Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

41 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Said to someone a couple months back I thought maybe Berwick could be in trouble.  Rovers were showing some signs of getting themselves a little bit better organized while you seemed to be in freefall.  It still doesn't excuse our absolute shambles of an admin error which obviously gave Rovers an immediate further shot in the arm,  but I hope both our teams win their respective playoffs.

Us for obvious reasons, but in your case, Cove are one of maybe only two HL teams who actually want to come up, are run by a sugar daddy, get a nice little additional earner for use of their pitch for Aberdeen's reserves and youth teams, and will add absolutely nothing to what's already in the division.

The entire Lowland League are a bunch of glorified boys club chancers with a long history of public money subsidies who again will add absolutely nothing to the rest of the game.  The pyramid system in a country this size & population is absolutely laughable, instigated by an organization who used to say there were too many teams....but jumped the dyke as this was the price for allowing Raynjurz back in.   A team will inevitably end up tenth, that doesn't mean they're not at least trying to be better or have just had a particularly bad season.   They've probably spent years working hard to generate funds for players, and stadium upkeep - what's looking to replace you are playing in training pitches, couldn't give a shit about facilities, just exploiting the fast track to get access to even more handouts. 

f**k them.  Hope you stay up

Aye because it's all about keeping things as they are,deary dear sunshine,would think you supported a junior team wae that attitude.

EK and Cove coming your way soon darling don't fret.

4 minutes ago, Hugo said:

To be clear, the first manager told you directly? And then the second manager told you directly? That he has a bad attitude such that he treats it like a kick about with his mates? 

Yes but nether said he had a bad attitude just they had spoken to him about it. It could have been constructive criticism for all I know. 

2 minutes ago, Disc Potato said:

Yes but nether said he had a bad attitude just they had spoken to him about it. It could have been constructive criticism for all I know. 

It's not the impression your original post gave by a long way. You unfairly maligned the kid. You were clearly speculating. That doesn't do Berwick Rangers any favours in attracting good young talent on loan. Thank you for going some way to clarifying and  correcting the record. 

9 hours ago, Redcar said:

If Barr was booked, according to the gaffer he will be suspended next Saturday. 

It's worrying if your manager actually thinks this is the case and doesn't know the basics of the suspension rules in the league he's managing in.

1) Players who are banned for accumulating too many yellow cards will serve their suspension 14 days after they get the final yellow.

2) Players have to get 12 yellow cards to get a suspension at this point in the season.

As you walk down your local high street and you see signs like “shop local” and “use it or you’ll lose it” does that not smack a bit of what the real issue is behind the failings of berwick Rangers?
Can anyone tell me what sort of scouting network Berwick has? As it sure as hell looks like they don’t look anywhere local!
Im sure all supporters would rather see 17 local lads showing passion and fight, than what’s currently on offer.
For me there has been a major flaw in the model and structure at berwick Rangers for years.
With such a vast area like the borders and north Northumberland to pick up players from, then this has to of been where scouting was taking place and not what has happened for years bringing players in from Edinburgh and afar. I know for a fact that good players that would of gave there right hand to play for berwick over the years were never even looked at or thought about. 
Take a look at a local lad now called Jack Hamilton, why was he not snapped up a few years ago before Livingston came sniffing. Yes he played for half a season and ended up top scorer but why was he not at berwick for two or three seasons and then sold on for a good wee profit? 
Im going to answer my own question really and it’s all down to how local football is perceived by berwick and the managers they appoint. Simply they don’t have any knowledge of lads that play in the local and surrounding areas and are not willing to look.
Before anyone says “what about Brydon” yes I know he’s local and yes he’s a good player but there is also another 3 or 4 local lads that play that position that are as good or better in my opinion.
Berwick Rangers really need to start looking closer to home, set a structure up that sees youngsters going up through the levels required and eventually playing for the club they love. With all the clubs in the area ranging from youth to amateur to semi-pro it’s not to difficult to get something setup so these players don’t end up being overlooked and ultimately end up playing with there mates at the Stanks.
All that said I do wish Berwick all the best and really do hope the manage to stay in the league for next season 

I’m sure Neil Oliver in an interview for the job expressed a wish to set up a community based club and was told his 3 year plan couldn’t be done as the club couldn’t afford the time.

