Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

Again, you'd have a point if that was a regular occurrence, but in fact Falkirk were the only team who ever missed out on promotion for that reason. So whether or not you agree with the rule (and most didn't which is why it was changed), it is clear that is exactly why they missed out.

Let’s not pretend it was anything other than the SPL’s attempt at keeping a closed shop.

Also led to needless and ridiculous situations like ICT ground sharing at Aberdeen and Gretna at Motherwell.

The season we almost got promoted we were given a choice of build a 4th stand at Broadwood (which we would never need) or ground share at Kilmarnock.

4 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Let’s not pretend it was anything other than the SPL’s attempt at keeping a closed shop.

Also led to needless and ridiculous situations like ICT ground sharing at Aberdeen and Gretna at Motherwell.

The season we almost got promoted we were given a choice of build a 4th stand at Broadwood (which we would never need) or ground share at Kilmarnock.

what he said

Just looking back at previous Berwick managers since I started following the club in the early 80s. 

Only two were poached from us to manage at a higher level, Jim Jeffries and Tom Hendrie. John Coughlin left and later took up the Stenhousemuir job.

Shows what a mammoth task it is to try and find a succesful manager for Berwick. 

Looking at what is available and his previous record at the club, John Coughlin appears to be a good fit right now. Yogi isn't interested for people that put his name forward. 

8 minutes ago, Disc Potato said:

Just looking back at previous Berwick managers since I started following the club in the early 80s. 

Only two were poached from us to manage at a higher level, Jim Jeffries and Tom Hendrie. John Coughlin left and later took up the Stenhousemuir job.

Shows what a mammoth task it is to try and find a succesful manager for Berwick. 

Looking at what is available and his previous record at the club, John Coughlin appears to be a good fit right now. Yogi isn't interested for people that put his name forward. 

As things currently stand, pretty much anybody (or even nobody as @Redcar suggested) would be better than JH right now.

FWIW I don't understand why the club didn't try to attract Jim Jeffries onto the board before he went off to Edinburgh, and why they never took up Pat Nevin's offer to get involved when he spoke at the celebratory dinner a couple of years back. Having one or both as either a director or ambassador would've made the club a more attractive investment to outsiders.

Edited by Alpha Gordini

36 minutes ago, Disc Potato said:

I think big John would be your best option in the short term if you could attract former respected players to support his say big Gary O'Connor  even Pat Scullion. Another option could be Jim Chapman not sure if he has a gig at the moment but plenty experience at this level.

Does anyone actually think that the board are listening to any of this? I sincerely doubt it. The statement made at the talk in summed it up, we are preparing for the lowland league. Now preparing is better than ignoring but that was like writing the clubs obituary.

Does anyone actually think that the board are listening to any of this? I sincerely doubt it. The statement made at the talk in summed it up, we are preparing for the lowland league. Now preparing is better than ignoring but that was like writing the clubs obituary.
Listening no, reading absolutely.
Why would you get rid of your manager with 2 games left plus possible 2 play off, it's still the same players cant bring anyone in, I think you need to hold on for the ride tbh. I think all you would do is rock the boat
It's tough. I said myself I think it's too late now but equally as it stands we're going down without a fight. As pointed out above it appears players are openly against the manager as he takes us into our most important point of the season and without being dramatic maybe even club history. You're therefore sleepwalking towards further disaster. As much as I said the above, if Cough was interested I'd punt on him every single time. He'll at least have a go at making us difficult to beat.

3 minutes ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Why would you get rid of your manager with 2 games left plus possible 2 play off, it's still the same players cant bring anyone in, I think you need to hold on for the ride tbh. I think all you would do is rock the boat

I wonder whether they might bump him if he fails to get something from us on Saturday. That would give any emergency appointment two weeks and one dead-rubber game to get ready for the play-offs.

I don't consider myself reactionary, and I was probably one of the last to come round to the idea that John Brogan really wasn't going to ever turn the corner. However, I'm fairly certain that I  wouldn't want a manager who had took my club on a disastrous run of 7 points  from 66 (or whatever Harvey's exact record is) to have control over playoff games with such importance for the future of my club.

