Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

3 hours ago, dougster said:

I don't know who you are but this kind of post doesn't help. I'm a massive critic of the board but let's have a sensible debate not some free for all mud slinging 

Go away and boil your face in a pan of welks, you'll be a trust member,  one of those who thinks you actually own the majority of the club and wants to own the rest, let me guess, your a follower and a mate of your great leader John, the man who appointed JH and kept him in work even when we were getting stuffed week in week out, shipping goals  by the bucket load.

I have shares that are now worth nothing, I bought them to support my local club as my father did before me, I trusted that the regime would do what others have done for nearly 140 years, that is to preserve league football in the town, I also buy my season ticket, that in my mind allows me to be critical of the people I see as responsible.

I have seen utter pish for weeks, why it took the board until the last game before the playoffs  to fire JH, is a mystery, they must have realised as early as January/ February that we were heading for trouble, mistakenly  they thought Albion were worse than us and we would finish second bottom, the Clyde decision went against us and Albion moved to address their form, won a few games and hey-presto we were f**ked.

Now we have a 67 years old ex player who has done SFA for years alongside a former manager who has an equally pish record this season with WW, to be fair to them, they can only work with what the have in front of them, which is a disinterested team who easily concedes goals and cannot score themselves, the stats from Saturday of 21 Shots to 2 says it all.

I will therefore continue to  criticise the current board, the coup members, the ST and the SC at every opportunity, until there is a complete regime change. like many supporters, I will not be paying to watch LL football next season, but I will eat my words and bare my arse on Stoddart's corner if its 5-0 nil on Saturday.

Crowd on Saturday was 1955, and the Cove 50-50 draw prize was £975 (give or take a few quid). Nice little earner for someone, and a good chunk of money for the club too.

At our last home game (Albion), where we got a good crowd of 975, the 50-50 draw prize was £177 (according to the web site). Can anyone explain why the payout looks so low in comparison? Is it just a mistake on the web site?

For comparison purposes, the prize was £138 for the midweek QP game (12th March) when the crowd was 293, and for the last Edinburgh game (30th March) was £200 for a crowd of 468.

1 hour ago, Ducket Lodger said:

Go away and boil your face in a pan of welks, you'll be a trust member,  one of those who thinks you actually own the majority of the club and wants to own the rest, let me guess, your a follower and a mate of your great leader John, the man who appointed JH and kept him in work even when we were getting stuffed week in week out, shipping goals  by the bucket load.

I have shares that are now worth nothing, I bought them to support my local club as my father did before me, I trusted that the regime would do what others have done for nearly 140 years, that is to preserve league football in the town, I also buy my season ticket, that in my mind allows me to be critical of the people I see as responsible.

I have seen utter pish for weeks, why it took the board until the last game before the playoffs  to fire JH, is a mystery, they must have realised as early as January/ February that we were heading for trouble, mistakenly  they thought Albion were worse than us and we would finish second bottom, the Clyde decision went against us and Albion moved to address their form, won a few games and hey-presto we were f**ked.

Now we have a 67 years old ex player who has done SFA for years alongside a former manager who has an equally pish record this season with WW, to be fair to them, they can only work with what the have in front of them, which is a disinterested team who easily concedes goals and cannot score themselves, the stats from Saturday of 21 Shots to 2 says it all.

I will therefore continue to  criticise the current board, the coup members, the ST and the SC at every opportunity, until there is a complete regime change. like many supporters, I will not be paying to watch LL football next season, but I will eat my words and bare my arse on Stoddart's corner if its 5-0 nil on Saturday.

It only needs to be 4-0 to get to extra time.

18 minutes ago, Alpha Gordini said:

Crowd on Saturday was 1955, and the Cove 50-50 draw prize was £975 (give or take a few quid). Nice little earner for someone, and a good chunk of money for the club too.

At our last home game (Albion), where we got a good crowd of 975, the 50-50 draw prize was £177 (according to the web site). Can anyone explain why the payout looks so low in comparison? Is it just a mistake on the web site?