That was about 3 years ago.

3 minutes ago, Hugo said:

It's not the impression your original post gave by a long way. You unfairly maligned the kid. You were clearly speculating. That doesn't do Berwick Rangers any favours in attracting good young talent on loan. Thank you for going some way to clarifying and  correcting the record. 

I wasn’t having a go at the kid at all. Like I said I like him.

Best wishes for the future, I hope Cedwyn finds a club where he can prove his talent.

59 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Said to someone a couple months back I thought maybe Berwick could be in trouble.  Rovers were showing some signs of getting themselves a little bit better organized while you seemed to be in freefall.  It still doesn't excuse our absolute shambles of an admin error which obviously gave Rovers an immediate further shot in the arm,  but I hope both our teams win their respective playoffs.

Us for obvious reasons, but in your case, Cove are one of maybe only two HL teams who actually want to come up, are run by a sugar daddy, get a nice little additional earner for use of their pitch for Aberdeen's reserves and youth teams, and will add absolutely nothing to what's already in the division.

The entire Lowland League are a bunch of glorified boys club chancers with a long history of public money subsidies who again will add absolutely nothing to the rest of the game.  The pyramid system in a country this size & population is absolutely laughable, instigated by an organization who used to say there were too many teams....but jumped the dyke as this was the price for allowing Raynjurz back in.   A team will inevitably end up tenth, that doesn't mean they're not at least trying to be better or have just had a particularly bad season.   They've probably spent years working hard to generate funds for players, and stadium upkeep - what's looking to replace you are playing in training pitches, couldn't give a shit about facilities, just exploiting the fast track to get access to even more handouts. 

f**k them.  Hope you stay up

This post is a pile of shite from start to finish. Cove Rangers, as much as they seem like a detestable club, have a long history and a decent enough support, and as far as I'm aware they don't have any sort of sugar daddy. I'm not sure why they would "add" any less to the division than any of the other teams involved, or indeed what that even means.

Many of the clubs in the Lowland League are also long established clubs who have been members of the SFA for decades. There are a few newer clubs like East Kilbride, but every club in Scotland was a new club at some point in their history. East Kilbride serve a big town and have the potential to be one of the bigger part-time clubs in the country given time. The only questionable club in their are Edusport, who are the product of some weirdo's ego trip, but they will probably disappear within the next decade. The quality of the league is only going to improve as the best Junior teams slowly filter in - at least one of Bonnyrigg/Bo'ness/Penicuik will arrive this year, and others will follow in the coming seasons.

The SFA at no point said there were "too many teams", you've just made that up. And the pyramid had absolutely nothing to do with the Rangers stuff in 2012 - it was introduced a year later at the same time as the SPFL merger. If the SFA/SPL were looking to "bribe" the SFL to let Rangers in, then they would have been more likely to kibosh the pyramid than promote it, given that the SFL clubs are the ones who had the most to lose from it.

In football if you finish bottom of the league then you deserve to get relegated. What if the SPFL made the same argument you have about League 1 and didn't let Clyde up? Just because Stenhousemuir/Brechin finished bottom doesn't mean they weren't trying their best - let's just keep them in League 1 again.

1 minute ago, tescodave said:

I’m sure Neil Oliver in an interview for the job expressed a wish to set up a community based club and was told his 3 year plan couldn’t be done as the club couldn’t afford the time.

In reality it doesn’t even need to be a new club set up. There is more than enough clubs going about that they could set up ties with. As an example why not approach a junior club that have under 14s , 15s and 16s then approach an amateur club then an EOS club and ask them if they were interested in working together to help produce players for the berwick first team. Natural progression is when they are ready have them in the reserves so the 1st team manager can have a look at them. If they then get a 1st team contract then all clubs that developed them get a development fee / donation from Berwick that is agreed beforehand . This will also attract players to these clubs in the hope that they eventually got to play for berwick. Surely that’s a more economical way of doing things than setting up a new club and any money spent is solely going on the progression of the 1st team and the clubs that are linked to bring more through. Overtime the club would hopefully have a high percentage if not all players being local therefore little to no travel expenses for players, no transfer fees as such and they actually could train local and give the community there club back. 

