Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

23 minutes ago, marello said:

has the Berwick #7 been with them all season? in the brief highlights, he looked a player..sure the sending off made a difference but looked very one  sided

Yup. It's Ouzy See. He's been crocked all season. Brought back too early a couple of times. That's his first full game.

55 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

You don't half talk some bollocks, as illustrated by your desperate need to continue repeatedly making this point. The reality is that Lenny and Walla will be a piece of piss to get rid of. For fucksake, the SC has just released a statement that shows as much.

It's clear on the other hand however that John believes he's the right man for the job still. He's still busy banging on about how he's got a sustainable plan and can't understand why fans are calling him out on plans so idealistic they verge on dangerous. He thinks the same majority of fans questioning it will be the same putting more money into the club next season. There's a clear disconnect that needs to be highlighted.

And in any case as above, singing sack the board doesn't mean sack John. If you want to know why more frustration is aimed at John, it's because he's by far the biggest blocker to change at the moment. It's mental you'll happily defend any individual, but then you wear very similarly tinted glasses to those you'll happily accuse everyone else of wearing when it comes the pair you mention.

I’ll answer you in full later  as I’m working but in the meantime, if you can, read Craig’s post he said fans singing about Bell I pointed out he isn’t the chairman, puppet Len is and we know who pulls the strings. Craig corrected that to singing sack the board in his next post.  

There's a lot of BS on here about JB, which is completely unfounded. It's clear that a lot of people don't understand how the board of a company operates. He can't unilaterally make decisions about anything except trifling matters. It all goes to the board for a vote, before action is taken. So, for example, it wasn't JB's decision about when JH got the boot, it was the board's. JB may have backed keeping him on, but so did the majority of the board. Similarly, JB didn't appoint him, the board did.

The thing that the club has mostly been lacking is leadership from the chairman, who has never articulated any vision for the future of the club in his time in charge. That, coupled with a board that mostly comprised apathetic, and/or lazy members, has led us to where we are now.

To give JB his due, at least he has put forward a vision to try and make BRFC a sustainable club going forward. And that's what it was: "a vision", not something set in stone, but laying out ideas for taking the club forward, and he has said that he's open to adjusting and amending it, so if people have got better ideas he's open to discussing them. The vision when it gers firmed up into a plan would have to be approved by the board.  Talking of whom, I think it's also a crying shame that GM resigned from the board too. From the outside, these were the only two board members who appeared to be giving any consideration to the club's future.

I don't think the SC's call for an EGM to oust the board makes sense at this point. It looks like they want to control what goes on (again) and we've seen how that's turned out in recent seasons. If there is an EGM, I hope that the club properly informs everyone on here who owns shares in the club (like me) about the meeting, and makes sure that we are told about how we can vote, either in person, or by proxy.

I think @Redcar is right in what he says about better support for Robbie Horn would (probably) have meant that we didn't end up where we are now. However, I'm not besties with JB, in case anyone thinks I am, and I'm not JB either! ;)

1 hour ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

Surprising that it was only 3. Good to see McManus amongst the scorers, I wonder if he will still be able to do a job in League 2 next season.

No chance 

he is done, certain to be released. A shame cos his twitter meltdown last year was hilarious.

It’s happened now we can’t change that, it’s all about the future. 

The SC statement suggests they want to appoint a new board. Good luck to whoever takes up those positions.

We lost a good man in George Mathison and despite reservations about becoming Chairman, John Bell is a major asset to the club as a director, he shouldn’t be singled out. 

The worry going forward is that we’ll be unable to compete with other Lowland League teams. It’s going to take time adjusting to the fact we support a mid-table Lowland League team. 

2 hours ago, Borderer said:

I’ve been to 11 out of the 16 Lowland grounds and there’s some good days out for those who go away. Queens at Hampden accepted nobody at Berwick is likely to miss tedious treks to Peterhead or Elgin twice each per campaign judging by the few independent fans who bother to go. Due to ground shares Berwick will still play at 5 of the same stadiums and there’s more variety as no more 4 games v each side as it’s back to a normal home and away only. Each to their own but I don’t accept that home games v the likes of Gretna or Spartans are any less attractive than playing Albion or Elgin.

