentions of a swift return to the SPFL. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dougster said:

Funny how JB gets grief and current chair Lenny and his puppet master Walla  get off Scot free. 

They were singing Sack The Board which I think includes everyone. None should get off Scot free. 

Reality will sink in over the next few weeks and can’t see a way out of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funny how JB gets grief and current chair Lenny and his puppet master Walla  get off Scot free. 

You don't half talk some bollocks, as illustrated by your desperate need to continue repeatedly making this point. The reality is that Lenny and Walla will be a piece of piss to get rid of. For fucksake, the SC has just released a statement that shows as much.

 

It's clear on the other hand however that John believes he's the right man for the job still. He's still busy banging on about how he's got a sustainable plan and can't understand why fans are calling him out on plans so idealistic they verge on dangerous. He thinks the same majority of fans questioning it will be the same putting more money into the club next season. There's a clear disconnect that needs to be highlighted.

 

And in any case as above, singing sack the board doesn't mean sack John. If you want to know why more frustration is aimed at John, it's because he's by far the biggest blocker to change at the moment. It's mental you'll happily defend any individual, but then you wear very similarly tinted glasses to those you'll happily accuse everyone else of wearing when it comes the pair you mention.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

You don't half talk some bollocks, as illustrated by your desperate need to continue repeatedly making this point. The reality is that Lenny and Walla will be a piece of piss to get rid of. For fucksake, the SC has just released a statement that shows as much.

 

It's clear on the other hand however that John believes he's the right man for the job still. He's still busy banging on about how he's got a sustainable plan and can't understand why fans are calling him out on plans so idealistic they verge on dangerous. He thinks the same majority of fans questioning it will be the same putting more money into the club next season. There's a clear disconnect that needs to be highlighted.

 

And in any case as above, singing sack the board doesn't mean sack John. If you want to know why more frustration is aimed at John, it's because he's by far the biggest blocker to change at the moment. It's mental you'll happily defend any individual, but then you wear very similarly tinted glasses to those you'll happily accuse everyone else of wearing when it comes the pair you mention.

 

The problem with the super easy "sack the Board" and the slagging of John Bell  and his grand plan is that I don't see a queue of commercially savvy people looking to take over. 

We sacked the Board less than a year ago and look what happened to the club then. 

JB's plan. Is all we've got, and I'd argue thst if he'd taken over the helm 2 years ago, and given Robbie Horn a decent budget we wouldn't be slinging mud around now and would still be in Div 2.

JB is the Nick Clegg of Berwick Rangers. Made some piss poor mistakes (Harvey) but taking a disproportionate amount of the blame for years of shite governance by others. 

I say all this, of course, because he is my best mate and I love him dearly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All very well singing “sack the board” but who exactly is going to do that? Unless there is a very unlikely take-over or the major shareholders stage a coup, there’s little prospect of major change at the top. The suits in the board room enjoy putting on the gold n black tie, free wining and dining around the grounds and the important status it gives them. 

There are still some people at the club who believe that it’s the football authorities fault for awarding Albion extra points which gave them the chance to overtake Berwick in a 2 horse race to finish bottom. Whereas the reality is that every club has an entire season of 36 games to gain points from...Berwick lost 27 of those matches. Cove Rangers meanwhile lost just 1 league game all season. Directors and club officials may not like criticism from fans (who really does like being chastised?) but it’s understandable. They may not want to take the blame but fans obviously aren’t going to blame Kevin Keegan or the Arch Bishop of Canterbury are they? The buck stops with those in charge of affairs. There was clearly no coherent policy other than hope Albion would be worse.

One thing Berwick desperately need as a club is a change of direction and change full stop. Whilst it’s fair comment for the directors to point out how hard times are and the difficulty in attracting good sponsors etc with a view to generating better income streams, other similar sized clubs manage to do it. I very much doubt folks are falling over themselves with bucket loads of cash to hand over to any of the other SPFL 2 clubs either.

Fact is like Shire, Berwick need to accept there’s no point in continuing in a system where they are not competitive. Getting thrashed every week and failing to score in 9 successive games is no good to anybody apart from the opposition. Nobody can honestly say relegation is a good thing and every club wants to play at the highest level possible. You find your natural level though based on club size,  support, cash etc and have to make the best of what you’ve got. Clearly Berwick have not just stood still but gone backwards whilst ambitious clubs look to climb the league ladder.

I’ll be watching the team when I can home and away as usual next season. I’d still do the same whether Berwick were in the EoS, McBookie, Borders or even English Northern League. It is what it is...ultimately you have to play at a level you can be competitive in. Shire might not have enjoyed losing their SPFL status any more than Berwick but despite not pulling up any trees at least they are no longer getting tanked every week and have reached the cup final.

I’ve been to 11 out of the 16 Lowland grounds and there’s some good days out for those who go away. Queens at Hampden accepted nobody at Berwick is likely to miss tedious treks to Peterhead or Elgin twice each per campaign judging by the few independent fans who bother to go. Due to ground shares Berwick will still play at 5 of the same stadiums and there’s more variety as no more 4 games v each side as it’s back to a normal home and away only. Each to their own but I don’t accept that home games v the likes of Gretna or Spartans are any less attractive than playing Albion or Elgin. I can’t see Berwick getting back in the SPFL system in the foreseeable future but the most important thing is the club needs to adapt and compete. The question is will any positive change be forthcoming? Up The Borderers! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only way this club has a chance, is complete regime change, No Hush, Lenny, Walla, Bell, Beresford, McLaren and Exley, they ALL need to walk now, they will get enough abuse over the next ten to twenty years as the men who sunk this once great club.

New faces and ideas are required with level minded business people taking the helm with money to invest in what actually matters; THE TEAM, the current board took their eye off the ball in regard to results and team investment, hence where we are today.

Bell needs to forget about being chairman, he should never be allowed to chairman of the club, he needs to forget about reinstating JH, pack his sustainable model and pie in the sky stadium ideas along with his ego into the back of his van and F*ck Off. Great that he got dogs abuse when he tried to leave the ground on Saturday, keep it going it shows you care.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mon_The_Fife said:

Surprising that it was only 3. Good to see McManus amongst the scorers, I wonder if he will still be able to do a job in League 2 next season.

 

Me and my mate were wondering about McManus and if his subbie appearance would be a farewell cameo for Cove, must be getting on a bit.

It was only 3 as Cove never got out of 1st gear if they stepped up they would have got  more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...