Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

Just read this extract from the paper.

The incoming chairman is portraying himself as some kind of great white knight who will revitalise the club, what a load of pish, he is and has been a more than active board member who has been in office during this period of deterioration, he along with the rest of the board and the members of the coup are solely responsible for the demise of this once great club.

His fanciful idea of a new multi-million pound stadium for Lowland League football shows how  wrong his judgement has been, just imagine if he had been chairman years sooner, and the stadium had been underway, the club would be in immediate administration today, without a doubt.

Do you really think the current administration should carry on in their respective roles, they have sunk the club, good and proper, why should they continue until there ambition meets the reality of the East of Scotland League along with Tweedmouth Rangers, a local derby in two seasons is a reality.

At this point I would give Neil Oliver the managers job, he's local and he has connections, the current board have failed to appoint him on numerous occasions, stating he wasn't experienced enough, put him alongside the new chairmans appointment of JH I would go for Ollie every time, as would the majority of locals.

So what John Bell has supported the club since he was 10, Ian Oliver  gave a lifetime of service, so has Dennis McLeary, if the man has any decency he will accept he is not the man to take Berwick forward.

This is important;

THE CLUB SHOULD ARRANGE AN EXTRAORDINARY GENERAL MEETING AND ACCEPT THEY HAVE FAILED THE CLUB THE TOWN AND THE SUPPORT.

THEY SHOULD NUETRALISE ALL SHARE HOLDINGS AND OFFER WHATS LEFT OF THE CLUB FOR SALE, FORGET THE TRUST AND SUPPORTERS CLUB, THE REALITY IS THEY HAVE PROVEN THAT THEY CANNOT TAKE THE CLUB FORWARD.

SHARE OWNERSHIP HAS NOT WORKED AND WILL NOT WORK, BERWICK RANGERS NEEDS SIGNIFICANT INVESTMENT BY PERSONS WHO WILL INVEST IN THE TEAM, FIRST AND FOREMOST, THE CURRENT OWNERSHIP MODEL DOES NOT HAVE ANYONE WHO IS IN A POSITION TO LOOK AT THE TEAM AND ITS SHORTFALLS, TO THEN GO OUT AND GET QUALITY PLAYERS WHO WILL PROVIDE THE QUALITY AND RESULTS THE TEAM NEEDS.

The incoming chairman is trying to say he will invest in local talent, that's crap and its not going to happen, yes invest in junior football through youth systems, there are however a lot of progressive junior teams in the local area such as Tweedmouth Rangers, Spittal Rovers, Tweedmouth Amateurs etc. the club does very little to connect with these teams.

Why would any up and coming young footballer look up to a club who is only in the LL and not likely to get out without significant investment.

I understand JB has already set out on a scheme of further cost cutting, before relegation is confirmed, on this, I was upstairs for the Albion Rovers Game at the cost of £25.00 a head, the hospitality was atrocious, the lad serving said it wasn't the caterers fault, but the board had gave them a budget of £3.00 per head for food which amounted to a manky 1/4 scotch pie, sausage rolls cut as small as possible, dry sandwiches and some cakes that looked like Lenny had brought them from his hoose. That says it all about the ambition of the clubs current administration.

Unfortunately, there are too many ego's upstairs at Berwick Rangers, there is nothing wrong with ego's, but the point is that neither the Trust or the Supporters Club have the means to invest in Team Building, spending money on shares has given them a stake in the club, which they wanted to take over,  but the model doesn't provide the required funds for team building, if they can't see that is the issue, they are deluded.

An  EGM will probably never happen, but an open invitation to potential investors might, if the ST and the SC want to retain a say maximum 15% shareholding each and the remaining shareholders diluted their total holding to 15% that would give an investor or investors a chance of a 55% controlling interest, although who would invest in a write off -TAKE A BOW you current directors who have condemned BRFC to the history books.

42 minutes ago, Alpha Gordini said:

From yesterday's paper, scanned in in two parts, but readable (I hope): "The reason we are in this position is that other clubs work harder".

