Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

Does any Berwick fan believe they can stay up if they finish bottom? East Kilbride look a good team and Cove seem like they have good owners with finance backing the club it would be a shame if Berwick were to lose there league status but going on last two with Cowdenbeath no one gave them a chance and they done it so maybe the players would raise there game.

No we are fucked

2 minutes ago, gogsy said:

What about if they went into liquidation before end of season, form another club known as The Berwick Rangers and apply for the position the old Berwick Rangers had in SPFL 2? Sure this has been done before.

We'd have to change the locks and not give JH a key :whistle

24 minutes ago, The Rangers Guy said:

Does any Berwick fan believe they can stay up if they finish bottom? East Kilbride look a good team and Cove seem like they have good owners with finance backing the club it would be a shame if Berwick were to lose there league status but going on last two with Cowdenbeath no one gave them a chance and they done it so maybe the players would raise there game.

Not true - lots of Cowden fans gave Cowden a chance in both years

3 hours ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Our demise has not occurred overnight and nor can it be halted as immediately Whether it could be limited is a completely different matter. I've spoken at length on here about that in recent weeks, and I think what we've seen is an absolute failure - not just to do so, but to even attempt to. Often those who know what's going on in the club speak on here in an almost 'code', where we act like we don't know what's happening, but really we do. 

@A Believer im sure I said something similar during the week and you asked me to define it? Not asking the same question of BTU? Similar to when I said about not going back to Shielfield you couldn’t shoot me down quick enough yet when disc potato said the same thing you where nowhere to be seen? 

Apparently John Bell was frothing at the mouth at a post where I called his crew out as fucking useless c***s for not bulletining the fake that is Harvey. Is it me you’re looking for John?

Let’s be frank here, if we stood and discussed my post that you’re unhappy with you really wouldn’t have any comeback would you?

Fast asleep at the wheel indeed.

RIP Berwick Rangers.

Do the Club not get the running joke that is Harvey talking bollox after every game...the plug should have been pulled on his ego months ago. Grief Eric was yanked long ago but we persist in making more of a fool of ourselves with the ego that is JH and his useless patter. Clueless upstairs and in the dugout. As others have groaned he has no ability to put a stout defensive unit together when it's needed. A turgid 0-0 or a fight for your lives 1-1 when it matters. It's a pasting from everyone. No unlucky 1-2 or a last gasp defeat. There is not 90 minutes in any of them. A decent half here or there,truly shocking. There is, simply put, no football direction at the club.

2 hopes left;

No hope & Bob

Just glad Cowden aren't involved this year! Fear for Berwick, as they're conceding goals for fun. This will be East Kilbride and Cove Rangers best chance to gain promotion, since they wont be facing the great escape artists that are Cowdenbeath FC:thumsup2

Apparently John Bell was frothing at the mouth at a post where I called his crew out as fucking useless c***s for not bulletining the fake that is Harvey. Is it me you’re looking for John?

Let’s be frank here, if we stood and discussed my post that you’re unhappy with you really wouldn’t have any comeback would you?

Fast asleep at the wheel indeed.

RIP Berwick Rangers.

Apparently I was picked out as wishing for magic beans or something as equally patronising for wanting investment in the club.

I wouldn’t mind, but I think I started saying it on here a couple of years ago after that shite season and have mentioned it directly to him in front of others twice in the last few months. I don’t think I ever gave the impression, here or face to face that it was easy to attract, but always that the club should be putting themselves in the best position possible to make them open for investment. I’d even talked about the sale of shares being an option to make it more attractive to someone. It’s not ‘magic beans’ when potential investors have been put off in the past.

I think the answer at the forum was something like only looking for investment in facilities, a signal to me that he sees the ownership and him as chairman as settled and long term. The strategy (asking the fans what they want as a start) seems to be out of the window. Investment in the team would have, or could help things to snowball. Get people interested again. It’s amazing we have any fans left, never mind as many as 400-500 through the gates. More that some far more successful clubs than us.

Anyway, ignoring all of that and I think I’ve said my piece enough about the reasons for the decline and the utter shambles of the directors who played a huge part in this with their failed coup last year. If you were to write a book on the decline of Berwick Rangers, you could probably dedicate a chapter or ten to this Harvey debacle.

I have a little sympathy in the appointment as it was a poor time to be looking for a manager, though some experience might have been better. However surely the warning signs were there. From ditching our better players to ruining our reputation as a reliable club to send loan players to. He could have gone any time post Queens Park 7-1. At crucial points the opportunity was missed, probably complacently looking to next season rather than this.

We now look done, with a manager so far out of his depth it’s unbelievable, who doesn’t seem to have any contacts in the senior game and who has burnt his bridges with Premier League clubs he should have been keeping sweet for loan players. The interviews after Annan and Queens Park were embarrassing and brought him to national attention as a bit of a clown. And we have a board who themselves have little football knowledge and contacts going on like nothing is happening, unless the new chairman has been the focus of an internet post of course and paranoia and bizarre spin ensues.

I know being involved in a football club at this level is an unenviable task, and the easiest thing in the world is to point at faults and blame people. I have some sympathy. But if what we’re getting is pointing the finger back at fans and accusing people of troublemaking, as Dale says, over a failure to learn the lessons then I don’t know where we go.

Also noted is no result posted to the facebook page, clearly to prevent Harvey’s family having disagreement with us, some quotes where we don’t have a clue about football and under Harvey we will reach the SPL. 

3 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

I take it the Berwick media and Harvey agreed pre-interview not to talk about yesterday's game. Don't want to rub it in but that is shocking contempt for the Berwick fans.

