Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

But the innocent opponents are not compensated at all so suffer at the hands of a team playing ineligible players and thus likely a stronger side

Why should they be compensated? Surely getting the opportunity to replay a match you originally lost is compensation enough.

How were cove rangers compensated when hearts played an illegible player against them earlier in the season?

But the innocent opponents are not compensated at all so suffer at the hands of a team playing ineligible players and thus likely a stronger side
What you mean is ARGUABLY suffer. But in the real world we all know Albion would have lost anyway. No team should get free points.

There are a few ways this could be settled without involving other teams and compromising the integrity of the league.

1- Reverse the walk over wins and simply dock 4 points from us.

2- Order a replay of the Albion match when the original offence took place and let the QP result stand as a draw. (Could be argued that the SPFL should have flagged the error by then anyway).

3- Suspend our points deduction until the start of next season and whatever league we are in start on -4 points.
Great post mate. Too reasonable for our governing body to consider though I fear.

3 minutes ago, A Believer said:
22 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:
There are a few ways this could be settled without involving other teams and compromising the integrity of the league.

1- Reverse the walk over wins and simply dock 4 points from us.

2- Order a replay of the Albion match when the original offence took place and let the QP result stand as a draw. (Could be argued that the SPFL should have flagged the error by then anyway).

3- Suspend our points deduction until the start of next season and whatever league we are in start on -4 points.

Great post mate. Too reasonable for our governing body to consider though I fear.

Even though point 2 and 3 are totally ridiculous. You only think it’s great as it suits your agenda. 

The problem with a replay, apart from squeezing it in, is that neither team deserves it. Clyde because they are the guilty party and Albion because they would have lost anyway. Why should either get another bite at the cherry?

What you mean is ARGUABLY suffer. But in the real world we all know Albion would have lost anyway. No team should get free points.

What are you talking about - Albion lost by the narrowest of margins so you really don't know Albion would have lost anyway in the real world. Berwick wouldn't have beaten Peterhead in the real world either

Even though point 2 and 3 are totally ridiculous. You only think it’s great as it suits your agenda. 

Why are points 2 & 3 ridiculous?

Any more ridiculous than docking a single point and still letting the offending team earn 2 points out of 3 as happened to hearts in the league cup?

Albion lost narrowly to a team that played an ineligible player. So, as much as I'd prefer to see another admin error accidentally deducting Albion 3 points, it is theoretically true that they were the injured party on the day

However, Berwick clearly suffer in a bigger way than Albion and that is just wrong. 

It is surely up to the appeals panel to come up with a "reasonable" outcome. And for me that is a 3 point deduction (by way of punishment) to Clyde AND a replay. 

Edited by Redcar

Berwick beat Peterhead recently, which I think was partly down to it being a fair trek to play in miserable weather midweek when Peterhead were missing some players and had some carrying injuries from the previous game against us.

Basically, what I am saying is that if you have a real go at it and the other team is struggling a bit for motivation and you take an early chance, then you can get a good result. That is why you tend to get some more unusual results at this end of the season. If Berwick are motivated enough, then barring any real bad luck, they have a real opportunity to save themselves. I would take Berwick's position over Albion's for the last four games.

3 minutes ago, PELE said:

Berwick beat Peterhead recently, which I think was partly down to it being a fair trek to play in miserable weather midweek when Peterhead were missing some players and had some carrying injuries from the previous game against us.

Basically, what I am saying is that if you have a real go at it and the other team is struggling a bit for motivation and you take an early chance, then you can get a good result. That is why you tend to get some more unusual results at this end of the season. If Berwick are motivated enough, then barring any real bad luck, they have a real opportunity to save themselves. I would take Berwick's position over Albion's for the last four games.

Not saying  it could not have happened anyway ie Berwick beating us on the Tues night but although thinking it was a good idea at the time by us again indirectly  Clyde being docked points & the chance to open up an 8 point gap on City before playing them both we agreed to play the game only days after the original being called off & aware we were going to be missing a couple key players. It was a cunning plan that went badly wrong our own fault but not many would have expecting Berwick to pick up the 3pts

are we really that desperate that re-covering points for a decision against another game ?

In reality our own results have put us in this position

Can we have points given to us for being crap at QP and Annan please??

If the "bonus" points situation (and hence league positions) was reversed between us and Albion, can any Berwick supporter honestly say, with hand on heart, that they wouldn't be defending us getting the three points from the game where the opposition fielded an ineligible player? I'm not sure that I could...

If the "bonus" points situation (and hence league positions) was reversed between us and Albion, can any Berwick supporter honestly say, with hand on heart, that they wouldn't be defending us getting the three points from the game where the opposition fielded an ineligible player? I'm not sure that I could...
That's just the conflict that comes from supporting the team and supporting the game. But ultimately we would all agree that the game has to prevail.

Throw into the equation the away side making some holiday money off Berwick being 16/1 and it’s little wonder that bizarre result happened.