Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

http://berwickrangers.com/management-changes/

Berwick Rangers can confirm today that Johnny Harvey has left the post of First Team Manager. Club Chairman Len Eyre said: “We’d like to thank Johnny for his absolute commitment to Berwick Rangers and his tireless work to improve matters. He inherited a difficult situation and unfortunately has been unable to get the results we needed to stay clear of the foot of League Two. We sincerely wish him every success for the future.”

The Club have appointed former Managers John Brownlie and Ian Little to the positions of Manager and Assistant respectively with immediate effect and they will take charge of the team for the visit to Elgin on Saturday.

Edited by DutchBorderer

Thank f**k. ABH - anyone but Harvey. Far far too late - should have gone after Annan- but at least we have a chance now , however minuscule, it’s still more than we had after Saturday.

An overdue decision that may still come too late to achieve anything but certainly reenergises the majority of the support. I don't think anything can be worse than Harvey at the point we'd reached and more than happy to give these two a go - and we certainly aren't in any position to be fussy.  

For all Yano had his faults first spell, his style of play was exciting, we attracted decent players and he's the only person to have led us to the play-offs. By the sounds of it Brownlie has been in the Scottish game in more recruitment-focused roles throughout the years he hasn't been managing, so it sounds an interesting dynamic. 

It's still time to cross your fingers and hope for a miracle, but at least now there's been action there's a semblance of hope - not just for the immediate future, but next season too. 

16 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Brownlie is a brilliant shout, both guys will have the respect of the squad and that’s a massive improvement already. Plus his experience is invaluable, forget his age, it’s not like he’s there to “defend crosses and win headers”! :whistle

Aye, good luck to all involved. It’s been a horrible for Berwick fans recently.

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

WW record played 16 won 1 draw 4 lost 11 (though one was 4 0 aet) for 13 against 38 

Very best of luck wi them stats :unsure2:

Can only do what you can with players you have I suppose

At last common sense prevails, we've got to give the team the best chance to win the play-offs, therefore changing a manager who cannot motivate the team is the right call.

Don't underestimate we are drinking at the last chance saloon.

I hear the mayor is preparing a takeover bid!

30 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

Happy for former players like Marc Anthony to weigh in, but I don't agree with the lad

image.png.1cc68d57b02f7f5cd32cf7dcbebe99b9.png

Did you also note that Johnny Harvey 'liked' the post?

I wonder what bit he's liking, dig at the board, his efforts....or the players letting him down?  Or it all!

47 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

Happy for former players like Marc Anthony to weigh in, but I don't agree with the lad

image.png.1cc68d57b02f7f5cd32cf7dcbebe99b9.png

Christ knows how bad we would have been if he wasn't putting in a huge effort. 

I enjoy the notion that Harper (and any other part time manager for that matter) has been sitting fingering himself, not doing any work, while Harvey has been working harder than any manager ever, in the history of football.

An absolutely necessary move, but not one I, or probably the majority of BRFC fans, take great pleasure in. At the end of the day, he's gone - albeit weeks too late. Like a previous poster has said, it should have been after Annan away. 6 goals in half an hour and getting a fan into the changing room post-match - why that didn't majorly set the alarm bells ringing I've no idea. In recent weeks, friends and family of players past and present castigated him on social media, a clear sign that he had completely lost the dressing room - yet nothing was done. However, our chances of getting out of this mess have been raised from none at all, to slim.

What is completely unacceptable, though, is the fact that the rumour mill and P&B 'confirmation' started more than 12 hours before the official club announcement. This is downright embarrassing. How six board members can't keep their mouths shut until it has been made official on the BRFC website/social media accounts is absolutely pathetic. 

We've been a laughing stock on the field for all too long and it seems that's going to continue off the field for a while yet. Sad.

I think the first priority for you guys was to take the decision to dispense with Harvey's services as all indications were you were only going to end up in once place. Looking for the outside the last few weeks of his tenure were not good for anyone including himself.

In terms of Brownlie  it could be viewed with similar scepticism and doubt as the appointment of John Brogan. However  the difference here is that recruitment is not in the brief merely organising & motivating what you already have  which was something clearly missing. I have no real memory of Little as a manager but certainly has the playing credentials that again Harvey lacked, so could be a good pairing.  Brownlie will always be  remembered fondly by the Cowdenbeath faithful for the memorable promotion at Alloa a little under 30 years ago. Sadly it all went wrong  as I think his ambitions & the then Chairman  Gordon McDougall weren't on the same level resulting in his departure and us having one of the worst seasons in living memory as chronicled in the book Black Diamonds & the Blue Brazil.

Is his partnership with Little the package  to save Berwick  were the changes too late time will tell a gamble but IMHO a necessary gamble.

Good luck to all at the club , really hope you pull it off and as I've said before will try get to your home tie all the more appealing now your being steered by a former Cowden legend.

23 minutes ago, OnTheDucketFence said:

An absolutely necessary move, but not one I, or probably the majority of BRFC fans, take great pleasure in. At the end of the day, he's gone - albeit weeks too late. Like a previous poster has said, it should have been after Annan away. 6 goals in half an hour and getting a fan into the changing room post-match - why that didn't majorly set the alarm bells ringing I've no idea. In recent weeks, friends and family of players past and present castigated him on social media, a clear sign that he had completely lost the dressing room - yet nothing was done. However, our chances of getting out of this mess have been raised from none at all, to slim.

What is completely unacceptable, though, is the fact that the rumour mill and P&B 'confirmation' started more than 12 hours before the official club announcement. This is downright embarrassing. How six board members can't keep their mouths shut until it has been made official on the BRFC website/social media accounts is absolutely pathetic. 

We've been a laughing stock on the field for all too long and it seems that's going to continue off the field for a while yet. Sad.

How do you know it was leaked from the Board? Maybe it was Johnny Harvey or one of his chums?