Maybe im being daft but it really is as simple as that.

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This post is a pile of shite from start to finish. Cove Rangers, as much as they seem like a detestable club, have a long history and a decent enough support, and as far as I'm aware they don't have any sort of sugar daddy. I'm not sure why they would "add" any less to the division than any of the other teams involved, or indeed what that even means.

Many of the clubs in the Lowland League are also long established clubs who have been members of the SFA for decades. There are a few newer clubs like East Kilbride, but every club in Scotland was a new club at some point in their history. East Kilbride serve a big town and have the potential to be one of the bigger part-time clubs in the country given time. The only questionable club in their are Edusport, who are the product of some weirdo's ego trip, but they will probably disappear within the next decade. The quality of the league is only going to improve as the best Junior teams slowly filter in - at least one of Bonnyrigg/Bo'ness/Penicuik will arrive this year, and others will follow in the coming seasons.

The SFA at no point said there were "too many teams", you've just made that up. And the pyramid had absolutely nothing to do with the Rangers stuff in 2012 - it was introduced a year later at the same time as the SPFL merger. If the SFA/SPL were looking to "bribe" the SFL to let Rangers in, then they would have been more likely to kibosh the pyramid than promote it, given that the SFL clubs are the ones who had the most to lose from it.

In football if you finish bottom of the league then you deserve to get relegated. What if the SPFL made the same argument you have about League 1 and didn't let Clyde up? Just because Stenhousemuir/Brechin finished bottom doesn't mean they weren't trying their best - let's just keep them in League 1 again.

This seems a fair summery of the present set up, the introduction of the pyramid gives a chance of clubs to progress into the league structure on merit, would folk prefer to see Colt teams from the chosen few take those places simply to give some full time players something to do on a Saturday.

It blatantly obvious JH ain't going anywhere

The board are noticeable by their absence

I think I've more chance of sh*tting in the queens handbag than getting any points let alone 2 wins

EK and Cove look a better proposition for league status.

Apart from us lowly supporters does anyone at Shielfield give a toss ??

45 minutes ago, tescodave said:

He did and to be honest its beyond the present board at shielfield to see its the only way forward.

"If you always do what you have always done you will always get what youve always got"

28 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Think i remember this happening with the SPL back in 2003?  Falkirk missed out on promotion that year I believe, one rule for all eh? 

11 minutes ago, dougster said:

Think i remember this happening with the SPL back in 2003?  Falkirk missed out on promotion that year I believe, one rule for all eh? 

That was because Falkirk's stadium wasn't up to scratch (by the rules of the time), not because they arbitrarily decided that relegation shouldn't be a thing.

31 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

That was because Falkirk's stadium wasn't up to scratch (by the rules of the time), not because they arbitrarily decided that relegation shouldn't be a thing.

That was the excuse yes 

Again, you'd have a point if that was a regular occurrence, but in fact Falkirk were the only team who ever missed out on promotion for that reason. So whether or not you agree with the rule (and most didn't which is why it was changed), it is clear that is exactly why they missed out.

Just watched the highlights of Berwick’s latest massacre. They look doomed and by all accounts lack the fight and passion to get out of the mess.

When Brown and Barr were at us, they always had a bit of fight, Barr especially. Traits that look like they are missing now.

I wouldn’t want to be a Berwick fan right now.

12 minutes ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

Just watched the highlights of Berwick’s latest massacre. They look doomed and by all accounts lack the fight and passion to get out of the mess.

When Brown and Barr were at us, they always had a bit of fight, Barr especially. Traits that look like they are missing now.

I wouldn’t want to be a Berwick fan right now.

Brown didn’t even get on the park last Saturday and is one of the better players, JH is clueless and needs to go.

I’ve seen relations of three players calling the manager since Saturday, suggests players have little confidence in him. Now departed youth coaches liking posts calling for the manager to go. 

What more evidence is required to make the change? 

It hasn’t worked for JH at Berwick, that’s football, he probably knows he made too many changes to the squad but there has to come a point when people with power admit to this and call it a day.