This. In the depth of emotion it is tempting to see only gloom... but grounds like Ainslie Park, Broadwood, Galabank, New Central Park, Netherdale, Recreation Park, Falkirk Stadium, Raydale, Forthbank and so on are no different to what we've been used to in SPFL1&2. Opponents like Kelty, 'Shire, Spartans, EK and so forth (who knows maybe still Bonnyrigg too) are no lesser than what we've been used to be in SPFL1&2. Clearly it will feel a "come down" to many fans playing university teams, Edusport and Whitehill and experiencing grounds like Civil Service, Vale and Dalbeattie but that's a reality of relegation.

I think it's probably an element of the unknown too. I've had a few fans saying that we'll be playing on glorified public parks but that simply is not the case. Every club except Vale has a stand... every club except Civil Service, Vale and Whitehill have lights. (Vale do have a covered terrace incidentally). It will be a comedown for the board discovering there isn't always a directors box, tbf.

4 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It will be a comedown for the board discovering there isn't always a directors box, tbf.

“Board” isn’t a word you hear down in non league land much, it’s committee is it no 

First ever post on here and probably my only one.

I saw my first game at Shielfield in 1963 when I was six years old and have been a supporter ever since through the good times and the bad. Like a lot of posters, I agree that relegation was an entirely avoidable accident waiting to happen. The last few seasons have shown the need for change but lack of competitiveness on an off the pitch, the absence of strategic leadership and well-documented ongoing power struggles has got us into this position.

A number of posters and fans are asking for complete regime change. Fine - but given our current predicament there are a number of questions that need to be asked and answered.

1. Who should this be?
  2. Are there/could there be parties interested in taking over? If so, who are they and what would be their motives for taking on a small club playing in the Lowland League?
  3. If there are potential investors out there, would this ensure a sustainable future for the club that would allow it to thrive and not just (barely) survive as seems to be the case at the moment?

In his post, John Bell (who I’ve never met), rightly highlights the need for sustainability and the dangers of some potential investors having less than honourable intentions. In relation to the latter point, some of us are old enough to remember the time when some previous Board members/investors were looking to move the club to Gala. I can still remember joining in the chants of ‘We’re not going to Gala’. On another occasion some individuals were plotting for us to become ‘East Lothian Rangers’. They presumably recognised that even back then, geographical and demographic realities were limiting factors on having a team based in Berwick and were doubtless attracted by the franchise model of ownership - remember what happened to Meadowbank anyone? We can also hark back to the asset stripping when the Deans consortium were running the club and decided to sell up. This was followed by the Alan Bowes takeover when we nearly went out of business (an even darker period in the club’s history than today I would argue).

Amidst our justifiable anger and sorrow, the bottom line is that we are and where we are. Clearly, there needs to be a new business model that reflects the club’s present circumstances but more importantly ensures the club has a sustainable future. This requires clarity of purpose from whoever is on the Board. Doing more of the same hasn’t and won’t work going forward. Equally, singing ‘sack the Board’ and slagging off individuals might be cathartic for us fans but ultimately we need real solutions and leadership rather than just the venting  of spleen to take the club forward. We know what the problems are. We now need leadership and solutions rooted in reality if we are to have a sustainable future and rebuild a team that we can be proud of.

Edited by Sensible Soccer

35 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer said:

First ever post on here and probably my only one.

I saw my first game at Shielfield in 1963 when I was six years old and have been a supporter ever since through the good times and the bad. Like a lot of posters, I agree that relegation was an entirely avoidable accident waiting to happen. The last few seasons have shown the need for change but lack of competitiveness on an off the pitch, the absence of strategic leadership and well-documented ongoing power struggles has got us into this position.

A number of posters and fans are asking for complete regime change. Fine - but given our current predicament there are a number of questions that need to be asked and answered.

1. Who should this be?
  2. Are there/could there be parties interested in taking over? If so, who are they and what would be their motives for taking on a small club playing in the Lowland League?
  3. If there are potential investors out there, would this ensure a sustainable future for the club that would allow it to thrive and not just (barely) survive as seems to be the case at the moment?

In his post, John Bell (who I’ve never met), rightly highlights the need for sustainability and the dangers of some potential investors having less than honourable intentions. In relation to the latter point, some of us are old enough to remember the time when some previous Board members/investors were looking to move the club to Gala. I can still remember joining in the chants of ‘We’re not going to Gala’. On another occasion some individuals were plotting for us to become ‘East Lothian Rangers’. They presumably recognised that even back then, geographical and demographic realities were limiting factors on having a team based in Berwick and were doubtless attracted by the franchise model of ownership - remember what happened to Meadowbank anyone? We can also hark back to the asset stripping when the Deans consortium were running the club and decided to sell up. This was followed by the Alan Bowes takeover when we nearly went out of business (an even darker period in the club’s history than today I would argue).