For comparison purposes, the prize was £138 for the midweek QP game (12th March) when the crowd was 293, and for the last Edinburgh game (30th March) was £200 for a crowd of 468.

The 50-50 draws always seem to be around the £150-£200 mark whether it is a bigger crowd or not. Well done to Cove if they are making that amount. Probably plenty of neutrals at the game buying them.

17 minutes ago, gogsy said:

:lol::lol:Gary Bollan has bookmarked this

Excellent. Think Bollan would say whelks though. Unless, welks is a Berwick word.

2 hours ago, Ducket Lodger said:

Welks? Don’t bother showing your arse , everyone can see you’re full of shite already 

Not over til its over but its not looking good.

I hugely enjoyed my trips to Shielfield with the Bankies despite a relatively poor record there. We had some excellent wee tussles with supporters team as well ... 

Not wishing to intrude on grief too much but being someone who worked to re-establish our club post 2002, i can say there is life outwith the National leagues. We are working at joining the pyramid, have a redeveloped ground to move into next season and hope to be playing the likes of yourselves competitively again soon.  

Lowland League is there to allow clubs to progress ( and move down ) in a meritocracy. Its to be welcomed. You'll find a number of well-run and ( in case of ex-Junior clubs ) well-supported clubs with decent facilities. Im sure the Shire fans dont feel its like the end.

Take the time to sort yourselves out and emerge stronger - and able to start enjoying your fitba again.

Best of luck 

Edited by BANKIEBILL

15 hours ago, Ducket Lodger said:

Your shares were always worth the square root of f**k all, the same as mine and everyone elses’s who Bought some. It’s a financial donation to the football club with zero expectation of a financial return. Did your adviser not explain that to you or were you too busy wiping the drool off your keyboard?

You’ve given everyone connected with the club some heat on here, much of it with some justification.

What’s your plan to get us out of the mess, and apart from the er, alleged Rowan consortium, who are these mystery investors?

Your shares were always worth the square root of f**k all, the same as mine and everyone elses’s who Bought some. It’s a financial donation to the football club with zero expectation of a financial return. Did your adviser not explain that to you or were you too busy wiping the drool off your keyboard?

You’ve given everyone connected with the club some heat on here, much of it with some justification.

What’s your plan to get us out of the mess, and apart from the er, alleged Rowan consortium, who are these mystery investors?

I’m assuming this obsession with Rowan and masons is some more boardroom leaking and protecting this dated Bell ‘vision’ we’re all supposed to buy into. All the more reason imo that we need some totally new people in control of this club.

Although Ducket Lodger says a lot of shite, he’s certainly got a point on the supporter ownership which has failed. Whether it would fail everywhere, probably not, but at Berwick with the characters involved, political manoeuvring, and everyone seemingly knowing everything because of it, it certainly hasn’t worked.

I’ve said enough about the gradual decline on here, going back years, so it’s pointless adding much more than to say we had a chance of sorting ourselves out and coming back from it at any point until now. Not everything was terrible. The reason we can’t now is the Harvey appointment (which I initially backed), and more importantly the refusal to get rid long past it had obviously failed. A decision that someone or some people should be held accountable for.

So yes, for me actively seek some new people to take over and have the SC and Trust having a say in some things, but not THE say. If that’s offering up shares so be it.

Let’s not delude ourselves into thinking a new stadium and going round the town with the begging bowl to local businesses putting the guilt trip on with ‘400 commercial directors’ is some kind of ‘vision’. Dom had a point when he talked about how ridiculous that was compared to building targeted relationships with companies who WANT to be involved with us. His article wasn’t great, but a lot of the stuff he put on here in that essay length post was pretty good. When the chairman elect won’t listen to someone like him who knows what they’re talking about in that field, and seems to think that he ‘knows football’ culminating in the Harvey debacle, you have to think about starting again with someone totally new at the top.

29 minutes ago, BerwickMad said:

I’m assuming this obsession with Rowan and masons is some more boardroom leaking and protecting this dated Bell ‘vision’ we’re all supposed to buy into. All the more reason imo that we need some totally new people in control of this club.