It's mercy more than contempt, and everything that can be said in the post-match interviews has been said.

'Not good enough'

'Individual errors'

'Referee didn't do us any favours'

'Faith we can turn it around'

'The lads looked good in training'

'It's not my squad'

Thankfully, it seems like someone did tell JH off for slagging off the fans. I really don't envy the board, and respect them immensely for their work, but a couple of things went terribly wrong and we're all in this tailspin together now.

There is so so much to write about. It’s too painful to transfer my thoughts into writing.

i touched on it two weeks ago but a director doing post match interviews doesn’t work. George says this week, Johnny we now have to look forward to next week.  That’s the last thing we want to hear.

I spoke to a director after the 7-1 humping at Hampden, quote “Managers have been sacked for less” I spoke to two directors a few weeks ago that agreed a change was required but nothing has happened. Who is pulling the strings and making decisions at board level? This is costing us now but can’t imagine to think about the future, one thing is a certain that future won’t last long. 

One final suggestion. Why don’t the board  hire someone to go and find a shortlist of two or three candidates who would take on the role for the playoffs. The board would be entrusted to interview and appoint but clearly they don’t have the contacts to get to that stage. 

14 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

I take it the Berwick media and Harvey agreed pre-interview not to talk about yesterday's game. Don't want to rub it in but that is shocking contempt for the Berwick fans.

It's only since JH came in that we started getting interviews at away games.

The obvious question that he needs to be asked is "What on earth did you say to the players at half time to make the team spectacularly implode in the second half yet AGAIN?"

Eric Tait sometimes got slated when he asked "difficult" questions when he did the interviews, but he was only asking what the ordinary paying fans wanted to know. Now it just seems that the interviewer is setting up JH to allow him to spout whatever this week's sales pitch BS is.

Edited by Alpha Gordini

I fear for Berwick.  If they finish bottom, as seems very likely, then comparisons with the Cowdenbeath teams of the last 2 seasons, when they finished bottom will not make easy reading for Berwick fans.  I was at both of Cowdens home games in the play offs and yes, they came through them but they could so easily have lost both.  Against EK, it went to the lottery that is penalties; v Cove, it looked like the HL side had it won at ht as they had been so far ahead in the first half.  In the second half, you got the impression that Cove thought that too as there was a complacency/arrogance about them and this combined with Cowden rolling up their sleeves was enough to see the Blue Brazil safe.  Its hard to imagine Berwick rolling up their sleeves, not surprising given the managers post match comments on here.  His berating of the players at various points will combined with his total lack of acceptance of his own responsibilites in this, looks like it has already cost him the dressing room.  Once that happens, a manager never gets it back. His man management skills seem very poor for this level. I know people in both junior and EOSL circles and his repuation was of someone who had an ego far greater than his ability which seems to be exactly the case.  

By this point in both of the last two seasons, Cowden had made appropriate managerial changes that gave the club some impetus and they had some players who could win them games.  Harvey has recruited players not up to the required standard which suggests he did not understand the actual level of game he was stepping up to.  Its probably fair to say both Cove and EK have stronger teams than Berwick. 

I hope whoever does end up bottom of the league survives as Berwick and Rovers both have great tradition and incredibly loyal sets of supporters.  Cove and EK have neither.

Edited by PRS
spelling

7 minutes ago, Alpha Gordini said:

It's only since JH came in that we started getting interviews at away games.

The obvious question that he needs to be asked is "What on earth did you say to the players at half time to make the team spectacularly implode in the second half yet AGAIN?"

Eric Tait sometimes got slated when he asked "difficult" questions when he did the interviews, but he was only asking what the ordinary paying fans wanted to know. Now it just seems that the interviewer is setting up JH to allow him to spout whatever this week's sales pitch BS is.

3 minutes ago, PRS said:

I fear for Berwick.  If they finish bottom, as seems very likely, then comparisons with the Cowdenbeath teams of the last 2 seasons, when they finished bottom will not make easy reading for Berwick fans.  I was at both of Cowdens home games in the play offs and yes, they came through them but they could so easily have lost both.  Against EK, it went to the lottery that is penalties; v Cove, it looked like the HL side had it won at ht as they had been so far ahead in the first half.  In the second half, you got the impression that Cove thought that too as there was a complacency/arrogance about them and this combined with Cowden rolling up their sleaves was enough to see the Blue Brazil safe.  Its hard to imagine Berwick rolling up their sleaves, not surprising given the managers post match comments on here.  His berating of the players at various points will combined with his total lack of acceptance of his own responsibilites in this, looks like it has already cost him the dressing room.  Once that happens, a manager never gets it back. His man magement skills seem very poor for this level. I know people in both junior and EOSL circles and his repuation was of someone who had an ego far greater than his ability which seems to be exactly the case.  

By this point in both of the last two seasons, Cowden had made appropriate managerial changes that gave the club some impetus and they had some players who could win them games.  Harvey has recruited players not up to the required standard which suggests he did not understand the actual level of game he was stepping up to.  Its probably fair to say both Cove and EK have stronger teams than Berwick. 

I hope whoever does end up bottom of the league survives as Berwick and Rovers both have great tradition and incredibly loyal sets of supporters.  Cove and EK have neither.

Good post echoes my own observations pretty month 100%. The first play off final was all the more remarkable that we won on penalties converting every one where as up till that point we were on a dismal run missing I think something like 8 spot kicks in succession. The appointment of Gary Locke turned things around perversely with us thrashing Berwick at Berwick in his first game.