Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

Yep, if it wasn't for Selkirk folding, an extra LL team would have been relegated.

And by ‘extra LL team’ you meant Selkirk, who were dug meat and would have finished bottom even if they could have staved off the creditors.

On train now. Just coming towards Arbroath and then Montrose. Thinking of the days out here in the past. And thinking how far behind those clubs we are now.
Frankly it’s shocking.
We need to stay in this league and I’m hoping and praying for something today.
Would never have thought when Diack netted that goal that this would happen.
COME ON BERWICK

Must be Fecken awful to find yourself in this position, heart goes out to any real supporter having to suffer this.
It’s a potential reality for any of us at this level so won’t get any gloating from me.

Must be Fecken awful to find yourself in this position, heart goes out to any real supporter having to suffer this.
It’s a potential reality for any of us at this level so won’t get any gloating from me.

Its fucking dreadful mate. Fucking horrible.
f**k
I’d like to say we will be back... we won’t

Exactly Freddy. From experience, I feel for Berwick right now. There will be more. As has been said, ourselves and Albion are probably most at risk over the next few years but without proper management it can be any team. I remember a SFA report from years ago that targeted. East Stirling, Albion and Cowden as teams to be replaced. It's happening. Saying that, teams that make continual financial losses can't be sustained as going concerns. So maybe the SFA should look at that.

10 minutes ago, marty_j said:

Its fucking dreadful mate. Fucking horrible.
f**k
I’d like to say we will be back... we won’t

Followed your trip today which you posted on p and b from my phone whilst watching my team. Brought back all the memories and feelings from our (Shire) games v Edinburgh City when went we out of the league to a last minute penalty 3 years ago.

No one here can tell you how bad you are feeling and how you and the club can come back from it. They don't understand and have no real words to help you at this moment.  The only thing is the club is still here and from that the hope is there that a turnaround can happen. It's at this point you find out who the real fans and friends of the club are. 

As a whitehill fan said to us when we came down , there is life outside the Scottish League.

Followed your trip today which you posted on p and b from my phone whilst watching my team. Brought back all the memories and feelings from our (Shire) games v Edinburgh City when went we out of the league to a last minute penalty 3 years ago.
No one here can tell you how bad you are feeling and how you and the club can come back from it. They don't understand and have no real words to help you at this moment.  The only thing is the club is still here and from that the hope is there that a turnaround can happen. It's at this point you find out who the real fans and friends of the club are. 
As a whitehill fan said to us when we came down , there is life outside the Scottish League.

Doesn’t feel like it at the minute. The club is still here but most feel it’s on it’s last legs.

What a mess

10 hours ago, surely not! said:

And by ‘extra LL team’ you meant Selkirk, who were dug meat and would have finished bottom even if they could have staved off the creditors.

Assuming Selkirk would have finished bottom and the rest would have stayed the same, Selkirk would have relegated automatically and Whitehill Welfare would have been relegated to make place for Berwick, providing a team get promoted from the EOS.

Assuming Selkirk would have finished bottom and the rest would have stayed the same, Selkirk would have relegated automatically and Whitehill Welfare would have been relegated to make place for Berwick, providing a team get promoted from the EOS.

Correct. So no change to the other 14 teams. The point I was making is that no other (current) LL team would have been affected- it would be Selkirk and welfare who drop out.

The thing to remember is that the relegation spot isn't going to go away. Shire have been the victims, Berwick looking likely, every team in League Two must consider the possibility that it might be them next. 

Equally, teams being promoted to League Two, need to build a team which will be able to stay up, or it will just mean sliding back down again. 

In the meantime, if the inevitable comes to pass, Berwick will need to look at things afresh and embrace the level they are at. Shire are desperate to get back up but we've enjoyed the experience, playing new teams, new away trips and none of this playing teams 4 times nonsense. As I said at the time, it's like playing in the first round of the Scottish Cup every week. 

35 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Indirectly that is likely to be the effective outcome, although it will really be Whitehill Welfare that are highly likely to avoid being relegated for that reason.

