Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

Its not a scandal. An ineligible player set up a goal against Albion Rovers - how should they be compensated? A player that shouldn’t have been on he pitch helped defeat them. 

They should be given an opportunity to replay a match the lost 1-0 rather than awarded a default victory they were never capable of achieving.

So what you’re saying is the league should use some sort of pools panel system when ineligible players are played? “Ach they are shit anyway so he didn’t change the result. Just keep it as it is”.
The world is not perfect and we often have to sort the mess out as best we can. It is a virtual nailed on certainty that Albion would have lost anyway.

Docking points from the guilty team is fair. It's their own fault for breaking the rules. Awarding unearned points to any team is unfair to their rivals in the league who have to win theirs on the pitch.

The timing of the whole thing is unfortunate as well, if it had been early season before teams found themselves in situations like now it would probably have been more readily accepted. Clyde  did not follow the rules as set out at the start of the season and can only have themselves to blame. Since it all happened nearer the end of the season it could affect lots of things. At present its 2 teams it looks like having a bearing on which is unfortunate with just a few games left. could a 3-0 win for Berwick at Broadwood even things up.

Just now, peternapper said:

The timing of the whole thing is unfortunate as well, if it had been early season before teams found themselves in situations like now it would probably have been more readily accepted. Clyde  did not follow the rules as set out at the start of the season and can only have themselves to blame. Since it all happened nearer the end of the season it could affect lots of things. At present its 2 teams it looks like having a bearing on which is unfortunate with just a few games left. could a 3-0 win for Berwick at Broadwood even things up.

that could be wishful thinking but i'd take it 

1 minute ago, Pompey Blue said:

Let’s hope the appeals panel  is more neutral than you seem to be. 

I’m completely neutral in this. I have nothing to gain either way. Berwick should not be discussed at any point during the appeal. It shouldn’t matter if it’s a team at the top of the table, mid table or, like Albion, bottom of the table the appeal should be heard the same way.

9 minutes ago, Pompey Blue said:

If Berwick finish bottom by 2 points then that’s hardly an irrelevance is it. They’d have finished bottom because Albion were given 3 points they didn’t win. Again that’s a scandal. 

If Berwick finish anywhere within 3 points of the worst team I've seen in the SPFL in decades then they can have no complaints at all about their inevitable demise in the LL/EOS

4 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

They should be given an opportunity to replay a match the lost 1-0 rather than awarded a default victory they were never capable of achieving.

Why should Clyde be offered the luxury to win their 6 points back? If teams are missing key players they can just chuck in ineligible players then get it replayed with a full squad aye?

Just now, Muzza81 said:

So? What’s the number where it becomes appropriate for a 3-0? Jesus wept.

Obviously had argumentative spaghetti for tea, jog on, there is no comparison with this case and you know it,

There are a few ways this could be settled without involving other teams and compromising the integrity of the league.

1- Reverse the walk over wins and simply dock 4 points from us.

2- Order a replay of the Albion match when the original offence took place and let the QP result stand as a draw. (Could be argued that the SPFL should have flagged the error by then anyway).

3- Suspend our points deduction until the start of next season and whatever league we are in start on -4 points.

Why should Clyde be offered the luxury to win their 6 points back? If teams are missing key players they can just chuck in ineligible players then get it replayed with a full squad aye?

I don’t think the QP match should be replayed. Clearly any situation where we gain more points than the original fixtures is a non-starter.

We don't deserve another crack at the games. It's unfortunate that Berwick may inadvertently suffer as a consequence of our stupidity but let's face it, they must be fairly rubbish to be in the position they are in anyway. I'm struggling to muster any sympathy for them. 

6 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

I’m completely neutral in this. I have nothing to gain either way. Berwick should not be discussed at any point during the appeal. It shouldn’t matter if it’s a team at the top of the table, mid table or, like Albion, bottom of the table the appeal should be heard the same way.

But it does affect Berwick whichever way it’s dressed up. A possible relegation is at stake here due to a club being awarded bonus points after a defeat.  That has to be a consideration in all this otherwise the powers that be have helped send a team down. 

4 minutes ago, Stuart Anderson said:

We don't deserve another crack at the games. It's unfortunate that Berwick may inadvertently suffer as a consequence of our stupidity but let's face it, they must be fairly rubbish to be in the position they are in anyway. I'm struggling to muster any sympathy for them. 

Maybe the answer then is to dump Clyde into 10th place and let them face the play off. 

Fairly rubbish might be putting it mildly. But it's about the integrity of the league table. No team should have more points than they have won on the pitch. Fewer is okay as punishment for the guilty. But awarding unearned points punishes the innocent rivals whoever they are.

Fairly rubbish might be putting it mildly. But it's about the integrity of the league table. No team should have more points than they have won on the pitch. Fewer is okay as punishment for the guilty. But awarding unearned points punishes the innocent rivals whoever they are.

But the innocent opponents are not compensated at all so suffer at the hands of a team playing ineligible players and thus likely a stronger side