Amidst our justifiable anger and sorrow, the bottom line is that we are and where we are. Clearly, there needs to be a new business model that reflects the club’s present circumstances but more importantly ensures the club has a sustainable future. This requires clarity of purpose from whoever is on the Board. Doing more of the same hasn’t and won’t work going forward. Equally, singing ‘sack the Board’ and slagging off individuals might be cathartic for us fans but ultimately we need real solutions and leadership rather than just the venting  of spleen to take the club forward. We know what the problems are. We now need leadership and solutions rooted in reality if we are to have a sustainable future and rebuild a team that we can be proud of.

A good post sir and shame if will be your only foray here.

You are right to take a step back & evaluate & asses  the situation objectively. I have no idea regards your board's individual skills and gaps  are but it would make sense they sit and map that put & look to recruit directors based on addressing those gaps & carrying out their due diligence on any prospective candidates.

I have said before from the outside key positives namely good facilities at Shielfield and a core support despite an awful season above a number in L2. The remote aspect is also a plus Berwick & Cowdenbeath have almost exactly the same populations, but with Cowdenbeath  they have to compete with Dunfermline &  Raith Rovers teams wit populations 4/5 times higher with better facilities playing at a higher level factor also in East Fife circa 25 minutes away. Berwick have more of a captive audience something to build on surely.

The key will be focusing on the key strategic areas that will bring most effect, again apologies looking from the outside I have no idea what the engagement is like  with the towns people and businesses  but I would have though pivotal area. I can think of a number areas you could develop, but I guess as with most clubs you then need people on the ground to implement, I guess comes back round to building/developing local engagement.

There are a number of clubs out there of similar stature it is worth Berwick going out & having a look at what they are doing and are there any quick wins/ideas they can steal.

I can only imagine how everyone around the club is feeling at the moment we only had the threat hanging twice which was bad enough not the final reality, but that has made us look at things through a different lens in certain areas.

I wish you all the very best, a lot of work to be done and likely a fair amount of change too which is never easy or pain free but if enough around the club can get on board  and stay the distance I really think you can make your way back.

1 hour ago, Berwick86 said:

Any update on who won the end of season awards? Only one who's been consistent is Geoff Allan and his absolutely incredible smokey and chips.

The smokey and chips will be a sad loss to Scottish league football, and one of the main reasons why both myself and my blind mate who visited Berwick a few months ago will miss our hoped-for return! RIP Smokey

Edited by Drifter

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I think it's probably an element of the unknown too. I've had a few fans saying that we'll be playing on glorified public parks but that simply is not the case. Every club except Vale has a stand... every club except Civil Service, Vale and Whitehill have lights. (Vale do have a covered terrace incidentally). It will be a comedown for the board discovering there isn't always a directors box, tbf.

Yes of the ones I’ve visited Vale will probably offer the least in terms of good facilities and a decent town centre. Although Civil Service is quite basic ground wise,  you do have the day out in Edinburgh for those who like to partake in liquid refreshment/good food as oppose to dog burger and/or enjoy a spot of shopping/sight seeing. Whitehill is a  better ground than Vale but situated in the middle of nowhere with little in Rosewell itself. So there are definitely some less rewarding days out as you’d expect.

On the plus side though as agreed, there’s still Gretna and Galashiels which are ok, Falkirk, Stirling, Spartans, Annan and other opportunities for decent trips. So it’s hardly railed off park pitches every week. It’s a mixture but at least there’s no 225+ mile treks and for me personally I prefer the 2 rather than 4 game opposition format.

10 minutes ago, Borderer said:

Whitehill is a  better ground than Vale but situated in the middle of nowhere with little in Rosewell itself. So there are definitely some less rewarding days out as you’d expect.

Bit harsh there maybe not a lot in Rosewell itself but ask a Shire,Kelty or any fan at that if they enjoyed the social club being INSIDE the ground at Whitehill  ? 

Its maybe all irrelevant anyways as we still don't know what league we will be playing in next season. 

Everybody knows the San Fergie is the best awayday in the league!

Spoiler

plus a guaranteed 3 points :whistle

Spoiler

(cheers in advance Newky for the red dot :lol: )

Edited by The Mantis

Rosewell middle of nowhere? 10 minutes off two stops on the Borders Railway, three buses an hour into the capital city nine miles away. Six local derbies within a ten minute drive. The isolation must be overwhelming compared to the metropolitan hub 60 miles down the A1.