Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

Given the Manager's supremely awful record, our current edge-of-the-cliff position and the clear evidence that performances are actually getting worse, I can't decide which is most amazing  - The manager's refusal to walk out of embarrassment, or The Board's stubborn refusal to give him a shove. 

Guest The Phoenix
1 hour ago, nickCFC58 said:

I honestly reckon yous need a new manager just for the typical two game boost. Might be the difference in the playoffs

Better wait for a couple of games before changing then! 

4 hours ago, BerwickMad said:

I’m not someone who’d consider themselves as trigger happy either, but I’d certainly take Coughlin even now. We’re getting absolutely nothing from the current manager and it seems like the players have downed tools. Even if it took a 5% chance to a 10% chance, I’d do it. If he succeeded, give him a bonus and build statue. If we still went down, I doubt anyone would be looking back saying ‘if only we’d kept Harvey’.

I still fear that Harvey is being looked at as the man for next season though. Frightening.

Aye it certainly looks like your players have stopped playing for him given the amount of goals your been shipping in recent games. If nothing else Coughlin is know for his stuffy defensive sides which could just do the job in a play off. 

At the end of the day it seems unlikely that Harvey would be unable to motivate the side through the play offs so there's probably nothing to lose. JC must have some sort of affection for BR the times he's went back so could just be the guy to get you out of the shit.

All this talk about managers has had me thinking about the worst managers ever, and I thought that surely Christian Gross' time at Spurs has to  be one of the worst. Turns out that JH's spell is in a whole new league...

Gross P30 W10 D8 L12 WIn rate 33.3%

Harvey P27 W4 D4 L19 Win rate 14.8%

6 hours ago, sammyreidloyal said:

Does anyone actually think that the board are listening to any of this? I sincerely doubt it. The statement made at the talk in summed it up, we are preparing for the lowland league. Now preparing is better than ignoring but that was like writing the clubs obituary.

It this is true, Whats the point ?

Crap manager

Players downed tools and not bothering

Board waving the white flag

Remind me again whats my incentive for going?? 

13 minutes ago, berwicksfinest said:

It this is true, Whats the point ?

Crap manager

Players downed tools and not bothering

Board waving the white flag

Remind me again whats my incentive for going?? 

I personally don't think it is true. John Bell put forward his strategy for income and expenditure for next year and had to be asked if that would be the same if we went into the Lowland League. The answer was yes, which has led to the criticism of potentially charging £12 to watch LL football at Shielfield. 

Cue someone steaming in to ask how I can possibly support the Board in these dire circumsta.......  etc etc. 

29 minutes ago, Redcar said:

I personally don't think it is true. John Bell put forward his strategy for income and expenditure for next year and had to be asked if that would be the same if we went into the Lowland League. The answer was yes, which has led to the criticism of potentially charging £12 to watch LL football at Shielfield. 

Cue someone steaming in to ask how I can possibly support the Board in these dire circumsta.......  etc etc. 

Thanks Redcar

Again unable to make the talk in, so usually pick up bits and pieces on here.

I would hope the Board are aware of the current situation, but not rolling over without a fight. even if they are backing JH

Not being funny here... but if Harvey was to walk or be sacked why would Coughlin automatically be the man to bring in? Being revered for winning the league - but overlooking his second failed spell - is not necessarily the criteria for pulling off a miracle in the last 2 league games, nor winning a playoff. I appreciate he took Stenhousemuir up through playoffs but that also a decade ago and under a different format and in a radically different scenario.

In terms of the players: only a few of them were around 2 years ago - Brennan, Orru, Cook? - plus they hardly featured. Since then his only job was an abortive spell at Selkirk so it's not as if he's going to have unrivalled knowledge of our own players, Albion and Elgin, EK/Cove. Unclear how his style would gel with players.

It would have to be based on more than just geeing-up the fans. Cough may not want to risk coupling being 'the man who took us up' with that of 'the man who took us down and out', anyway.

Edited by HibeeJibee

3 hours ago, Alpha Gordini said:

All this talk about managers has had me thinking about the worst managers ever, and I thought that surely Christian Gross' time at Spurs has to  be one of the worst. Turns out that JH's spell is in a whole new league...

Gross P30 W10 D8 L12 WIn rate 33.3%

Harvey P27 W4 D4 L19 Win rate 14.8%

Jim Fallon (Dumbarton) September 1995 - November 1996

Played: 50
Won: 2
Drew: 6
Lost: 42

Win rate: 4%

You can stop thinking 8)

6 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Not being funny here... but if Harvey was to walk or be sacked why would Coughlin be the man to bring in? Surely being revered for winning the league - but overlooking his second failed spell - is not necessarily the criteria for pulling off a miracle in the last 2 league games, nor winning a playoff. I appreciate he took Stenhousemuir up through playoffs but that also a decade ago and under a different format and in a radically different scenario.

In terms of the players: only a few of them were around 2 years ago - Brennan, Orru, Cook? - plus they hardly featured. Since then his only job was an abortive spell at Selkirk so it's not as if he's going to have unrivalled knowledge of our own players, Albion and Elgin, EK/Cove. Unclear how his style would gel with players.

It would have to be based on more than just geeing-up the fans. Cough may not want to risk coupling being 'the man who took us up' with that of 'the man who took us down and out', anyway.

• Puts focus on being hard to break down - it's hardly as though the current 'style' is working.
  • Knows the club
  • Never been relegated - even with Shire which you handily neglected to mention
  • Is a realistic shout
  • Would want the role
  • Can be a temporary option
  • Could be in pretty much immediately

There's plenty I disagree with in your post but even on a point that would usually be sensible, I don't even particularly agree. You say it needs to be a decision based on more than just geeing-up the fans, but change now would be the first indication of the club trying to protect our league status for f**k knows how long. As said earlier on here, doing nothing is still a decision. I think you'd find a more positive atmosphere to back players through 2 tough, critical games with change than without. More importantly, it'd bring with it some semblance of belief. If there's ever a time to make a decision on geeing up the fans, it's now. And the best of it is that it could be a temporary appointment. 

Whether Coughlin could work a miracle is still unlikely, but I reckon we'd have a better chance. As it stands, I'm fully expecting to be relegated by the end of the first leg. That we're even so accepting of the play-off being our fate when actually unconfirmed is symptomatic of just how hopeless the current leadership we're under is. 

I genuinely find it pretty difficult to see things from your viewpoint - anyone who thinks we can sail through as is and remain unscathed is surely on another planet. There is no sign of life and a list as long as a trip to Peterhead as why Harvey isn't the man at this moment. If your argument is no better than 'the players stay the same', you need to reanalyse.

We should have waved good bye to Harvey in February. But it is not his fault. Us fans have been victims of a boardroom shambles for 10 years and thanks to Bell it is now getting worse. He is like Brexit. He is trying to take us out of something that is better for us. So he can chase a fantasy. Harvey is just his big blue bus. 

The focus on change needs to be tightening up the defence before anything else, and also that Coughlin has a reputation as being good at that (mainly due to the number of 1-0 wins in 2006-07).

However when I checked his stats, the last time he came in at Berwick, mid-season, we lost the first 5 games after he took over conceding 14 goals in the process. So hardly the immediate impact of shoring up the defence that we need.

Pep will be unavailable as his league season finishes on 12th May and he has the FA Cup final the following week, so we should give Cough a go instead - it's absolutely no lose for him, keep us up and he's a hero, if we go down it's not his fault.