Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

This is a somewhat difficult post to write as I'm very conscious that all I've done in the past few weeks is perceived as spreading 'negativity' by the club's main man and mathematically, it isn't over yet. It might also annoy many people who I respect, but as far as I'm concerned though today was the nail in a coffin that's more metal than wood, and it's time to share truths. Not in the wish of causing more issues, but in the hope that it might help us grab the steering wheel and put us on a path that isn't simply a willing death.

Before that, it's worth first pointing out that though nevertheless serving as another damning reminder as to where we're headed, today represents absolutely no surprise. I said last week that there's every possibility we may sit 5 points off Albion this evening and here we are. It wasn't a case of whether we might get something, but whether Albion might. I'm not claiming to be an oracle, but it was an injection of reality as well as a sad reflection of what we have become. And it's happened. 

For the very reason of 'the good of the club', I've been refraining from replying to Redcar on a post about our future under new leadership until our fate was settled. It's now all but a formality and I think in any case, there's no better time to call our direction out. Absolutely nothing personal to those who believe it but it's too late to 'positive our way through it' and as much as I hate to admit it, we've even left it too late to change manager,  which would likely do more harm than good at this point.

Our demise has not occurred overnight and nor can it be halted as immediately Whether it could be limited is a completely different matter. I've spoken at length on here about that in recent weeks, and I think what we've seen is an absolute failure - not just to do so, but to even attempt to. Often those who know what's going on in the club speak on here in an almost 'code', where we act like we don't know what's happening, but really we do. Those who have those links all know that Harvey was John Bell's man (and he's admitted as much), we know that it's still his man now, and we it looks as though even if we get cunted 16-0 in the play-offs, it's his man next season. 

That is a fucking atrocity and a clear indication that our decline is far from over. Our manager has now gone 1 win in 22 games. He has released our top scorer and best player. He let our captain - a lad who scored a goal that has almost guaranteed to doom us this afternoon, leave to our direct relegation rivals. He's also claimed it's not his squad, despite having been given the backing to bring in about 15 new faces. And yet, far from being questioned, he's receiving a now fortnightly vote of confidence. 

Again, this is nothing personal, but for me those who close to our new chairman are absolutely guilty of hypocrisy. Though the majority of my time as a fan has been absolutely shite, I can't think of one manager who could get away with that record. That's not to say they haven't questioned Harvey, but rather question the sudden reluctance to hold the same position they have held accountable for such a decision previously, as they are now.

Last week I suggested there was no clear leadership and that it was as though the blanket thrown over the current structure was there more to try allow a clean slate at leadership level no matter the consequence, the worst of which it seems we're accepting of. This was a call-to-action to the club to introduce clear accountability. Why is this hidden to the majority? Our new chairman, who has (to put it honestly/bluntly) previously embarrassed himself on here plenty before and still obsesses over P&B to the point he did it once more this week. He clearly can't be blind to fan views, so what's stopping him?

To me, it seems that though he isn't blind, he's certainly ignorant of them. When something becomes the view of the majority (I think it's fair to say Harvey being sacked previously is a fine example), the indication is that he sees it as 'troublemaking' or truanting. That he thinks you simply can't be a fan if you don't fall in line. Worse, my guess (and this is absolutely an assumption) is that as his good friends, those who he is close to, are still in his ear telling him he's doing a good job. This whilst we sleepwalk to a fate even worse than relegation and in his mind justifying continued delusion. 

I respect Redcar a shit-ton (despite our seemingly never-ending clashes), but to come back to the post I mentioned above, I find it genuinely difficult to understand how you think this board don't lack ambition. Under new leadership the definition changes slightly, but it moves to a potentially completely unviable new stadium that kids can train on, while still neglecting what fans want - to support a successful Berwick Rangers. Success may have many definitions but we're a football club. It starts on the pitch and should end there. 

