Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

Saw a bunch of old boys in club suits arriving today and heading into reception. Was like the cast of last of the summer wine.

Could be wide of the mark here but if they are directors or in charge of your strategic direction it’s not difficult to see why you are in such a mess.
To be fair, I really wanted to use a glass houses and stones response. Equally fair play, from your website, you seem to have been able to recruit a relatively young group of volunteers for your board, with wide ranging and relevant skills. [emoji122][emoji122] All recognised here, if perhaps too late. Not a criticism; just different days.

Shocking performance so he doesn’t even bother talking about it. Again, the players catch the blame for their performance, no blame on himself. 

For a manager to say he’s lost for words in berwicks position is a worrying thing to come out with. 

As a fan who has watched his team finish as club 42 in consecutive seasons I can understand how Berwick fans are feeling the, frustrations & anguish it is truly horrible  that said mathematically your fate in terms of finishing in 10th slot  is not confirmed. I do however fear for the trajectory you are on.

Eight goals shipped past two weeks fighting for your lives  not one plater booked over that time & then the somewhat disturbing/uncomfortable post match interview last Saturday. In football or any other if it is not working on the coal face those in overall charge have to intervene, the key to that in my experience the timing of that intervention is key to the end objective. From the outside my opinion is your Exec need to act immediately before it is too late and organise for the paly offs is that is what you will face.

My thoughts would be put JH on "Gardening Leave" & go knock someone like John Coughlin's door  I am sure John has sufficient love for the club that he would do a job on an interim basis, also bring in some BR legends such as Gary O'Conner for example to assist, motivate & galvanise the squad which I suspect will be pretty war weary .

As I say we have been in a similar indeed worse position but I would argue better prepared through making tough but positive intervention, as a result scraping survival & thus far making further progress.

In essence in my honest opinion if you persist with your current manager I do not think season 2019/20  you will be an SPFL League 2 club. I am very happy to be wrong on this and eat huge potions of humble pie if proved wrong but just my honest view. I do  genuinely  hope Berwick can  pull it off or for that Matter Albion Rovers if they find themselves in last spot as both clubs I have time for and away days I enjoy.

Think it's interesting that this is the second 180 degree turn over the span of two weeks regarding the fans; they were a good bunch away at Annan, the devil's spawn at home v. QP, and now they deserve much better at Clyde. Perhaps it is better if we abolish the post-match interviews for the rest of the season.

Shocking performance so he doesn’t even bother talking about it. Again, the players catch the blame for their performance, no blame on himself. 
For a manager to say he’s lost for words in berwicks position is a worrying thing to come out with. 
I do believe the worry is more widespread than syntax of our managers recent interview. Well done today and your wisdom on The Berwick Thread is appreciated.

Think it's interesting that this is the second 180 degree turn over the span of two weeks regarding the fans; they were a good bunch away at Annan, the devil's spawn at home v. QP, and now they deserve much better at Clyde. Perhaps it is better if we abolish the post-match interviews for the rest of the season.

Kind of feel sorry for him

Interviewer even taking sympathy by no asking about today's game

Seems like too many nice guys at the club, like I said earlier don't even like Berwick but it's got me seething how you've just sort of let this happen all these months. Sort of like seeing someone you know getting the pish ripped out them in a relationship

Aye indeed, damned if he did, damned if he didn't mind. That said, taking the 5th today might have been an idea.

7 minutes ago, dougster said:

No Johnny, you cant keep saying this mate, you picked the wrong team, again! Its so obvious to everyone but you 

Again & observation here it is very clear he has been given a brief in terms  what to say not to sat following last week , but whay do this at all on the back of another thrashing not good for anyone surely. Sometimes less is more.

