Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

A talk in with disgruntled fans is being organised for Wednesday. I’m out of town and even if I was here I wouldn’t be attending.

This reeks of the board not having a clue on how to move forward. As Berwick Mad asks, who is running the club now? I’ve been very supportive of the board and helped where possible but they are going to carry responsibility for this head on car crash.  

GET YOUR HEADS TOGETHER AND SORT THIS, IT WONT SORT ITSELF THEY WAY THINGS ARE. 

Harveys family calling lifelong fans for being negative was the final straw for me after that interview.

Im starting to get really annoyed. 

Start at a low point, have a failed Boardroom coup, cut the budget, replace the manager, appoint a rookie, ditch experienced players, sign some kids from lower leagues, plod on during worst run of results ever. 

Bloody negative fans. Got so much to answer for. 

As DP says, this is the ultimate car crash of a season.  But hey, it ain't over yet. 

11 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

I'm not too well-versed in the minutiae of the club's finances - could it be we simply don't have the money to relieve Harvey of his duties?

3 months wages on termination. Wouldn’t cost anymore than 2k for whole coaching staff.  

One final point then I’m off.

Berwick Rangers FC is now a fan owned club. I would say about 80% of the supporters at Saturday’s match was wanting change, so why aren’t the fans views being considered. People in the boardroom campaigned hard for this and when they’ve got into power, totally ignored their own. 

Maybe the board have a cunning plan (which they got from Baldrick)... We get relegated, so we get the parachute payment, which is enough to pay off JH and his pals, and get someone half-decent in.  A few quid left in the bank to invest in better players too. Then rely on the loyalty of the loooooooooooong-suffering supporters to keep showing up every week and part with their hard-earned cash. And that gets us back into SPFL2 the following year... in theory...

But I really, really hope that's not their plan!

At any other league club JH would have been given his marching orders by now. Taking the fan into the dressing room was the last straw for me, so to have a go at the fans (which therefore includes the guy he took into the changing room) the following week and accuse them of negativity just beggars belief...

Edited by Alpha Gordini
Removing figure for parachute payment.

This all sounds very conspiracist, but things are genuinely beginning to feel sordid. Far from a desperate effort to rescue this situation, it feels more like we're accepting our fate.

I may be mistaken, but during the whole Clyde/Albion saga, it has felt as though we wanted nothing to do with it.

John made it pretty clear at his talk in that Harvey is his man for next season. Since, we've been absolutely twatted by Annan and shown nothing against a QP side with nothing to play for and fielding kids making their debut.

Still, Harvey appears untouchable. The club continues to avoid communicating to the point that it's unclear who holds the power. To me, it's an excuse. It's an opaque approach designed to make all appear void of any accountability and allow for a clean slate next season.

I admire Harvey's determination to get fans on side, but if his solution is to get the fans in to chat about a promotion push next season, there's no point. It isn't him the fans need to hear from though.

Now more than ever Berwick Rangers needs strong leadership. Boardroom battles may be gone but the complacency and piss weak leadership very much remains. No one is making a tough decision or having a difficult conversation and it's as though no one is even thinking about it either.

I desperately want Berwick to succeed (for once). It appears to me that, yet again, success on the park is going to fall by the wayside, and with it the desires of fans. As it stands, I feel like we're not just going down, we're going down and we're settling there.

Ambition is something that every club should have at its core. The ambitions of our board may evolve slightly under John, but it's becoming increasingly obvious that my definition of ambition still completely differs, with a competitive, even successful football team seemingly of no importance. For as long as that continues I'll see Berwick games as I have this season. A day out on the piss with mates and little more. That's a sad situation.

Seen a QP tweet today to say it’s the first time since 2015 they have beaten a team in all 4 games in 1 season, that team was Arbroath, so hey who knows we might be winning league 1 in a couple seasons. 

59 minutes ago, Fergie1 said:

Seen a QP tweet today to say it’s the first time since 2015 they have beaten a team in all 4 games in 1 season, that team was Arbroath, so hey who knows we might be winning league 1 in a couple seasons. 

Look how Montrose are doing now 

I really thought there would have been more of an outcry from Berwick about Albion gaining from our mistake.

I hope you continue your poor run on Saturday, then after that - just remember - you beat Peterhead recently, so you can certainly beat EKFC or Cove Rangers.

Good luck.

I still don't really buy that the current board - and John in particular - are under ambitious. I think they are pragmatic when it comes to finances as the truth is that without a wealthy backer we can't afford the Handlings and the McAllisters and plenty of others that make our rivals tick. (No reason at all though why we can't compete with Beath/Stirling/QP/Annan) 

The appointment of Harvey wasn't met with incredulous criticism. A few concerns about his experience, yes, but the major  disquiet only grew with hindsight.  I thought he would be a great gaffer and I also understand that there were very few applicants. 

Never did I expect we would be in this position just like I never expected Colin Cameron to spend his latter months leaning impassively on the dugout, or that John Coughlin could regularly put out a team with a really piss poor defence. 

