Jim Fallon (Dumbarton) September 1995 - November 1996

Played: 50
Won: 2
Drew: 6
Lost: 42

Win rate: 4%

You can stop thinking 8)

Bloody hell. 

Regardless of who or what or whatever, there has to be a change end of. It’s clear as day there is unrest among the dressing room. And even with everything that is at stake it seems to be that the manager is holding grudges or putting his spats with players before our league survival. 

Not playing the like of brown Healy and Adamson, isn’t down to them as players is clearly down to Harvey falling out with them. I’m not Healy’s biggest fan, but without being over critical of rose he’s just a young lad trying his hardest, Healy offers a lot more. Brown probably one of our best players. And Adamson seemed to be our only hope of a goal. Not to mention Brennan who again he has dropped for a goalie that couldn’t get on the bench for cowden and looks a lot worse than Brennan. 

As I’ve said before ofcourse we are certainly not world beaters and the team isn’t filled with quality players, but that team can certainly offer a lot more on the park, the sole reason being that there is huge unrest amongst the dressing room. Doesn’t take a football genius to work it out. 

And it would be lovely if John could come on and just let us know what he is actually thinking, we all know he reads it. It was only last month you sent me a private message on here and invited me as a guest to discuss my concerns regarding the current situation. Well John I think now you will need to invite the whole 400 fans who attended the last home game as guests this Saturday because I’m sure we all share the same concerns now. 

34 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:
  • Puts focus on being hard to break down - it's hardly as though the current 'style' is working.
  • Knows the club
  • Never been relegated - even with Shire which you handily neglected to mention
  • Is a realistic shout
  • Would want the role
  • Can be a temporary option
  • Could be in pretty much immediately

There's plenty I disagree with in your post but even on a point that would usually be sensible, I don't even particularly agree. You say it needs to be a decision based on more than just geeing-up the fans, but change now would be the first indication of the club trying to protect our league status for f**k knows how long. As said earlier on here, doing nothing is still a decision. I think you'd find a more positive atmosphere to back players through 2 tough, critical games with change than without. More importantly, it'd bring with it some semblance of belief. If there's ever a time to make a decision on geeing up the fans, it's now. And the best of it is that it could be a temporary appointment. 

Whether Coughlin could work a miracle is still unlikely, but I reckon we'd have a better chance. As it stands, I'm fully expecting to be relegated by the end of the first leg. That we're even so accepting of the play-off being our fate when actually unconfirmed is symptomatic of just how hopeless the current leadership we're under is. 

I genuinely find it pretty difficult to see things from your viewpoint - anyone who thinks we can sail through as is and remain unscathed is surely on another planet. There is no sign of life and a list as long as a trip to Peterhead as why Harvey isn't the man at this moment. If your argument is no better than 'the players stay the same', you need to reanalyse.

What are you on about "handily neglecting to mention"? Coughlin left 'Shire at the end of 2013-14. It was only at the end of the following season that the relegation playoff began (Montrose-Brora)!

For avoidance of doubt... I'm not saying that Harvey should still be in post, or should remain in post going forward. It would hardly have been astonishing if he'd gone weeks ago, or was still to go. My question is simply whether, if he did go, the widely held view on here that it must be Coughlin is necessarily so clearcut. Clearly the positives (if he was interested) are Coff's availability, kindling maximum enthusiasm among the support and his reputation for building strong defence... Clearly the negatives are that his last spell ended - and I think also began - with runs of poor results, and that to prevail in the playoff means winning not just avoiding defeat, unless you grind-out 2 draws and hit penalties. It just feels like a step is being missed when it's boiled down to "Harvey v Coff".

My point on style gelling with players is simply to recall that precisely this - and his touchline demeanour - got criticised 2yr ago. Granted, if Harvey's lost the players, anyone new should help.

Harvey was going to sink Berwick, I've said it all along. Terrible manager, terrible philosophy and now as a result in charge of a terrible team. 

In my opinion, only one man would've been right for the job and that is of course John Coughlin, as I see now some of you are beginning to realise. Having met the man a few times in real life, I know that he is an extremely shrewd operator. I actually had the pleasure of having Coughlin fix my leaky roof a few years ago and I think some comparisons can be drawn between it and the current Berwick side. Both left in a pitiful state after a combination of under-investment (by my house's previous owners, of course) and shoddy work performed by a procession of Cowboys. 

Needless to say that the roof has not been breached since Coughlin shored it up.

The board's best bet would be to sack Harvey NOW, approach Coughlin and hope that the man is sympathetic enough to take up this less than desirable task. If he accepts, I know that  an accomplished administrator such as himself would salvage this season for Berwick and allow the players and fans alike to put this nightmare behind them.

1 minute ago, Callous_Pint said:

Harvey was going to sink Berwick, I've said it all along. Terrible manager, terrible philosophy and now as a result in charge of a terrible team. 

In my opinion, only one man would've been right for the job and that is of course John Coughlin, as I see now some of you are beginning to realise. Having met the man a few times in real life, I know that he is an extremely shrewd operator. I actually had the pleasure of having Coughlin fix my leaky roof a few years ago and I think some comparisons can be drawn between it and the current Berwick side. Both left in a pitiful state after a combination of under-investment (by my house's previous owners, of course) and shoddy work performed by a procession of Cowboys. 

Needless to say that the roof has not been breached since Coughlin shored it up.

The board's best bet would be to sack Harvey NOW, approach Coughlin and hope that the man is sympathetic enough to take up this less than desirable task. If he accepts, I know that  an accomplished administrator such as himself would salvage this season for Berwick and allow the players and fans alike to put this nightmare behind them.