This is a somewhat difficult post to write as I'm very conscious that all I've done in the past few weeks is perceived as spreading 'negativity' by the club's main man and mathematically, it isn't over yet. It might also annoy many people who I respect, but as far as I'm concerned though today was the nail in a coffin that's more metal than wood, and it's time to share truths. Not in the wish of causing more issues, but in the hope that it might help us grab the steering wheel and put us on a path that isn't simply a willing death.
Before that, it's worth first pointing out that though nevertheless serving as another damning reminder as to where we're headed, today represents absolutely no surprise. I said last week that there's every possibility we may sit 5 points off Albion this evening and here we are. It wasn't a case of whether we might get something, but whether Albion might. I'm not claiming to be an oracle, but it was an injection of reality as well as a sad reflection of what we have become. And it's happened. 
For the very reason of 'the good of the club', I've been refraining from replying to Redcar on a post about our future under new leadership until our fate was settled. It's now all but a formality and I think in any case, there's no better time to call our direction out. Absolutely nothing personal to those who believe it but it's too late to 'positive our way through it' and as much as I hate to admit it, we've even left it too late to change manager,  which would likely do more harm than good at this point.
Our demise has not occurred overnight and nor can it be halted as immediately Whether it could be limited is a completely different matter. I've spoken at length on here about that in recent weeks, and I think what we've seen is an absolute failure - not just to do so, but to even attempt to. Often those who know what's going on in the club speak on here in an almost 'code', where we act like we don't know what's happening, but really we do. Those who have those links all know that Harvey was John Bell's man (and he's admitted as much), we know that it's still his man now, and we it looks as though even if we get cunted 16-0 in the play-offs, it's his man next season. 
That is a fucking atrocity and a clear indication that our decline is far from over. Our manager has now gone 1 win in 22 games. He has released our top scorer and best player. He let our captain - a lad who scored a goal that has almost guaranteed to doom us this afternoon, leave to our direct relegation rivals. He's also claimed it's not his squad, despite having been given the backing to bring in about 15 new faces. And yet, far from being questioned, he's receiving a now fortnightly vote of confidence. 
Again, this is nothing personal, but for me those who close to our new chairman are absolutely guilty of hypocrisy. Though the majority of my time as a fan has been absolutely shite, I can't think of one manager who could get away with that record. That's not to say they haven't questioned Harvey, but rather question the sudden reluctance to hold the same position they have held accountable for such a decision previously, as they are now.
Last week I suggested there was no clear leadership and that it was as though the blanket thrown over the current structure was there more to try allow a clean slate at leadership level no matter the consequence, the worst of which it seems we're accepting of. This was a call-to-action to the club to introduce clear accountability. Why is this hidden to the majority? Our new chairman, who has (to put it honestly/bluntly) previously embarrassed himself on here plenty before and still obsesses over P&B to the point he did it once more this week. He clearly can't be blind to fan views, so what's stopping him?
To me, it seems that though he isn't blind, he's certainly ignorant of them. When something becomes the view of the majority (I think it's fair to say Harvey being sacked previously is a fine example), the indication is that he sees it as 'troublemaking' or truanting. That he thinks you simply can't be a fan if you don't fall in line. Worse, my guess (and this is absolutely an assumption) is that as his good friends, those who he is close to, are still in his ear telling him he's doing a good job. This whilst we sleepwalk to a fate even worse than relegation and in his mind justifying continued delusion. 
I respect Redcar a shit-ton (despite our seemingly never-ending clashes), but to come back to the post I mentioned above, I find it genuinely difficult to understand how you think this board don't lack ambition. Under new leadership the definition changes slightly, but it moves to a potentially completely unviable new stadium that kids can train on, while still neglecting what fans want - to support a successful Berwick Rangers. Success may have many definitions but we're a football club. It starts on the pitch and should end there. 
It's tough being shite eh.....I remember it fondly a few years ago.

To start a season with Ally Adams as our No1 and end it with a worse goalkeeper is a skill in its own. 

John Bell is a major asset as a director of Berwick Rangers but what has become clear over the last few weeks is he certainly isn’t the right person to  be our next chairman.

Were fucked good and proper. Spare me the get behind us lark, PLEASE.  The support have made their feelings known, it is them that own the club, why is nobody on the board listening? 

Anyway it’s too late now, the club has become worthless and should be cheap for any new owner wishing to takeover. 

BERWICK RANGERS RIP

42 minutes ago, A Believer said:

To be fair, I really wanted to use a glass houses and stones response. Equally fair play, from your website, you seem to have been able to recruit a relatively young group of volunteers for your board, with wide ranging and relevant skills. emoji122.pngemoji122.png All recognised here, if perhaps too late. Not a criticism; just different days.

I find the criticism of club officials at this level quite hard to take. They generally all are passionate supporters of their clubs and work hard for no financial reward. I’m sure those at Berwick are no exception. What is probably missing in many cases is some drive and determination to improve and make a difference and have the ability to make things happen. To be fair, those type of people are few and far between. Thankfully, we’ve succeeded in bringing in one or two and it’s making a difference. We launched a youth initiative (Project Braver) which guaranteed young players further education along with their football and I know for a fact that we’ve attracted at least a couple of players who were offered terms at teams much higher than us. Our U19s seem to have gone from basket cases to being pretty decent. I note that they are second in the U19 league behind Celtic. 

Maybe your current predicament could spark something in the club to change and innovate. We were nearly where you are now and it probably forced a change at Clyde. That said, we’ve done nothing yet so time will tell. 

All the best. 

Cowden got away with it two years on the trot by punting the clown in charge in time to make the team hard to beat .  Any eejit should be able to organise a unit to be  hard to beat. This is the minimum required going into the play offs. Berwick have failed to do this. If they survive it will  be by luck and not by design. Best of luck BRFC.  Next season it could be us or Albion. 

26 minutes ago, sydney said:

I find the criticism of club officials at this level quite hard to take. They generally all are passionate supporters of their clubs and work hard for no financial reward. I’m sure those at Berwick are no exception. What is probably missing in many cases is some drive and determination to improve and make a difference and have the ability to make things happen. To be fair, those type of people are few and far between. Thankfully, we’ve succeeded in bringing in one or two and it’s making a difference. We launched a youth initiative (Project Braver) which guaranteed young players further education along with their football and I know for a fact that we’ve attracted at least a couple of players who were offered terms at teams much higher than us. Our U19s seem to have gone from basket cases to being pretty decent. I note that they are second in the U19 league behind Celtic. 

Maybe your current predicament could spark something in the club to change and innovate. We were nearly where you are now and it probably forced a change at Clyde. That said, we’ve done nothing yet so time will tell. 

All the best. 

That point about our U19s btw is clearly bollox! The supposedly currently league table on the FlashScores app appears to be about 4 years old ! Still, the point about trying something different to attract players still applies. 

Does any Berwick fan believe they can stay up if they finish bottom? East Kilbride look a good team and Cove seem like they have good owners with finance backing the club it would be a shame if Berwick were to lose there league status but going on last two with Cowdenbeath no one gave them a chance and they done it so maybe the players would raise there game.

Edited by The Rangers Guy