This is a somewhat difficult post to write as I'm very conscious that all I've done in the past few weeks is perceived as spreading 'negativity' by the club's main man and mathematically, it isn't over yet. It might also annoy many people who I respect, but as far as I'm concerned though today was the nail in a coffin that's more metal than wood, and it's time to share truths. Not in the wish of causing more issues, but in the hope that it might help us grab the steering wheel and put us on a path that isn't simply a willing death.
Before that, it's worth first pointing out that though nevertheless serving as another damning reminder as to where we're headed, today represents absolutely no surprise. I said last week that there's every possibility we may sit 5 points off Albion this evening and here we are. It wasn't a case of whether we might get something, but whether Albion might. I'm not claiming to be an oracle, but it was an injection of reality as well as a sad reflection of what we have become. And it's happened. 
For the very reason of 'the good of the club', I've been refraining from replying to Redcar on a post about our future under new leadership until our fate was settled. It's now all but a formality and I think in any case, there's no better time to call our direction out. Absolutely nothing personal to those who believe it but it's too late to 'positive our way through it' and as much as I hate to admit it, we've even left it too late to change manager,  which would likely do more harm than good at this point.
Our demise has not occurred overnight and nor can it be halted as immediately Whether it could be limited is a completely different matter. I've spoken at length on here about that in recent weeks, and I think what we've seen is an absolute failure - not just to do so, but to even attempt to. Often those who know what's going on in the club speak on here in an almost 'code', where we act like we don't know what's happening, but really we do. Those who have those links all know that Harvey was John Bell's man (and he's admitted as much), we know that it's still his man now, and we it looks as though even if we get cunted 16-0 in the play-offs, it's his man next season. 
That is a fucking atrocity and a clear indication that our decline is far from over. Our manager has now gone 1 win in 22 games. He has released our top scorer and best player. He let our captain - a lad who scored a goal that has almost guaranteed to doom us this afternoon, leave to our direct relegation rivals. He's also claimed it's not his squad, despite having been given the backing to bring in about 15 new faces. And yet, far from being questioned, he's receiving a now fortnightly vote of confidence. 
Again, this is nothing personal, but for me those who close to our new chairman are absolutely guilty of hypocrisy. Though the majority of my time as a fan has been absolutely shite, I can't think of one manager who could get away with that record. That's not to say they haven't questioned Harvey, but rather question the sudden reluctance to hold the same position they have held accountable for such a decision previously, as they are now.
Last week I suggested there was no clear leadership and that it was as though the blanket thrown over the current structure was there more to try allow a clean slate at leadership level no matter the consequence, the worst of which it seems we're accepting of. This was a call-to-action to the club to introduce clear accountability. Why is this hidden to the majority? Our new chairman, who has (to put it honestly/bluntly) previously embarrassed himself on here plenty before and still obsesses over P&B to the point he did it once more this week. He clearly can't be blind to fan views, so what's stopping him?
To me, it seems that though he isn't blind, he's certainly ignorant of them. When something becomes the view of the majority (I think it's fair to say Harvey being sacked previously is a fine example), the indication is that he sees it as 'troublemaking' or truanting. That he thinks you simply can't be a fan if you don't fall in line. Worse, my guess (and this is absolutely an assumption) is that as his good friends, those who he is close to, are still in his ear telling him he's doing a good job. This whilst we sleepwalk to a fate even worse than relegation and in his mind justifying continued delusion. 
I respect Redcar a shit-ton (despite our seemingly never-ending clashes), but to come back to the post I mentioned above, I find it genuinely difficult to understand how you think this board don't lack ambition. Under new leadership the definition changes slightly, but it moves to a potentially completely unviable new stadium that kids can train on, while still neglecting what fans want - to support a successful Berwick Rangers. Success may have many definitions but we're a football club. It starts on the pitch and should end there. 

Good post Dale

What a fucking mess.

A truly sorry state of affairs. If nothing changes this weekend then it’s an acceptance of the shit storm that follows relegation.

Sleepwalking sums it up nicely

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
The last bastion of the simpleton.

The "stalker" patter was worn out years ago, accept the fact you're an absolute no mark who backed the wrong horse and now you're getting your just desserts.
Enjoy ya helmet.
Obsessed stalker.

Saw a bunch of old boys in club suits arriving today and heading into reception. Was like the cast of last of the summer wine.

Could be wide of the mark here but if they are directors or in charge of your strategic direction it’s not difficult to see why you are in such a mess.

25 minutes ago, marty_j said:

I respect Redcar a shit-ton (despite our seemingly never-ending clashes), but to come back to the post I mentioned above, I find it genuinely difficult to understand how you think this board don't lack ambition.

Simply because, Dale, I see this Board - or at least John Bell's period in charge - is in its infancy. Just over half a season. 

Some will see it as just another manifestation of the same thing that has seen us fizzle out over a period of years, but I actually think JB represents something different to what we've had in the past. More pragmatic, but also more ideas for change. 

Obviously, the shit-fest that we've witnessed on the pitch this season makes it a very difficult argument for me to make, but I do think the most recent Boardroom changes came at least a season too late. 

Some astute folk weren't impressed with Johnny Harvey's appointment, but I was OK with it at the time, and nobody could have predicted just how bad his record would be, given the restrictions being lifted on the cheque book compared to poor old Robbie Horn. 

Harvey is indeed John Bell's man and I understand him backing him to some extent, but that extent came to an end after the feeble Edinburgh City home game. He should have gone after that and I don't know how hard JB searched for a replacement, but I do know that like every other fan, he certainly thought about it. 

Bad decision to back him. Harvey is an unmitigated disaster and the recent displays would see us lose to some pub teams. The Chairman's retention of him was wrong, and I can't defend that. 

As an aside, I think the win over Peterhead was potentially the worst result of our season. It gave people - the Chairman elect among them - the notion that there was some life in this dreadful team, and bought Harvey a few more weeks that proved to be unbelievably shite. 

(Am I blocked yet?)