Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

Nobody seems to be questioning the very fact that Harvey is still in charge and most likely will be for our remaining survival games.

How on earth our Board think he’s the man to lead us out of this mess is beyond me. He should never have seen today.

44 minutes ago, dougster said:

We are bottom and had 540 there, I reckon 100 or so from QP not bad for what is the worst team ever. The support is there Johnny Boy but we need more than just your now infamous interviews, we need a team that can win a few games.

The upstairs was full too. In fact it felt like it was the cocktail deck on the Titanic. Everyone behaving like what is happening isn't quite real.  Its ok we're fine, make sure table six get their butties. 3-0, hmm better than last week lol, Is the food ready for the boardroom?  thought we had a good first 19minutes, 50-50 tickets sir?

Keep playing those violins.

In all seriousness there is a palpably noticeable sense of surrealism as if it's not really happening, or can't/definitely won't happen, which in its own way is very concerning. Think it stems from the fact we were "comfortably" clear until recently - and lots of people had put themselves in the mindset that we'd pick up a few wins here and there, and well Albion Rovers were rubbish, so what's the worst that could happen? Of course the worse has happened and it's proven to be Albion Rovers getting an unexpected 3pt increase, and hitting form, against us winning 1 game in 21.

No side has previously gone into the playoff in that sort of detached shock. Either they have been fighting tooth-n-nail right to the end, or have resigned themselves to it weeks before and got focused on preparing. There are still 3 weeks to save our own skins or failing that shake ourselves into grim steeliness. I'm unsure whether it's Titanic and the iceberg, or the Lusitania serenely sailing into U20's crosshairs, currently.

19 minutes ago, tescodave said:

Nobody seems to be questioning the very fact that Harvey is still in charge and most likely will be for our remaining survival games.

How on earth our Board think he’s the man to lead us out of this mess is beyond me. He should never have seen today.

The board will be panicking as the only contact number they have between them is John Coughlin and right now I’d take that. 

You can’t advertise a job at this stage and the club don’t network too well. There is no contact with agents to even know who is available.

It all points to a lack of leadership and knowledge about the product, football. 

Edited by Disc Potato

If the answer is Jimmy Crease or John Coughlin then what is the question?!

To continue previous metaphor: I can see a line of thought that says it's too late to alter course now. Even if you got a new man by mid-week they've 3 training sessions and 1 game before Albion. Upon seeing the iceberg Titanic would've been better hitting it head on not swerving too late and broadsiding it. Imponderables.

4 hours ago, Disc Potato said:

unbelievable Jeff.  

Just watched this again. 

I love the fact that he is angry and passionate and positive and honest.  

I appreciate that he works his tits off and really really cares. 

But it all counts for nothing if the team is mince and gets hammered every week. Fans will not cheer and be all chipper and gung-ho if we let in comedy goals every week and fail miserably at the other end.

That's how it works. 

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

If the answer is Jimmy Crease or John Coughlin then what is the question?!

To continue previous metaphor: I can see a line of thought that says it's too late to alter course now. Even if you got a new man by mid-week they've 3 training sessions and 1 game before Albion. Upon seeing the iceberg Titanic would've been better hitting it head on not swerving too late and broadsiding it. Imponderables.

We need someone to organise this team of players with a game plan to win enough points to finish ninth. 

Today, organised yes, effort good, game plan not sure. 

Albion Rovers signed three strikers that carry an attacking threat, play 4-4-2, press high and get the ball into their front men at the first opportunity. Fairly basic but has worked for them.

There is no point sacking Johnny without having a replacement lined up, the board at least have to look at other options, make calls, see what’s available to them and make a decision, stick or twist. 

To be honest before that interview nothing has really changed for me, i can still see it all coming down to the game on the 27th. But after watching the interview the man has lost it, he’s lost his control and how is somebody in that state of mind meant to lead us into that match on the 27th. I mean even today he’s still tinkering with the team dropping Brennan, that in its self is going to upset certainly Brennan and maybe others in the camp and again is a disruption. 

He genuinely seems to have no clue how to fix the current situation. I actually thought I was listening to last weeks interview for the opening 30 seconds as it was the same it’s not good enough deflections.