Although Ducket Lodger says a lot of shite, he’s certainly got a point on the supporter ownership which has failed. Whether it would fail everywhere, probably not, but at Berwick with the characters involved, political manoeuvring, and everyone seemingly knowing everything because of it, it certainly hasn’t worked.

I’ve said enough about the gradual decline on here, going back years, so it’s pointless adding much more than to say we had a chance of sorting ourselves out and coming back from it at any point until now. Not everything was terrible. The reason we can’t now is the Harvey appointment (which I initially backed), and more importantly the refusal to get rid long past it had obviously failed. A decision that someone or some people should be held accountable for.

So yes, for me actively seek some new people to take over and have the SC and Trust having a say in some things, but not THE say. If that’s offering up shares so be it.

Let’s not delude ourselves into thinking a new stadium and going round the town with the begging bowl to local businesses putting the guilt trip on with ‘400 commercial directors’ is some kind of ‘vision’. Dom had a point when he talked about how ridiculous that was compared to building targeted relationships with companies who WANT to be involved with us. His article wasn’t great, but a lot of the stuff he put on here in that essay length post was pretty good. When the chairman elect won’t listen to someone like him who knows what they’re talking about in that field, and seems to think that he ‘knows football’ culminating in the Harvey debacle, you have to think about starting again with someone totally new at the top.

No, there’s no protecting a “Bell vision” or any other kind of vision here. The club needs to start again from ground zero. Practically, I’m not sure how easy that would be but it needs new people at the helm and yes, a new structure for both ownership and governance. What it doesn’t need is more wannabe sugar daddies or people who fancy a Saturday afternoon in the boardroom with their mates. Maybe it is time for a younger generation to take over. There are plenty of able people out there. Why aren’t they stepping up to the plate? They’ve got a low benchmark to beat, and it might just work. 

As for Dom, he’s precisely the kind of person I wouldn’t want to see involved. Ego would trump the club’s best interests. Our predicament has no room for that.

Like most Berwick supporters I thought that, at the time, the Harvey appointment was a good one, just like the Horn appointment. Both have proven to be disastrous. But let’s nail the myth that appointing Harvey and retaining him long after he should have been shown the door was the chairman-elects’ responsibility. It wasn’t - it was a board decision and they share collective responsibility for those decisions just as they did when the club won the league.  That’s one of the many reasons we need a handover to an entirely new board. But it can’t be blind - there has to be due diligence done on whoever takes over and shareholders need to be confident the people running the club can implement the kind of radical change needed to turn the club around. None of this will be easy. 

16 hours ago, Alpha Gordini said:

The crowd at Peterhead v Stirling Albion was 1,371 and the 50/50 prize was £971.

1 hour ago, Disc Potato said:

8 players under contract until 31st May 2020.

Jack Cook, Aidan Mcilduff, Grant Rose, Daryl Healy, Calum Adamson, Craig Hume, Andy Forbes and Lewy Barr. 

Hmmm.  

I'm okay with seven of those, make of that what you will and guess who the odd one out may be.

44 minutes ago, Berwick Obama said:

No, there’s no protecting a “Bell vision” or any other kind of vision here. The club needs to start again from ground zero. Practically, I’m not sure how easy that would be but it needs new people at the helm and yes, a new structure for both ownership and governance. What it doesn’t need is more wannabe sugar daddies or people who fancy a Saturday afternoon in the boardroom with their mates. Maybe it is time for a younger generation to take over. There are plenty of able people out there. Why aren’t they stepping up to the plate? They’ve got a low benchmark to beat, and it might just work. 

As for Dom, he’s precisely the kind of person I wouldn’t want to see involved. Ego would trump the club’s best interests. Our predicament has no room for that.

Like most Berwick supporters I thought that, at the time, the Harvey appointment was a good one, just like the Horn appointment. Both have proven to be disastrous. But let’s nail the myth that appointing Harvey and retaining him long after he should have been shown the door was the chairman-elects’ responsibility. It wasn’t - it was a board decision and they share collective responsibility for those decisions just as they did when the club won the league.  That’s one of the many reasons we need a handover to an entirely new board. But it can’t be blind - there has to be due diligence done on whoever takes over and shareholders need to be confident the people running the club can implement the kind of radical change needed to turn the club around. None of this will be easy. 