However, the fan criticism that has developed since Christmas is absolutely valid. Harvey's tenure has been disastrous and his squad of players, despite many many changes, is the worst we've ever had. To continue to watch utterly abject displays as we've seen in the last 3 games and still not make a backroom change is the most valid criticism of them all. If we were losing by the odd goal, if we were hitting crossbars or coming up against inspired keepers, if we were on top for a while in these defeats, then you could excuse the Board for sticking with their man and hoping our luck will change. But it isn't like that. We continue to get deservedly thrashed and it is actually very possible that we will not get another SPFL point - ever. In terms of quality, we are miles behind everyone else now. 

Seems to me that the Board will be hurting as much as anyone, and are putting their faith in a return to fitness of a talismanic Ousy See. People want them to gamble - and if anyone experienced can be coaxed down to Shielfield for the last few weeks then they should do it. But the gamble was actually made when Harvey was appointed and failed to sign anyone any good in January. 

So, a bit of sympathy for the Board from me, but at the end of the season they are just as accountable as the Manager. 

14 minutes ago, clyde4ever said:

I really thought there would have been more of an outcry from Berwick about Albion gaining from our mistake.

I hope you continue your poor run on Saturday, then after that - just remember - you beat Peterhead recently, so you can certainly beat EKFC or Cove Rangers.

Good luck.

They wanted nothing to do with an appeal . In the end after persuasion they sent a supporting statement for Clyde. Through a good friend I sent them advice from a lawyer that also helped Clyde. It wasn’t to be. 

I still don't really buy that the current board - and John in particular - are under ambitious. I think they are pragmatic when it comes to finances as the truth is that without a wealthy backer we can't afford the Handlings and the McAllisters and plenty of others that make our rivals tick. (No reason at all though why we can't compete with Beath/Stirling/QP/Annan) 
The appointment of Harvey wasn't met with incredulous criticism. A few concerns about his experience, yes, but the major  disquiet only grew with hindsight.  I thought he would be a great gaffer and I also understand that there were very few applicants. 
Never did I expect we would be in this position just like I never expected Colin Cameron to spend his latter months leaning impassively on the dugout, or that John Coughlin could regularly put out a team with a really piss poor defence. 
However, the fan criticism that has developed since Christmas is absolutely valid. Harvey's tenure has been disastrous and his squad of players, despite many many changes, is the worst we've ever had. To continue to watch utterly abject displays as we've seen in the last 3 games and still not make a backroom change is the most valid criticism of them all. If we were losing by the odd goal, if we were hitting crossbars or coming up against inspired keepers, if we were on top for a while in these defeats, then you could excuse the Board for sticking with their man and hoping our luck will change. But it isn't like that. We continue to get deservedly thrashed and it is actually very possible that we will not get another SPFL point - ever. In terms of quality, we are miles behind everyone else now. 
Seems to me that the Board will be hurting as much as anyone, and are putting their faith in a return to fitness of a talismanic Ousy See. People want them to gamble - and if anyone experienced can be coaxed down to Shielfield for the last few weeks then they should do it. But the gamble was actually made when Harvey was appointed and failed to sign anyone any good in January. 
So, a bit of sympathy for the Board from me, but at the end of the season they are just as accountable as the Manager. 

How you can sympathise with the Board is beyond me. The club’s very existence is at stake and they are continuing with someone who has shown over a fairly extensive period of time that he’s not fit for the job yet you sympathise??!!

It would be like Woody’s cabs employing a taxi driver and after a couple of shifts discovering the c**t was blind but letting him continue to attempt to take you from the train station to the Curfew.

1 minute ago, tescodave said:

How you can sympathise with the Board is beyond me. The club’s very existence is at stake and they are continuing with someone who has shown over a fairly extensive period of time that he’s not fit for the job yet you sympathise??!!

It would be like Woody’s cabs employing a taxi driver and after a couple of shifts discovering the c**t was blind but letting him continue to attempt to take you from the train station to the Curfew.

Hahahaha brilliant 

Think that's why I've taken an interest, I'm not even overly fond of Berwick but it's been a total embarrassment of a season and the way Harvey is acting and the way the people above him are not acting is winding me up. It's not fair on the fans at all. Literally getting pumped 7-1 and 6-0 by teams mid to lower half in fucking League 2!

Atleast Albion Rovers have gave things a go and salvaged some pride. Berwick just seem so passive the fans (got a funny feeling that they're not actually fans to be honest) on here giving people stick for not backing the manager or being negative are absolutely deluded and afff their heads.

Being positive and backing the team has worked wonders so far after all eh..

JH has had nothing but support on here (I’ve had a fair few disagreements regarding it) , social media and at the games. But there comes a time when enough is enough. And I think 95% of fans would all love to see a change. And it’s been discussed on here on numerous occasions that we can’t compete with the top 3 financially and that when we played them all them it was about damage limitation, but we were coming up against teams in and around us so we will pick up points... these teams are the ones that have gave us the thumping! Regarding budgets and what not, you only need to look at the divisions above... Arbroath do they have the biggest budget in league 1? Alloa holding there own in the championship, the only part time team in the division! (Nice to see Hamilton get the winner for them against Morton, mcrorrie in the sticks for Morton)