Hiya John, Hiya pal

7 minutes ago, Callous_Pint said:

The board's best bet would be to sack Harvey NOW, approach Coughlin and hope that the man is sympathetic enough to take up this less than desirable task. If he accepts

Maybe better asking him first, then sack Harvey  ?? 

2 minutes ago, strichener said:

Hiya John, Hiya pal

If I really was John Coughlin, why would I be posting on a football forum for fans? I know for a fact he is a very busy man and has far more important matters to attend to. Perhaps in football great work can go unnoticed, but not in the home repairs industry.

I actually feel sorry for you that you are incapable of realising his superior managerial ability.

Just now, heedthebaa said:

Maybe better asking him first, then sack Harvey  ?? 

Now is not the time to pussyfoot around. Coughlin would appreciate the initiative and assertive nature such an action would demonstrate.

9 hours ago, dougster said:

He’s a super roofer the team is going to love him

stop us feeling blue

like he used to do 

Cause he’ll keep us in Division 2 

too much time on my hands I know 

So when you're near us, Coughlin can you hear us S. O. S.
The love you gave us, nothing else can save us S. O. S.

10 hours ago, Callous_Pint said:

If I really was John Coughlin, why would I be posting on a football forum for fans? I know for a fact he is a very busy man and has far more important matters to attend to. Perhaps in football great work can go unnoticed, but not in the home repairs industry.

I actually feel sorry for you that you are incapable of realising his superior managerial ability.

Hiya John's agent, Hiya pal

There was something in the air that night
Berwick utter shite, John Coughlin
You came in with just two games to play
Saved the day, John Coughlin

10 hours ago, dougster said:
3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

too much time on my hands I know 

and not the only one seemingly 

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There was something in the air that night
Berwick utter shite, John Coughlin
You came in with just two games to play
Saved the day, John Coughlin

1 hour ago, Muzza81 said:

Apologies  for the lack of Abba content... ;)

Apparently the club have decided that the end of season awards won't be held after this Saturday's game against Albion but will instead be held over until after the home leg of the play-off.

Make of that what you will...

Edited by Alpha Gordini

12 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

What are you on about "handily neglecting to mention"? Coughlin left 'Shire at the end of 2013-14. It was only at the end of the following season that the relegation playoff began (Montrose-Brora)!

For avoidance of doubt... I'm not saying that Harvey should still be in post, or should remain in post going forward. It would hardly have been astonishing if he'd gone weeks ago, or was still to go. My question is simply whether, if he did go, the widely held view on here that it must be Coughlin is necessarily so clearcut. Clearly the positives (if he was interested) are Coff's availability, kindling maximum enthusiasm among the support and his reputation for building strong defence... Clearly the negatives are that his last spell ended - and I think also began - with runs of poor results, and that to prevail in the playoff means winning not just avoiding defeat, unless you grind-out 2 draws and hit penalties. It just feels like a step is being missed when it's boiled down to "Harvey v Coff".

My point on style gelling with players is simply to recall that precisely this - and his touchline demeanour - got criticised 2yr ago. Granted, if Harvey's lost the players, anyone new should help.

I'm not saying Coughlin is the absolute perfect man for the job either. If I could have my choice I'd get Big Sam in, but that lacks realism. What I'm offering is a realistic alternative to Harvey who could be brought in as soon as this week. We really don't have the time to carry out an application process and lack the contacts and relationships to go anywhere better. People aren't suggesting him as the perfect choice, but the most realistic and with the attributes to at least give us a slight chance. If there were better available realistically, I'd suggest them. I honestly couldn't care less how we went about getting through the play-offs, provided we were successful, but if it is about winning, a manager who's won 1 in 22 is not the man to take us through em. You agree with that, but can't offer anyone better. We can't magic the perfect man out the air or go ask Bollan for a favour because he's done it before.

I don't mean to sound like as much of a dick as I am being, but the reason it's boiling down to Coughlin or Harvey is because that probably is the choice we have available. The sad reality is that the club yet again remains silent against the noise of the fans. Harvey is going to be in charge again this weekend, and if he doesn't win and somehow still stays around, we're going to the play-offs under a manager that no fan nor player has confidence in. Is it any wonder people want to take a chance on Coughlin, in spite of the negatives you mention? 

I see the argument, certainly - and if so, to continue the ABBA theme...

Coughlin sitting by the phone
He's sat waiting all alone
Berwick, by himself he sits and waits and wonders about us?
It's our dark and dreary night
Harvey has us playing sh*te
Won't you tell me Johnny why cannot we even "park the bus"?

Almost down, and feeling blue...
BTU knows what to do...

John Bell ring, ring!
Why don't you give Coff a call?
Ring, ring!
He isn't that bad after all?
Ring, ring!
He'll master the art of hoofball.
Ring, ring!
Or else lead us to our downfall.

While he sits there alone impatiently...
We are facing demotion, imminently...

John Bell ring, ring!
Why don't you give Coff a call?
Ring, ring!

He can fix the gutters an aw'.

1 minute ago, Alpha Gordini said:

Apparently the club have decided that the end of season awards won't be held after this Saturday's game against Albion but will instead be held over until after the home leg of the play-off.

So they've conceded we'll be in the playoff...?

Unless we pull off the miraculous before then it'll either be the biggest knees-up or the biggest wake in history.

2 hours ago, Alpha Gordini said:

Make of that what you will...

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

So they've conceded we'll be in the playoff...?

Unless we pull off the miraculous before then it'll either be the biggest knees-up or the biggest wake in history.

Thought that was strange myself.

End of April, the mood is low

Any chance of survival? No

Harvey's Berwick are woeful

Everything is glum

Time for prodigal son

Only one man could be that guy,

The man who takes Berwick- hiiiiiggghhhh

Little bit of stinginess

Five men at the back

So direct in attack

Now John Bell has his chance-