Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

21 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Should you laugh or cry  ?

Screenshot_20190430-193129_Samsung Internet.jpg

Cry I’m afraid. Although cook has came on leaps and bounds this season and I’m happy with the resigning of him. No disrespect but if we are starting the rebuild with the other 3 lads we will be lucky to finish mid table in the lowland league next season. 

On 4/30/2019 at 13:41, Redcar said:

Berwick Mad and Dougster both make plausible arguments, but I'm not wholly convinced that the current board should be so tightly linked to the slow demise of the past 5 years. No wait, hear me out.... 

True, the vessel has been leaking for years but the plug really came out last summer with that pathetic attempted coup and the associated tying of Robbie Horn's hands behind his back. The response to that was - most agreed at the time - a huge relief, with the supporters organisations stepping up to make it happen. It did for Robbie though, and we had a shit team as a result, so again most were happy to get a new manager with a better budget and wait to applaud the results. 

But that is where the criticism of the new Board really begins. Seduced by Harvey's enthusiasm and his record in lower leagues, they went for inexperience. Once again there were only a few raised eyebrows at the time but since then it has been a horror show of inadequacy with a series of crap signings, desperately poor loan signings and gruesome results. The Board's biggest error was to fail to admit they got it wrong, and sack him many weeks ago. 

Now we are reduced to announcing 4 signings for next year in a desperate attempt to show that the players don't all hate the gaffer. 

So, for me, criticism of the Board comes down to one big mistake. I can't really link it to past years or even current overall strategy. Took years to sink, so it will take years to get it right again too, and their desire and ability go change the club culture has barely begun. Just a pity they cocked up big style with the current boss. If we were getting close in games I'd defend them for sticking by their man, but getting relentlessly hammered and not doing anything about whilst hovering over the trapdoor is just baffling. 

We've drifted into this position over the years. The club has suffered from apathy/lethargy and has been happy to just drift along milking the same old people for money over and over again, rather than going out and promoting the club to a new audience and new backers. Somebody said recently that the club didn't know how many of the advertising boards around the ground were paid up for this season (i.e., there were some that had been put up and paid for at one point, but nobody had ever bothered to chase up payment for all of the following years). That's a pretty sad indictment of the board.

While we've been drifting, especially in the last couple of years, other clubs have woken up to what's going on elsewhere (especially around the Lowland and Highland leagues) and got off their backsides and done something about it. They realised that even at our level you need money, and they found a way to bring in more money. At Berwick, though, the old board decided that we should live within our means (rather than calculate how much money we needed and then work out how to go about  raising it). Hence the cut in the playing budget, supported by those in the failed coup. I still don't know what their plan was, apart from cutting costs...

Robbie Horn tried and failed, but he had both hands tied behind his back by the board; Harvey has tried and failed with one hand tied behind his back, although it's also clear that he's just not up to the task at this point in his career. If all the gossip is true, his man management skills appear questionable, and he doesn't have the contacts (or the goodwill) to bring in quality players from good clubs on loan. Even Robbie brought in players from Hibs, Hearts and Rangers. Most of Johnny's loan players have either been bench-warmers or sent back after a few weeks, and as for bringing in Cowden's third choice keeper and paying him more than Brennan... :angry: If the club persists in sticking with Harvey after we go down--I can't see any way we can stay up--I can only see things getting worse in the coming season, and it's going to get harder to raise funds (and get promoted) as things get even more competitive.

Edited by Alpha Gordini

A guy who’s not been in the game for about 15 years and is knocking on 70. Lock the doors folks were are going down.

Is big Jim Rowan Brownlie’s agent, if not he must be the clubs next majority shareholder surely?

Just now, newcastle broon said:

He gave it his best at ww alright 1 win in his spell in charge. 

Good luck wi that one  ?

Add into the mix his senior is someone of 67 years of age that hasn’t managed since 2003. 

Hope it works, but fear the worst. 

37 minutes ago, Disc Potato said:

Astounded. 

Colin Hallett must only be 5/4 for the next manager with these clowns in charge.

Welcome back Yano, give it your best bud. 

No disrespect to the guy, but he was a massively uninspiring appointment at whitehill

When he got us promoted back in the day, he said he would always play a 4-4-2 because at this level players were too thick to play any other formation. Not far wrong I reckon.

5 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

Harvey gone? Wow guys, it's only, like, what, 10 games too late for that?

I'm assuming all this is true rather than just someone's imagination running wild.

But it is what we all wanted, so even if it is way too late it is still welcome news as far as I'm concerned. I said we would be better without a manager at all than keeping Harvey. 

I doubt if there were many people available to take over so I'm not fussed about the names. 2 very different characters and Brownlie will still have contacts in the North East too. 

I welcome the change. Let's see what the official announcement says about length of contract and let's see what happens on Saturday. 

As for Harvey, he has some  very deep wounds to lick and I hope he goes away and learns a thing or two about humility, before getting back into futty and putting this horror show behind him. 

Edited by Redcar

Fair points by Redcar - despite how negative my previous post sounded I do believe this change of gaffer to be a good thing.

Now if we could get a historian and statistician in here, I'd love to know where Harvey's record ranks amongst the worst of all manager to have ever graced the SFL.