Ignoring the fact that the top photo on the right isn't JB, there is some interesting stuff in here. It shows that we've drifted into failure. It's taken a combination of apathy and/or lethargy on the part of the Board who've just ignored what's been going on around them, heaving another sigh of relief (and self-congratulation?) in recent seasons when we've dodged the relegation play-offs, and poor team management (letting reasonable players go and replacing them with players who aren't as good).

BR Part 1.pdf

BR Part 2.pdf

An interesting read a lot of which I can relate to what has happened to Berwick  "drifting into failure" is something a number of clubs need to be aware of. It happened to my own club not from malintent but a combination of familiarity, and lack of resource with a small dedicated group doing their utmost but over stretched.

Identifying the issue is the first part thereafter it is about forming plans and setting goals and looking at things through a different lens. Good post from @Disc Potato who hits the nail on the head regards engagement, this is east to lose and often very hard to regain. Without engagement  apathy builds, community & potential sponsors don't see the attraction, players don't feel part of anything making it hard to recruit and retain better players. 

Turning this around is a massive job  that needs constant focus and key is brining in new people from different backgrounds with energy and fresh ideas whether as directors or in my opinion just as importantly as "foot soldiers" driving initiatives at the coal face.

Looking at Berwick  I see a lot of positives and potential, you have good facilities club/bar etc and despite poor form from what I see decent core home support averaging around the 400 mark.

I don't know what your board's strategies or views have been in the past nor their own individual experiences & skills but in my opinion it is key now that they look to reach out  to their fans and ask for help in creating & delivering a plan to take the club forward from which ever point the club finds itself after next Saturday  to some extent the end position is irrelevant as the key is to bring in a fresh approach, bring people on board, stop the rot & start moving forward .

Best of luck 

1 hour ago, Ducket Lodger said:

there are however a lot of progressive junior teams in the local area such as Tweedmouth Rangers

Bottom of East Of Scotland Conference A - played 24, won 1, drew 1, lost 22, scored 20 conceded 115

That's exactly the sort of progression we are making already

OK 90 mins to seal out fate!

I think that its now a given we are exiting league status with not so much as a whimper.

Lets start at the top

The board perhaps a statement to all the supporters might be the order, from here in Cambridgeshire it looks as though this was the intention for this season, but while the board, Trust, and SC throw their collective cuddlies out of the prambulator. the Club has been descending right in from of them. The next few weeks will certainly see their intentions of either promotion or stagnation.

The manager JH well his legacy is there for all to see, Yano and JB came in when we were as low as possibly we could be, But are they the ones to get us back ??

The Players, again from the view down here I would have said they were also protesting against the manager. But he was punted it was a chance to showcase their talent, BUT Jesus H I now believe they are genuinely that crap.

I advocate a total clear out and start again top to bottom. This time we are Berwick Rangers we want the best for our club not oneupmanship, squabbles and cock waving. It thats the aim GTF 

Will miss the best away day in the division and it’s sad to see Berwick go, but part of me remembers some Berwick fans giving us it tight when we were in the previous play offs, so no sympathy for them. 

Easy to slag the bottom team,  but it can easily be anyone with a bad season. 

I wouldn’t bet we see Berwick come back up to be honest. The club sounds like it’s in turmoil.

36 minutes ago, big al said:

Will miss the best away day in the division and it’s sad to see Berwick go, but part of me remembers some Berwick fans giving us it tight when we were in the previous play offs, so no sympathy for them. 

Easy to slag the bottom team,  but it can easily be anyone with a bad season. 

I wouldn’t bet we see Berwick come back up to be honest. The club sounds like it’s in turmoil.

It was only some Berwick fans, one in particular who seems to have disappeared.

It was only some Berwick fans, one in particular who seems to have disappeared.

