Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

THE NOTORIOUS TWEEDMOUTH ELEVEN
REMEMBER; HUSH, EYRE, BELL, PARKIN, BERESFORD, EXLEY, McLAREN, TAIT, HAMILTON, HOOD & WATKIN - COLLECTIVELY GOT BERWICK RANGERS RELEGATED! Nobody else but them!
Nearly one week on from loosing our league status, the sound from the boardroom is deafening!!!
I'm sure these lot think we are all as thick as the yellow pages, their tactics are clearly to leave it a week or so, until the dust settles, then a couple of directors (Walla and Lennie) will walk the plank, leaving the remaining clowns to try and run what's left. This means Bell as chairman (T*ssa) Heston representing the supporters club (nae idea) then a group of sheep directors (baa!!!) who don't have a pot to piss in, Yano in as manager, Brownlie as Director of football.
No way this will get us back, but the reality is that the current board know they cannot compete with others in the LL and if you think top six is realistic next season, then you've been buying something other than blinds from the shop at Highfields.
I wonder if they gave each other "I GOT BERWICK RELEGATED!" badges, last Saturday, to wear in the pubs about town whilst chuckling the night away.
In all honesty, they couldn't give a shite, no moral compass from any of them, some will fade into the background, others will carry on with their ego trips and will eventually give Bell carte blanch, who knows we might even have a new stadium in time for the EOSL in 2021, these directors; the notorious tweedmouth eleven, didn't even try to retain the clubs league status, they club dropped out the league with a wimper
Disappointing and Disgraceful!

Such agitation and spreading of information which, if true, is restricted; being private and privileged board information. Having only joined P&B a few weeks, you would appear to have an agenda; on behalf of the person allegedly feeding you privileged info? Or are you making up the Yano stuff?

Mr A Believer, yes I have an agenda and I will keep making my opinion, so get used to it, I'm going nowhere!

How do you know this information is restricted, we are not talking the official secrets act here, privileged, yes you might think it has been a privilege to watch the demise of the football club, private, the ones in charge couldn't keep things confidential if they tried, for what it worth, I believe you are a board director and your upset that your management and boardroom plans have been outed before you losers have been able to make the announcements, is that correct or what.

My information is not fed by anyone, correct me if I'm wrong but Yano will be Manager and Brownlie will be Technical Director, I bet I have this right!!!!! 

If you want any more information, straight from the horses mouth, let me know, it'll save you speaking to your fellow board members.

3 hours ago, A Believer said:

Morning Mr Lodger. So what is your agenda as regards the board? Who in, who out?

Had a lie in today, too much bevy last night.

No Agenda here, but I'll tell it as it is.

Walla's oot, he's had enough, sick of getting verbally abused in the pubs, he wants rid, Lennie will go as well, these two are like Hinge and Bracket, you don't get one without the other.

Bell still wants the top job, even though he's as popular as a fart in a spacesuit, Heston is keen to take on the SC mantel, there's a bit of an ego trip here, offers from the Rowan consortium have evaporated, they don't want Bell anywhere near the club, certainly not as chairman,  plus there is another group, who are made up of a few  local individuals who want full control, but they are rapidly, losing interest.

My man in the know, says, that the board are embarrassed, but aware that the club is now worth naff all. The unforgivable mistake they made in letting the club get relegated is proving more costly than they could have realised or imagined, and they are now acutely aware that they simply cannot compete with the front runners in the LL. The boards fall-back strategy was that they would pop down a level for a season and then get straight back up, which they know now, this is unlikely to happen, so, its many seasons of mediocrity to come, that is if the club can stay financially viable or the club will eventually go bust. The board are aware that, what little money they have, plus the parachute payments will soon evaporate, they expect that interest in the club will diminish and income from gate receipts and advertising will fall up to 60%, this hardly gives the club a firm footing for the future or provides confidence for any investor(s).

My opinion, for what its worth is; the club can only be saved by an investor or investor group who will take full control, invest first and foremost in the team, which could cost up to £200k, if they are ambitious. The other alternative with Bell and the gang is just more of the same, living on the hope of a lucrative cup draw. The strategy of getting people and businesses to donate a little or a lot is not going to work, you cannot run a business on handouts.

The reality is, no-one will come forward to invest serious money, you might get a couple of £5k or £10k but that is well short of the mark, Bell and his cronies will inevitably take this forward, driving the bus with blindfolds on, interest in BRFC has already diminished, note the lack of postings on here and FB, sadly, there is no way back without serious investment, as I have stated before, the directors are all culpable, so leave them to their plaything and let the club sink until its a distant memory, at least if it completely folds in a year or so's time, the current directors will have someone else to blame.

I know it paints a sorry picture, but like it or not, it is the likely scenario. If anyone can be more positive, I'd like to hear it, as your not likely to get any communication from the boardroom as they have never engaged with their fanbase all season apart from the SC prepared statement when relegation was confirmed.