I thought Whitehill were staying put because Bonnyrigg Rose were refused promotion from the EoS League.

What now? Is the big question needing answered. 

It’s hard on us all but Dennis McCleary has given 49 years service to the club and will spend his 50th year as secretary of a Lowland League club. What that man doesn’t know isn’t worth knowing, thanks for everything you have done for Berwick Rangers Dennis. 

I also feel for some players, the captain Robert Wilson in particular has given it everything through difficult conditions. No doubt that bad injury he suffered and his long spell on the sidelines has impacted on his career.  

There are many changes required but the club most re-engage itself with supporters, the divide is growing and evident when players ran off down the tunnel at the end of the match and continued chants of sack the board by the away following. 

The worrying thing is relegation doesn’t mean this has bottomed out just yet, we remain in free fall and I think we all fear where it eventually ends. 

John Brownlie and Yano deserve credit for taking on the challenge, it wasn’t to be. 

Over to you directors of Berwick Rangers Plc.

From yesterday's paper, scanned in in two parts, but readable (I hope): "The reason we are in this position is that other clubs work harder".

Ignoring the fact that the top photo on the right isn't JB, there is some interesting stuff in here. It shows that we've drifted into failure. It's taken a combination of apathy and/or lethargy on the part of the Board who've just ignored what's been going on around them, heaving another sigh of relief (and self-congratulation?) in recent seasons when we've dodged the relegation play-offs, and poor team management (letting reasonable players go and replacing them with players who aren't as good).

BR Part 1.pdf

BR Part 2.pdf

Edited by Alpha Gordini

I genuinely fear for the long-term future of the club now. Weeks ago, with Harvey at the helm, he was attending matches in the north-east of England, speaking to players with a view to signing them next season, trying to lure them away with the fact they’ll be playing in a ‘professional league set-up’.  This was just a matter of weeks ago, giving an idea of where the club’s head was at, with a complete ignorance and arrogance to the fact that we could go out of the SPFL, which is now going to happen.

Presumably, this ‘plan’ will now all be in tatters, and I have little hope that there is any kind of contingency plan in place. If we thought it was difficult competing with just Edinburgh City for players, now the pool of clubs competing with us for players has increased ten-fold.

The game yesterday was utterly shambolic. Second best to absolutely everything and seriously, we could have had no complaints had it been 6 or 7. It’s clear the squad completely lacks quality but in yesterday’s game, there didn’t seem to be any fight or desire either. 

It’s difficult to dig at the management team, who have had next to no time to try and sort this pish out, but I’ll always remember that in one of the most important games in the club’s history, our starting CM pairing was Declan O’Kane and Craig Hume. If ever there was something to epitomise how far we’ve fallen, that’s it 

24 minutes ago, Alpha Gordini said:

From yesterday's paper, scanned in in two parts, but readable (I hope): "The reason we are in this position is that other clubs work harder".

Ignoring the fact that the top photo on the right isn't JB, there is some interesting stuff in here. It shows that we've drifted into failure. It's taken a combination of apathy and/or lethargy on the part of the Board who've just ignored what's been going on around them, heaving another sigh of relief (and self-congratulation?) in recent seasons when we've dodged the relagation play-offs, and poor team management.

BR Part 1.pdf

BR Part 2.pdf

Thanks for sharing.

John was asked at the open forum by a previous chairman about the need to have a commercial director on the board. He didn’t think there was a need for one and the duties should be shared.  This way has already seen deals for sponsorship collapse. We need a structure and a new leader at the top to take us forward. 

32 minutes ago, Disc Potato said:

What now? Is the big question needing answered. 

It’s hard on us all but Dennis McCleary has given 49 years service to the club and will spend his 50th year as secretary of a Lowland League club. What that man doesn’t know isn’t worth knowing, thanks for everything you have done for Berwick Rangers Dennis. 

It Dennis I feel for more than anyone in this situation. Known him for more years than I can remember. To me he is Mr Berwick Rangers.