Yes. That one in particular was incredibly naive. He obviously thought it couldn’t possibly happen to Berwick Rangers. I suspect reality has hit home, hence the disappearance. All it needs is a few seasons of cash flow issues and every small club is at risk. Worrying but it’s reality.

21 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

To supplement the Selkirk/etc. chat... Berwick going down would have a knock-on effect on one club: Leith Athletic.

They wouldn't now play EOS Premier Division next season.

Why Leith HJ? Sauchie have the best 6th place record do they not? What am I missing?

Well, shortly we will be gone from this forum. Probably not to return for some time. Another thing to add to the list of things we won't get due to the malignant stagnation of our club. I really don't believe the board have the wherewithal to comprehend where they have taken us. Why oh why did they let Harvey sink the boat. Perhaps we are all guilt in some respects. Maybe we should have collectively taken more direct action at games, trust meetings, even upstairs after matches. But you don't do you. You think someone will see we heading into a cliff and will pull the parachute. But here we are. The nuclear scenario is upon us. A club with 2 league titles on the wall. Maybe see you in the Cup forum, or in LL 2020.
Well done Lenny & Co.

4 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Why Leith HJ? Sauchie have the best 6th place record do they not? What am I missing?

If no team is moving up as looks very likely now you only need one 6th place in EoS premier next season not two, which would be Sauchie.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Berwick not going down would mean Selkirk's space in LL being unfilled...

... Selkirk's space in LL would near-certainly be filled by someone due to play in EOS Premier Division (granted: in theory it could be someone else, like LTHV / Threave / Glasgow Uni - but in reality surely not)...

... that would leave their space in EOS Premier Division...

... and that space would go to Leith Athletic, as 2nd-best 6th-place.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Just now, LongTimeLurker said:

If no team is moving up as looks very likely now you only need one 6th place not two.

"It wouldn't now play EOS premier this season" to me reads they would be playing EOS Premier because of this. Maybe just the way it is written and I read it.

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Berwick not going up would mean Selkirk's space in LL being unfilled...

... Selkirk's space in LL would near-certainly be filled by someone due to play in EOS Premier Division (granted: in theory it could be someone else, like LTHV / Threave / Glasgow Uni - but in reality surely not)...

... that would leave their space in EOS Premier Division...

... and that space would go to Leith Athletic, as 2nd-best 6th-place.

Wouldn't / won't confusion is the cause of any misunderstanding.

On 10/05/2019 at 09:43, Disc Potato said:

Exactly BM.

Let's get everybody up for this, it's all about the football.

Haven't a clue what our best 11 is but whoever takes to the pitch will get loud support.

Even Toto is coming out of retirement.  Everywhere we go......................................

Wish I hadn't bothered cuz.

Mass resignations from the board next Saturday, Scottish Power will be in after the game to disconnect the power.

No more roof work for Cough

No more jobs for Walla to keep his business afloat

No more wearing the yellow coat for Jimmy Purdon

The club is now worthless, the shares are now worthless, but at least we might build a new £4M stadium

The big question is whether the Directors will have the neck to show up next Saturday and face the fans, be even better if they issued a statement, where they could blame JH, Sadsack or the geezer taking the car park money at the gate, anybody but themselves.

The fact is, I am told there is investment available in the town, many people have voiced an interest, but not under the current regime.

RANGERS NEED MAJOR HEART SURGERY, A PACEMAKER WILL JUST KEEP US TICKING ALONG UNTIL THE PARACHUTE PAYMENTS RUN OUT OVER TWO YEARS, THEN IT WILL BE TOO LATE FOR A TRANSPLANT AND WE'LL BE WELL AND TRULY DEED! 

48 minutes ago, Ducket Lodger said:

Serious indeed, good job we've got chairman John, he'll sort it, you cannot knock what he's done so far.

When's the president presiding over the funeral

Bunch of losers.

Vote Duggie Watkin for Chairman

I don't know who you are but this kind of post doesn't help. I'm a massive critic of the board but let's have a sensible debate not some free for all mud slinging