I'd much rather that we found someone with prior links to the club to come back short-term, appeal to the player's pride, and have one last nothing-to-lose 'hoorah' Paul Martin would be the obvious choice if it was us, but there's plenty pf guys with even better stature who have links with Berwick.

4 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

I wonder whether they might bump him if he fails to get something from us on Saturday. That would give any emergency appointment two weeks and one dead-rubber game to get ready for the play-offs.

I don't consider myself reactionary, and I was probably one of the last to come round to the idea that John Brogan really wasn't going to ever turn the corner. However, I'm fairly certain that I  wouldn't want a manager who had took my club on a disastrous run of 7 points  from 66 (or whatever Harvey's exact record is) to have control over playoff games with such importance for the future of my club.

I'd much rather that we found someone with prior links to the club to come back short-term, appeal to the player's pride, and have one last nothing-to-lose 'hoorah' Paul Martin would be the obvious choice if it was us, but there's plenty pf guys with even better stature who have links with Berwick.

The boat ain’t rocking, it’s sinking

doing nothing is also a decision 

47 minutes ago, Chris_the_rover said:

We need someone who can pick the best team, put them in the right formation, and basically just get them organised so that we can (a) create a few decent chances and score a goal or two, and (b) stop so many chances (and goals) for the opposition. Harvey has proved himself to be singulalry incapable of doing this.

His stats don't make for good reading, and almost certainly wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else.

Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 11.51.24.png

Edited by Alpha Gordini

I’m not someone who’d consider themselves as trigger happy either, but I’d certainly take Coughlin even now. We’re getting absolutely nothing from the current manager and it seems like the players have downed tools. Even if it took a 5% chance to a 10% chance, I’d do it. If he succeeded, give him a bonus and build statue. If we still went down, I doubt anyone would be looking back saying ‘if only we’d kept Harvey’.

I still fear that Harvey is being looked at as the man for next season though. Frightening.

It’s the last throw of dice - do nothing and we are fucked- relegated with all the baggage that brings. Taking a chance (it’s not a chance IMO) with someone like say Cough might give team a boost. At minute it very much appears to be fingers in ears saying “la la la”

As Craig said it hasn’t worked - that’s football

4 minutes ago, BerwickMad said:

I’m not someone who’d consider themselves as trigger happy either, but I’d certainly take Coughlin even now. We’re getting absolutely nothing from the current manager and it seems like the players have downed tools. Even if it took a 5% chance to a 10% chance, I’d do it. If he succeeded, give him a bonus and build statue. If we still went down, I doubt anyone would be looking back saying ‘if only we’d kept Harvey’.

I still fear that Harvey is being looked at as the man for next season though. Frightening.

Apart from one or two I don’t think anyone has been in trigger happy mode. We all wanted Harvey to succeed to bring some success on the pitch. The early signs were really good but in the end it hasn’t worked. 

35 minutes ago, Disc Potato said:

Apart from one or two I don’t think anyone has been in trigger happy mode. We all wanted Harvey to succeed to bring some success on the pitch. The early signs were really good but in the end it hasn’t worked. 

I agree with this Craig, we have had our differences but we both agree  on wanting the best for Berwick Rangers.  I certainly take no pleasure in what has happened and calling for him to go but enough is enough.  

As above, Doing nothing is also a decision

Edited by dougster

3 minutes ago, dougster said:

I agree with this Craig, we have had our differences but we both agree  on wanting the best for Berwick Rangers.  I certainly take no pleasure in what has happened and calling for him to go but enough is enough.  

As above, Doing nothing is also a decision

Differences are in the past Doug. This is a critical period for the club we all love.

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t feel for Johnny as I do like him but 100% agree about the need to change the management team.

Its sad it’s got to this point, I was in the sponsors lounge for the cup-tie against East Fife. We went 2-0 down but got back to 2-1 and nearly earned a replay. Everything was so positive despite the defeat, there was a real buzz around the club, I honestly thought the only way was up from that stage. Couldn’t have been more wrong.

52 minutes ago, BerwickMad said:

If by some miracle it’s div 2 then no, if it’s LL then he’d actually put a decent squad together imo (I know this doesn’t really help matters) 

To allow someone else to lift the mood and fire up players and fans