Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

1 minute ago, DutchBorderer said:

Both should be open but expect long queues because the only way we are going to enjoy the day is by downing copious amounts of hard liquor.

Cheers buddy. Will you be there? If so, I'd like you to buy you a beer, win lose or draw; you're easily one of the best posters on this site :)

52 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Perhaps it's because you're closer to him and have more access, but I still don't see it. I don't disagree that his spell is in its infancy, but much like the warning signs being discussed now about Johnny Harvey's ability as a manager, we're seeing them already with John.

I've already mentioned that as far as I remember, John has always been on the side of the departing manager previously. I think he's a sympathist, a guy incapable of making the tough decisions needed to protect or grow a football club and that is no better demonstrated than by his relentless backing of Harvey - who I'm glad to hear we both agree on. We are not here to develop Johnny Harvey - he's here to develop our club. We are not seeing that in the slightest and owe him nothing. So why is he not only still in charge, but the man for next season, and what would it take for John to pull the plug on him? What motivation or urgency is there for Harvey, when he knows he can do absolutely anything and have a job? 

It's not just this season, either. By making Harvey his man going forward, John is basically killing our one chance at getting back into the league. Allowing him to recruit from the Newcastle area is cute, but they've been promised league football and that's going to be stripped away. After, you're gonna be left with kids wondering why they're playing regional Scottish football when they could be playing regional NE football. Much debated, but we know from experience players from Newcastle last about 6 months before getting bored of the travel. Why are we taking such a risk on it?

Worse, he's allowing training to be moved to Berwick once a fortnight to accommodate it. We can barely attract the best of Edinburgh to come down the road once per fortnight, and now it's going to be upped to once a week. If you want to have a crack at winning the league and attract the best players, it's an absolute disaster of an idea, and that's before you even take into account that our direct competition for players once we drop into the Lowland actually increases, while our USP (at least till Edinburgh City) of league status vanishes. 

Moreover, who is actually going to want to sign for Harvey at this point? He's signed players and released them. He's released our best players because he can't manage them. He's playing kids over adults. Even loans he's made he has sent back. He clearly hasn't a clue. He's playing Football Manager while we need a football manager. 

Outside of the inexplicable continued backing of the manager, John has taken a very much one-dimensional approach to his first however many months in charge and it falls in line with the plan he's had for it for about a decade. He's continues to fail to acknowledge or even ask fans what they want (even at a time when we're at our most vocal), and indeed is treating it as though it is simply criticism from troublemakers. It's not. These are wants of fans that he continues to ignore in favour of an entrenched personal vision. My hope when the boardroom battle subsided was that John would take a sensible new inclusive approach. He's failed to do so and has shown no sign of changing that. 

He's currently presiding over our worst team, headed for the worst fate. Nevertheless, he's pressing on with his head in the sand, more arsed about a new stadium he has no money for than our league status or our future. It's a tunnel vision that is risking our future. 

We're not seeing a deliberate 'reset'.  He's getting it just as wrong as those before him, and it's dooming us to a life in the Lowland or (if we can't get our finances in order, the death of the club). Resultantly it doesn't matter if it's 6 months or 6 years into his spell - it needs to be called out. But his biggest failure is none of the above, rather his inability to hear these warnings, treat them as something other than disturbance and realise their validity.  For as long as that continues at the top of our club, we're headed for the scrapheap.

Anyway, I'm kinda hoping that's all I've got to say on it all for the rest of the week. The more I read, write and think about it all, the more fucked off I get with the complete negligence we've seen year on year and continue to see today. 

Indeed. Montrose warranted the criticism they received then just as much as they deserve credit for the turnaround now. For us, it's a clear indication of what is achievable should you choose to switch to a display of ambition over the complacency a willingness to just exist induces. I've said it on here previously, but we quickly settled in to become the 'new Montrose'. All the wind-ups from back in the day aside, you deserve to be where you're at and we absolutely deserve to be where we are. 

Eric got criticised because he never actually asked a question, not because he asked difficult questions.