Walla's oot, he's had enough, sick of getting verbally abused in the pubs, he wants rid, Lennie will go as well, these two are like Hinge and Bracket, you don't get one without the other.

Bell still wants the top job, even though he's as popular as a fart in a spacesuit, Heston is keen to take on the SC mantel, there's a bit of an ego trip here, offers from the Rowan consortium have evaporated, they don't want Bell anywhere near the club, certainly not as chairman,  plus there is another group, who are made up of a few  local individuals who want full control, but they are rapidly, losing interest.

My man in the know, says, that the board are embarrassed, but aware that the club is now worth naff all. The unforgivable mistake they made in letting the club get relegated is proving more costly than they could have realised or imagined, and they are now acutely aware that they simply cannot compete with the front runners in the LL. The boards fall-back strategy was that they would pop down a level for a season and then get straight back up, which they know now, this is unlikely to happen, so, its many seasons of mediocrity to come, that is if the club can stay financially viable or the club will eventually go bust. The board are aware that, what little money they have, plus the parachute payments will soon evaporate, they expect that interest in the club will diminish and income from gate receipts and advertising will fall up to 60%, this hardly gives the club a firm footing for the future or provides confidence for any investor(s).

My opinion, for what its worth is; the club can only be saved by an investor or investor group who will take full control, invest first and foremost in the team, which could cost up to £200k, if they are ambitious. The other alternative with Bell and the gang is just more of the same, living on the hope of a lucrative cup draw. The strategy of getting people and businesses to donate a little or a lot is not going to work, you cannot run a business on handouts.

The reality is, no-one will come forward to invest serious money, you might get a couple of £5k or £10k but that is well short of the mark, Bell and his cronies will inevitably take this forward, driving the bus with blindfolds on, interest in BRFC has already diminished, note the lack of postings on here and FB, sadly, there is no way back without serious investment, as I have stated before, the directors are all culpable, so leave them to their plaything and let the club sink until its a distant memory, at least if it completely folds in a year or so's time, the current directors will have someone else to blame.

I know it paints a sorry picture, but like it or not, it is the likely scenario. If anyone can be more positive, I'd like to hear it, as your not likely to get any communication from the boardroom as they have never engaged with their fanbase all season apart from the SC prepared statement when relegation was confirmed.

Well the hangover hasn't stopped you from posting a good summary of reality, fair play.

I think it's fair to say few would have foreseen our rapid decline coinciding with the level of investment flowing into our new opposition in LL. I fear your forecast of an extended stay in LL may be likely; but one never can tell.

It's a hard and thankless gig being a volunteer in any capacity, let alone a Director of a football club, I only hope new Directors are found with the capacity and professional capability to develop the strategy to stabilise and grow the club.

I happen to feel; and I respect your opinion, although I dont share it, that John Bell is the man to lead that, when he has the mandate as Chairman. It will depend on a new, strong and unified board, with the SC and ST behind, and all pulling in the same direction. I'm optimistic that model will crystalise this week and communications will flow from there.

If not, then again you're right, we need a super daddy (or mummy) with upwards of around £200k to invest; but that will need the demonstrable profit making model we haven't had for many years, or I doubt that'll happen either.

Great update Jimmy.

Mr Believer,

I think we all now realise, the horse has bolted and a large dose of reality has set in, if John Bell has the mandate as chairman from his fellow directors, then there is little can be done to stop him, as you will realise from my previous postings, I am no fan of JB, but as you say, it's a thankless gig being a volunteer or a director, so fair play to all that try. if whoever is in charge, can turn things around, then hats off to them.

The sustainable model of a football club, is not going around with the begging bowl, its forming a good progressive team on the park, results put bums on seats and sponsorship follows, for Berwick, getting back into the league system is a must, but keeping us there requires ongoing investment, it's easy to say about mismanagement over previous years, but the current bunch of clowns were able to do what no others had done before them and got us relegated into the LL.

I personally don't think there is any way back, without inward investment to the tune of, up to £200k and that is unlikely to happen, if JB and his merry men keep things going, then good on them, but there will come a time when they simply cannot balance the books.

Give it 12 months and see where we are, I fear we will be a mid to lower table LL club, with little prospects, the more years we are away, then the more difficult it will become to bridge the gap.

Our biggest problem is without doubt geographical, talk about getting players in from the North East is admirable but they will not want to come and play in a league which is on par with the Northern League etc, neither do players from the central belt want to come to Berwick, they prefer something on their doorstep, we are then left with what's left, which is what we have had for a few years now, undoubtedly, players would come if they knew they were going to be part of a project, leading to promotion and success, something they could buy into, sadly, we do not have the wherewithal to do this at this current time. Maladministration is what's happened here, no doubt whatsoever.