I agree to a large extent, but what's our unique selling point that's going to attract investors? JB's basic plan is to reconnect the club with the community (which is what he talked about in the paper at the weekend) and George had created the financial plans. Those seemed pretty sensible to me. I'd have started now, by offering tickets (maybe limited to 500) for a fiver to those people who show up at the club to collect them during some set hours before Saturday.

Meanwhile, what have the other directors been doing? From where I'm sitting it doesn't appear to be a lot. Do they have any plans or ideas for bringing in money and/or taking the club forward? Like you say, it's collective responsibility, and most of the personal mud-slinging at JB is misdirected. There seem to be a lot of people on here happy to criticise, but very few offer sensible solutions to what are pretty deep-seated problems that will take time and effort (and money) to fix.

You're spot on about Dom: given his background he would've known about the reputational damage to the club that a single tweet could cause.

I don’t really get why it would bother you if someone investing money was enjoying the boardroom. Surely there are these kind of people at clubs the length and breadth of the country. Some better run than others. It sounds almost like a political/class thing, against people with money going to the ‘gentleman dinner’, enjoying their money type thing.

I’m pretty sure you’ll also get these kind of people who just want to enjoy their money and help the local team, charity or whatever, who’ll also get young people with ideas involved also. They could deliver a strategy, or get someone else to, to get people involved and listen to ideas. I don’t necessarily think a ‘sugar daddy’ is going to be deaf to people who know better than them in different areas, which is what we have anyway at the moment. Not many people will want to help fund an unsuccessful bottomless pit for the sake of a boardroom piss up.

And at the same time, the vast majority of fans will just want to see a successful team on the park rather than worry if the person helping to fund it upstairs is slurping back the pints or not. We are going to need all the help we can get competing against well funded teams like Kelty and East Kilbride, especially when the parachute payments go if we can’t make an immediate return. I really don’t think an investor, or a group of people investing would put off the younger people I know who have come and go in helping the club getting involved again.

I think your post if I’m honest sums up one of the issues and shows why some have looked to reject the likes of Monty and Neil Templeman in the past. I mean what’s more important, the team on the park (whether funded a golf club clique, masons, the church or a gentleman’s club or whatever) or trying to create a club in an ideal community project/social enterprise type thing. Christ, I’d take a good team with the later, but let’s not cut off our nose to spite our face if we know of people willing to invest, just because they might want to enjoy the boardroom.

On Dom, I get your point and yes can see why he was sacked, however he still knows his stuff when it comes to marketing etc. I’m sure he conveyed his ideas to the club and to the new chairman. In fact I know he did. Its more that none of that is taken on board, whether he’s still there or not.

I honetly can't see anyone brave enough to take on this project. There is far too much wreckage to sort through.

For as long as I've known, Berwick Rangers has never been a sustainable business. It's all about minimising the losses and managing a deficit until the luck of the draw comes into play and the club benefit from a windfall. Director's have covered cash flow problems with short/long term loans until they can draw their money back. It's only the last few year's that have seen us in the comfort zone but that time is coming to an end. 

At this moment in time we are working on budget that is throwing up around a 40k loss. Fair play to the chairman elect for trying to address this with his plans discussed at the recent forum. His ideas are the same as directors had 30 years ago, there was nothing new. Again John talked about increasing revenue in the following areas :-

- Advertising - Hospitality - Kit Sponsorship - Match day Attendance

With relegation almost certain, I only see income dropping further in the above areas and creating even bigger financial losses next year.  

The overheads appear to have spiralled out of control. There is lots of pressure now on directors to make tough decisions which could result in job losses to non playing staff. The club can no longer afford all the paid roles at the club. This sadly is the result of mis-mangement at board level. 

8 players are already signed for next season which will take up a fair percentage of the playing budget, this could make it even harder to find a manager to come in.