I too am growing tired of commenting on this crock of shit. But somehow I feel the need....! 

I must add though that any notion I am 'close' to John Bell is way off the mark. I have seen him probably once in 3 years and that was at the talk-in a few weeks ago. I have also exchanged messages with him a few times, but mostly that was last year over a personal issue I had with a club volunteer. I do have respect for JB, and our opinions on him differ really (IMO) just because of time. John isn't even the Chairman yet! I agree he should have acted over Harvey a few weeks ago, but I guess he will have looked at other options, saw there weren't many, crossed his fingers and backed his man. He was wrong and it has blown up in his face in a spectacular fashion. 

Also, my understanding is that the North East players would train in the North East, coming up to a joint session in Edinburgh or berwick once a fortnight. That is very different to the requirement to train once or twice a week in Edinburgh that Rutherford and Mcdonald failed to cope with. 

Edited by Redcar

3 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

Cheers buddy. Will you be there? If so, I'd like you to buy you a beer, win lose or draw; you're easily one of the best posters on this site :)

I really appreciate your praise, even if I'm still not sure whether you actually exist! The 27th was quite possibly the worst date for this match to be played for me (Dutch national day, my birthday on the 25th and resulting family obligations), so I can't be around; rather, it would seem my next day in the Shielfield sun will sadly be on the 18th of May....

Do the Club not get the running joke that is Harvey talking bollox after every game...the plug should have been pulled on his ego months ago. Grief Eric was yanked long ago but we persist in making more of a fool of ourselves with the ego that is JH and his useless patter. Clueless upstairs and in the dugout. As others have groaned he has no ability to put a stout defensive unit together when it's needed. A turgid 0-0 or a fight for your lives 1-1 when it matters. It's a pasting from everyone. No unlucky 1-2 or a last gasp defeat. There is not 90 minutes in any of them. A decent half here or there,truly shocking. There is, simply put, no football direction at the club.
2 hopes left;
No hope & Bob

From what I saw yesterday, this is spot on. I went to watch the Cowdenbeath v EK playoffs out of intrigue a few years ago (being from EK) and the one thing Cowdenbeath were able to do was defend, not particularly well, but they could avoid conceding heavily.

This BR team, on the other hand, are paper thin and pose no danger up top to make up for it. Your only hope is that EK/Cove aren’t as good as they appear to be against the pub teams in the leagues below, but I’ve genuinely never seen such a poor side so it’s hard to tell. Only hope is to sit deep and try to counter, but even at that there was never a moment when u looked like scoring.

Even when we made a total arse of it at the back and gave one of ur players about 2 weeks to take a shot he still sent it wide. Currie was completely untested yday.

Regardless, best of luck

36 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

Not sure if this is the place given the serious nature of the thread, but will chance my arm anyway.

What's the script with drink at Shielfield nowadays? Is the Black and Gold club open, or the bar in the Main Stand? There's likely to be a quite a few thirsty Coatbridge folks in the area on Saturday.

Both. 

52 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

It was Orru, not Barr, who was booked according to my stats.

Definitely Orru, for a wee clip on a heel as we counter attacked. Not that a booking would mean anyone misses next week's game; does Harvey not even know the rules?!

Some statistics. Gretna matched not included due to very weak opponents.

Maybe now is a good time to change. Last two managers results on games 3 and 4. Havent got exact date for John Coughlin, Colin Cameron or Ian Little but would be happy for someone to add their stats. Will be interesting to see results.