DL

Biggest problem is geographical...... need major investment from new sources.....  biggest hope without that is a good cup run.... 

All of these things have been said by John Bell, the man you continually slag off. You actually agree with each other. The only difference being that he has a plan for going forwards (whether you like it or not) and you exclusively just look backwards. 

Shite for years bacause player recruitment has been a slowly developing problem, and a nose dive this season caused in great part by a failed coup when John Bell was in Africa. 

JB's biggest mistake was being in the Boardroom faction that supported Harvey long after he should have been shown the door, and that calls his footballing judgement into doubt, big style. 

If there was a genuine offer from someone, or a group of someone's to take over, we would soon know about it (wouldn't just be some feeble gossip on P&B) and given that it wasn't from some demonstrable chancers, I'd support it.. Without that, JB is all we have.

He needs either a genuine challenge or our support. 

33 minutes ago, Redcar said:

All of these things have been said by John Bell, the man you continually slag off. You actually agree with each other. The only difference being that he has a plan for going forwards (whether you like it or not) and you exclusively just look backwards.  

I cannot understand for the life of me why anyone supports JB. I know i’m criticised for talking about myself but I can only relate to my experiences.

JB will do what JB wants and not listen to anyone else, regardless of whether or not they know better. I practically begged him to reconsider £12 admission prices before he made it public, he ignored me and then it got widely slated. Shock.

I know my suggestion to investigate was ignored as i’ve since been asked to supply any information I had collected on LL prices. The arrogance to do f**k all research before making a decision like that is mind-blowing and emphasises how little thought goes into anything else he does.

You’ve said yourself Stuart you’d only pay it for a season, and i’ve seen many other loyal fans say they’d not even pay it for one. If this is any indication of the rest of his plan, we are well and truly fucked.

Redcar, Bluecar or Whitecar makes no difference to me, yes I have slagged Bell off big style, he was a key player in putting the club in its current predicament, I agree wholeheartedly with Yellow Feet, problem is the man doesn't see it himself, he is the problem, he's been on the board for long enough to make a difference, but he's done nothing but produce pie in the sky plans, he's quick enough to get his dish on the telly, then shows his mental acumen by responding in his own name on here. I'd like to know how he thinks his change in status from Director to Chairman will fundamentally change the fortunes of BRFC, many I have spoken with cannot be arsed with him and are more likely to withdraw their support.

Really, is that who your faint hope of salvation relies on? 

Before your Redcar fades to pink, my point was; without inward investment to the tune of £200k the club hasn't a hope, that's not  exclusively looking backwards, it's reality, I have said the likely outcome will be Bell and his merry men will keep trying to run the club until it is no longer financially viable, that is also reality, what is hard to understand is why a minority still support Bell, he's done nothing to suggest he is the man for the job, he may look and think he has done half the job by getting the club relegated, next stop oblivion, then job done, what a PLONKER!

I've been trying to stay out of this a bit more because the debate does little other than winding me up - there are too many aliases, too many 'extremes', too many throwing in grenades from afar with little understanding or made on nothing but dated assumptions, happy to sit back and watch them blow up. It's all very Brexit. 

It seems plenty have made their mind up, but a point I'll continue to reiterate is that John simply has not presented a'viable plan' - as is being suggested.  

If the company I worked for were in the shit and our CEO came out and said it's okay because our customers were going to buy more from us, I'd want to know how that was going to happen. What he has presented is an aim, not a plan. He has done absolutely nothing to address some very valid criticisms, from fans, people who have know how in areas such as marketing, and even a former chairman.

The closest to a 'how' we've heard is that we have "300-400 commercial directors" - this is idealistic nonsense. John presented at the Supporter's Trust AGM around December time, making n almost identical plea to those attending to help them sell corporate sponsorships. As per their website, they currently have a grand total of three corporate sponsors 6 months on. This is not an unwarranted criticism, but evidence that it won't work. Simply hoping, relying on goodwill and favours, isn't enough. Our own fans have never been more disillusioned with the club - let alone the town and its businesses. There needs to be a reason for them to engage and we aren't supplying that. "It's only a hundred quid" isn't anywhere near a good enough reason. 

More than this, there's a disconnect in John's last post on here. He's clearly a divisive figure, and he finds it difficult to understand why people aren't buying into his idea. It's clearer and clearer that he has his own vision and it's almost impossible to influence it to any degree. There's no doubting some of John's plans will be decent, but the inability to listen to others and work as a collective for the good of BRFC generates the frustration that leads to such criticism. Despite acknowledging there's a large audience who are critical of his plans, he expects that he'll still be able to convince more of these people to put more money into the club next season - and sees this as viable. I've seen a lot more fans talk about how they'll be reducing their (financial) support of the club in the next season than increase. 