It’s no good saying give him till 10 games into next season, you will be mid table in the lowland league by then. You need someone who can organise that rabble immediately to try and avoid the drop. (By immediately I mean after next Saturday of course).

That interview though!

He’s basically thrown his players under the bus and tried to distance himself from any blame. The players I’m sure will have lost a lot of respect for him and can’t buy a win at the moment. Berwick are facing relegation in the face and you can’t go into the play offs with a disjointed and toxic atmosphere. Albion Rovers must be rubbing their hands at the moment looking at Berwick imploding.

16 minutes ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

That interview though!

He’s basically thrown his players under the bus and tried to distance himself from any blame. The players I’m sure will have lost a lot of respect for him and can’t buy a win at the moment. Berwick are facing relegation in the face and you can’t go into the play offs with a disjointed and toxic atmosphere. Albion Rovers must be rubbing their hands at the moment looking at Berwick imploding.

He has lost the Dressing room and his interviews are the same rubbish everyweek.   

There was a very interesting thread on twitter last night that has now been deleted.

Craig Hume (Surprise, Surprise) supported his brother-in-law and manager and thanked him for taking him from the bottom of the juniors to the SPFL.

Some very interesting replies that called him out for being a “grass” and players leaving because of him. 

We could stand for that if he was any good but he is awful and some of the reason we are in this mess as too many have made the move from the bottom of the juniors into one SPFL team.

40 minutes ago, The Crafty Dafty said:

That interview is a shocker!!!
The players need lifted not publicly slated ffs

Nice to see the manager have faith in the players he brought in (NOT!)... and then go on to say it'll be his squad next season, implying that some (many?) of the current lot will be shown the door.

11 hours ago, Disc Potato said:

Albion Rovers signed three strikers that carry an attacking threat, play 4-4-2, press high and get the ball into their front men at the first opportunity. Fairly basic but has worked for them.

Who's the three? Osadalor is definitely a threat and an absolute grafter. Byrne flatters to deceive for me but he grabbed a few in March and the manager clearly rates him. Not sure on who the the third is. We had George Newell from Motherwell but he hasn't been seen in weeks, and was the most awkward, ineffective striker I've seen in a Rovers jersey for some time. His old man (Mike Newell) is apparently 54 now but I'd still have him over his boy.

On the 4-4-2, you're right that's how we play and it makes sense for a struggling team to play a simple system. The key for me is that players are now willing to get in the way of shots, track runners, get goal side at all times and just generally work hard defensively to frustrate better teams. 

Finally, on the Johnny interview, There's no doubt it was ill-advised but I actually felt a bit sorry for him. It's clear he cares deeply, and there is an obvious personal impact on him and his family. To me, it looks like the last throw of the device to get something out of his players, although I'm not sure that's the best way to do it (we'll know after the Clyde game). Attacking the support is crazy though.

Who's the three? Osadalor is definitely a threat and an absolute grafter. Byrne flatters to deceive for me but he grabbed a few in March and the manager clearly rates him. Not sure on who the the third is. We had George Newell from Motherwell but he hasn't been seen in weeks, and was the most awkward, ineffective striker I've seen in a Rovers jersey for some time. His old man (Mike Newell) is apparently 54 now but I'd still have him over his boy.
On the 4-4-2, you're right that's how we play and it makes sense for a struggling team to play a simple system. The key for me is that players are now willing to get in the way of shots, track runners, get goal side at all times and just generally work hard defensively to frustrate better teams. 
Finally, on the Johnny interview, There's no doubt it was ill-advised but I actually felt a bit sorry for him. It's clear he cares deeply, and there is an obvious personal impact on him and his family. To me, it looks like the last throw of the device to get something out of his players, although I'm not sure that's the best way to do it (we'll know after the Clyde game). Attacking the support is crazy though.

I agree you should never attack the support!!
It reeked of desperation tbh!!
He’s signed a few players since his arrival so he must have known there strengths and weaknesses before they joined BR ie they don’t track runners or can’t defend etc so it all his own fault for wasting club money on them