Johnny Harvey
Elgin City 2 Berwick Rangers 4
Berwick Rangers 2 Albion Rovers 0

Robbie Horn
Stenhousemuir 3 Berwick Rangers 0
Peterhead 0  Berwick Rangers 2

Last time I remember club being in such a state was Gordon Grant era. Remember that Match at Tannadice in 92 which was potentially our last- a few p and b regulars in this pic

IMG_0275.jpg

12 minutes ago, David W said:

Definitely Orru, for a wee clip on a heel as we counter attacked. Not that a booking would mean anyone misses next week's game; does Harvey not even know the rules?!

you're right, think Barr was spoken to, Goodwillie was unlucky to be booke

7 minutes ago, marty_j said:

Last time I remember club being in such a state was Gordon Grant era. Remember that Match at Tannadice in 92 which was potentially our last- a few p and b regulars in this pic

IMG_0275.jpg

Pikey still wears that jacket 

12 minutes ago, marty_j said:

IMG_0275.jpg

Me and my mate were at that game played on a Sunday afternoon?

Even although you got chucked out of Sheilfield and were on the verge of going bust you probably still had a better team on the park then that you do now.

Me and my mate were at that game played on a Sunday afternoon?
Even although you got chucked out of Sheilfield and were on the verge of going bust you probably still had a better team on the park then that you do now.

Aye it was a Sunday we got spanked 6-0 Victor Ferryra stared for Utd

Everyone at the club will be hurting. Players, fans, board and the gaffer. However, there seems to be no fight in the team & for that alone Johnny Harvey should put his own ambition aside and say hands up I cannot do it and walk. Cowden were lucky that Fox and Billy Brown did that which galvanised us and helped us battle over the line in the last 2 play offs.  The board need to gamble and get someone in who could organise a team and get them doing the basics. The players will need to run through walls and I'm sure they will under a new gaffer for the play offs. Johnny Harvey needs to take a step back as it cannot be nice to hear the shouts, etc & from his interviews he doesn't look to be in a good place. 

14 hours ago, The Rangers Guy said:

Does any Berwick fan believe they can stay up if they finish bottom? East Kilbride look a good team and Cove seem like they have good owners with finance backing the club it would be a shame if Berwick were to lose there league status but going on last two with Cowdenbeath no one gave them a chance and they done it so maybe the players would raise there game.

Critically though  in both seasons Cowdenbeath  made managerial changes  resulting in improved morale, belief & organisation translating in far better performances on the pitch becoming hard to beat. Even with that both finals were squeaky bum time and could have gone either way on both occasions.

On the other hand Berwick have stuck to plan A hence why I worry for them the definition of insanity is to continue to do the same things in the same way and expect  and expect a different outcome. IMO if they are to stay up there is one thing they need to do and ASAP

48 minutes ago, sammyreidloyal said:

And big Duncan Ferguson methinks

Ferguson scored twice, looked like he got a hat-trick but the third was given as a Willie Garner own goal.

Derek Neilson (RIP)
Mark Cass
Jackie O'Donnell (Asst Manager?)
Graeme Davidson (The Kaiser)
Willie Garner (must have been about 50 at the time, and the best part of 20 stone)
Gordon Leitch (The Human Lawnmower)
Ralph Callachan (player manager)
Brian Thorpe
Kevin Todd (one of the best strikers in the league at that time)
Martin Neil (signed by Dundee United a couple of months later)
Steve Bickmore (I think we actually paid a transfer fee for him)

Justin McGovern
Tommy Graham (too good to be on the bench)

The game was 1 day before a creditors meeting to decide the fate of the club, and 2 days before the 25th anniversary of the 1-0 Rangers match from 1967.

Ferguson scored twice, looked like he got a hat-trick but the third was given as a Willie Garner own goal.
Derek Neilson (RIP)
Mark Cass
Jackie O'Donnell (Asst Manager?)
Graeme Davidson (The Kaiser)
Willie Garner (must have been about 50 at the time, and the best part of 20 stone)
Gordon Leitch (The Human Lawnmower)
Ralph Callachan (player manager)
Brian Thorpe
Kevin Todd (one of the best strikers in the league at that time)
Martin Neil (signed by Dundee United a couple of months later)
Steve Bickmore (I think we actually paid a transfer fee for him)
Justin McGovern
Tommy Graham (too good to be on the bench)
The game was 1 day before a creditors meeting to decide the fate of the club, and 2 days before the 25th anniversary of the 1-0 Rangers match from 1967.

What a team