People are also making the assumption that John will be working towards GM's plan. John stood in front of a room full of Berwick fans and made not one reference to it. John is working to John's plan, the same one he's had for over a decade, and if we proceed on that path my opinion is we're in even more danger. Reading between the lines of posts on FB by the likes of Gary O'Connor, it's pretty blatant John isn't working to the Mathieson plan that seemed well-received across the club.

Time will be the ultimate judge but I wouldn't want to be on the side happy to stick with what we've seen already.  I think from here I'll use the FB group wherever possible, which is a great idea.

41 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

I've been trying to stay out of this a bit more because the debate does little other than winding me up - there are too many aliases, too many 'extremes', too many throwing in grenades from afar with little understanding or made on nothing but dated assumptions, happy to sit back and watch them blow up. It's all very Brexit. 

It seems plenty have made their mind up, but a point I'll continue to reiterate is that John simply has not presented a'viable plan' - as is being suggested.  

If the company I worked for were in the shit and our CEO came out and said it's okay because our customers were going to buy more from us, I'd want to know how that was going to happen. What he has presented is an aim, not a plan. He has done absolutely nothing to address some very valid criticisms, from fans, people who have know how in areas such as marketing, and even a former chairman.

The closest to a 'how' we've heard is that we have "300-400 commercial directors" - this is idealistic nonsense. John presented at the Supporter's Trust AGM around December time, making n almost identical plea to those attending to help them sell corporate sponsorships. As per their website, they currently have a grand total of three corporate sponsors 6 months on. This is not an unwarranted criticism, but evidence that it won't work. Simply hoping, relying on goodwill and favours, isn't enough. Our own fans have never been more disillusioned with the club - let alone the town and its businesses. There needs to be a reason for them to engage and we aren't supplying that. "It's only a hundred quid" isn't anywhere near a good enough reason. 

More than this, there's a disconnect in John's last post on here. He's clearly a divisive figure, and he finds it difficult to understand why people aren't buying into his idea. It's clearer and clearer that he has his own vision and it's almost impossible to influence it to any degree. There's no doubting some of John's plans will be decent, but the inability to listen to others and work as a collective for the good of BRFC generates the frustration that leads to such criticism. Despite acknowledging there's a large audience who are critical of his plans, he expects that he'll still be able to convince more of these people to put more money into the club next season - and sees this as viable. I've seen a lot more fans talk about how they'll be reducing their (financial) support of the club in the next season than increase. 

People are also making the assumption that John will be working towards GM's plan. John stood in front of a room full of Berwick fans and made not one reference to it. John is working to John's plan, the same one he's had for over a decade, and if we proceed on that path my opinion is we're in even more danger. Reading between the lines of posts on FB by the likes of Gary O'Connor, it's pretty blatant John isn't working to the Mathieson plan that seemed well-received across the club.

Time will be the ultimate judge but I wouldn't want to be on the side happy to stick with what we've seen already.  I think from here I'll use the FB group wherever possible, which is a great idea.

We've no choice but to see what happens, but I bet my predictions are nearer to reality, JB will be sitting in a near empty stadium with a few of his sheep next season (Baa!). Me and my very own club, it's just what I've always wanted!

We're both passionately wanting the best for our club BTU, no doubt; as do most on here, aside from Mr Feet's personal vandetta.

Again, I respect your view that you feel John won't follow George's plan; I believe otherwise. What we do agree on is that he must, and that time will tell.

The Club's future rests on developing that plan through Directors with capacity and professional capability to deliver the benefits; with the SC and ST firmly behind them. Anything less will need the fall back of a random benefactor. Would you invest in a club with a negative equity model?

I hope we can unify on this; I'll walk over hot coals to see it through; but run a mile if we can't focus on a common strategy quickly.

Ok I don't follow social media and basically the only info I get is  here and the Official site (which appears to be shut down for the summer)

What is the state of Affairs ??

I understand the boardroom is in turmoil ...;..... again. But can some kind soul fill us in a little.

No announcement on the Managers and players to win the Lowland is kind of worrying.

What on earth is going on up there

First match in the League Cup groupstage is under 7 weeks away.

It surely cannot be left much longer until some certainty is established and announced over e.g. aims for next season, budget, management, players and pre-season.

Ok I don't follow social media and basically the only info I get is  here and the Official site (which appears to be shut down for the summer)
What is the state of Affairs ??
I understand the boardroom is in turmoil ...;..... again. But can some kind soul fill us in a little.
No announcement on the Managers and players to win the Lowland is kind of worrying.
What on earth is going on up there
As stated earlier, I believe the next Board meeting is on Tuesday, after which we may hear something.

You would be forgiven for wondering why they couldn't meet a little earlier.

Hopefully, we will belatedly hear about:-

Boardroom changes

If Brownlie and Yano will continue (and if not, who will be manager)

Players retained/released

If there are any changes to the proposals put forward by John Bell at his recent talk-in.

An apology for last year's shitfest.