It's a mess, a huge fucking mess right now. The last thing we need is the SC and ST working against each other, as major shareholders it is up to them to try and find a solution to our current problems and that means working together. 

The word "ambition" gets thrown about from time to time. Any ambition to move forward needs to be parked for now while some fire fighting is done, just to get the club on the straight and narrow will take a huge effort from lots of people. So forget about bouncing back at the first attempt, that looks unachievable even with the parachute payment. 

I'll doff my cap to any party that financially gets involved.  Should we fail to see any new owners arrive on the scene, we need to start by appointing a strong chairman who is not afraid to make bold decisions that can build a structure for the club. That might mean the ST and SC have to advertise that position. 

It'll take a minimum of three years to get anywhere, that will also mean there will be no parachute payment but then we might have a base to build from, there is no quick fix to our current problems.

Edited by Disc Potato

It seems like the one thing we all agree on is a need for fresh people at the very top operating under a different structure. But who steps into those roles if that was achieved - can you really call for a younger generation, and entirely rule out people like Dom? 

I don’t disagree that he’s egotistical and nor do I ever think he goes about things particularly well, in fact I’ve made my feelings perfectly clear on him and he knows that, but ultimately times have changed and an understanding of digital marketing is the very minimum you need in such a role nowadays. 

In the space of about 2 paragraphs, Dom had outlined a better plan for attracting commercial sponsorship than the previous director responsible or the chairman-elect ever has. Certainly better than ‘400 commercial directors’ and a plan based on little more than the hope that goodwill exists towards a club that can’t keep it’s own fans happy, let alone the local community. 

Ruling out a person like Dom on the basis of ego would be indicative of how we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot. Half the reason Dom, I dare say myself and others younger go about things the way we do is because they’re actually suppressed when they do try to help - you’re invited to at the beginning but very quickly limited. The only way to drive improvement beyond that at the moment is to put your head above the parapet, and take making yourself look the w****r in doing so a simple byproduct of wanting more for your club.  

Under the current regime, Berwick Rangers Football Club hasn’t had a board that works together effectively. Indeed, factions have generally worked against each other.

Think about some of the ‘successes’ of the decade. Matty’s efforts with the kids/community or the club being brought up to the 21st century with digital and social presence. They’ve been things led by ‘younger’, limited by ‘older’. 

If you want to know why younger aren’t stepping up to the plate, it’s because the structure doesn’t exist to do so and it’s because when they do they’re blocked. It’s because they have to force change, and when they do they find they have to ‘sacrifice reputation’ to achieve change. That sacrificed reputation then leads to being in a position where people will suggest we need fresh ideas and young people, but rule you out of the running because of ego. 

I believe the ‘younger’ would be more willing to work with each other; to put the needs of the club above their own and show more maturity in the boardroom than those who’ve occupied those places previously and currently. I think Dom can be a total p***k, but still think we could benefit from his experience and knowledge in the right areas if a structure was there to reign him in and ensure he was also showing awareness of the bigger picture. 

That said, there’s a need for diversity, experience, resources. But the point isn’t all about young or old, rich or poor, male or female. It’s ultimately about the existence of a structure and operational approach that encourages getting the best out of individuals in areas they’re best in, while ensuring that collectively, they’re pushing the club forward. 

As has been said, all we see at the moment is politics. Its prominence at board level encourages it amongst the support. Politicking about Dom, Rowan, whoever, is only going to keep us further away from genuine change. You might say until that structure is in place, it doesn’t matter who’s there anyway but nevertheless, the young can’t do it without the old, the rich without the poor, vice-versa and so on.  

One point I disagree on though is that Bell bears no responsibility for the Harvey debacle. At the very least its partial in that he was on Harvey’s side until the bitter end, and given the culture of boardroom factions against the absolute disaster and failure that was Harvey’s spell, I don’t know that I think people were on Harvey’s side as much as they might have been on John’s. 

8 players under contract until 31st May 2020.
Jack Cook, Aidan Mcilduff, Grant Rose, Daryl Healy, Calum Adamson, Craig Hume, Andy Forbes and Lewy Barr. 
Hmmm.  

Pear shaped formation