Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

1 minute ago, The Crafty Dafty said:

Should you not be concerned about your failings as a head coach rather than posting on here JH?

Top managers ignore negative comments on social media etc and just concentrate on the job in hand

You mean to say a supporter who's had his profile on here since 2010, supporting Berwick Rangers all that time, has secretly been Johnny Harvey all along?

You should consider taking up boxing with that far of a reach.

Should you not be concerned about your failings as a head coach rather than posting on here JH?

Top managers ignore negative comments on social media etc and just concentrate on the job in hand
I am Spartacus...[emoji23]

Oh dear.

10 minutes ago, A12A1 said:
24 minutes ago, A Believer said:
For those that couldn't be arsed to detach themselves from their keyboard only a week past Saturday, the Chairman elect, on behalf of the board, gave backing to the manager; who was also there to be open to all the questions. I guess some posters were there? Hard to say, I didn't hear any of the observations or questions here from the brave men here mostly articulated (only) from behind said keyboards.

Talking of bravery, at the time both guys stood up there, not knowing who would turn up, or what they might be asked, we were one point behind Albion. That's still the case, why the need for another statement? Must this be weekly to keep some folks happy? Daily??

Hey, credit where its due; and hang your head in shame posting vitreolic stuff on here about Board commitment if you could have been there, but didn't go.
[mention=76442]Fergie1[/mention], I tried something approaching conciliatory, but your response confirmed that you're a reactionary numbskull who (should have) lost the right to make comment about our football club when you called for fans to boycott the next matches; what planet are you on.

Hard words but true I'm afraid. In the old days the moaners would moan into their beer with no harm done. Nowadays it's online, and the kids live online so all the players get to read all of this. It's not good for morale & it's not helping JH at all. So let's get behind him & the team.

Have to respond to that. Again. 

I dragged my arse out of bed in Redcar at 7am to get to that talk in 10 days ago. I did so because Berwick Rangers means such a lot to me. I liked John Bell's upbeat and realistic presentation (and I wouldn't question the current Board's commitment - so much better than at the start of the season) 

I also liked Harvey's enthusiasm (and his little put down of Jamie Curle!) but was disappointed that he didn't show any humility regarding his record. 2 telling things that haven't been mentioned were the question from Brian Porteous about recruiting experience which Johnny essentily deflected, and the lack of input from Johnny's coaches. I probably should have asked them something directly, but anyone in their position with a strong personality might, perhaps, have contributed. 

Since then we have lost 2 games, both with woeful displays. 

This Saturday, many of the 'Come on Berwicks' will be from me. I will support the team wholeheartedly until the final whistle. But don't tell me I can't say what I feel on here afterwards - good or bad. It is a fans forum - the online equivalent of the back room of a pub. 

And the poor lads who play might get a bit deflated if they read some criticism? Well boo-fecking-hoo.  If I was a player in a team that got dicked every week and then read that the people who pay to watch weren't too chuffed, I wouldn't get upset. I'd try harder. 

48 minutes ago, A Believer said:

For those that couldn't be arsed to detach themselves from their keyboard only a week past Saturday, the Chairman elect, on behalf of the board, gave backing to the manager; who was also there to be open to all the questions. I guess some posters were there? Hard to say, I didn't hear any of the observations or questions here from the brave men here mostly articulated (only) from behind said keyboards.

Talking of bravery, at the time both guys stood up there, not knowing who would turn up, or what they might be asked, we were one point behind Albion. That's still the case, why the need for another statement? Must this be weekly to keep some folks happy? Daily??

Hey, credit where its due; and hang your head in shame posting vitreolic stuff on here about Board commitment if you could have been there, but didn't go.
@Fergie1, I tried something approaching conciliatory, but your response confirmed that you're a reactionary numbskull who (should have) lost the right to make comment about our football club when you called for fans to boycott the next matches; what planet are you on.

Unfortunately I was dragging 1300 tonne out of Felixstowe at that time. I would love to have vented my spleen, but that wasn't possible, perhaps questions by proxy may be another avenue to explore ??

1 hour ago, A Believer said:

Berwick fans come in all shapes and sizes, they also don't all live near the ground, a lot of Berwick fans live hundreds sometimes 1000s of miles away, doesn't make them any less of a supporter, Years ago when i edited the fanzine, i learnt pretty quickly  the club i thought was mine was actually shared with a lot of other people, some local some not. 

Every Berwick fan has a right to an opinion, in a way that's what makes football such a great sport. I don't agree with the personal attacks  aimed at JH or the board but i reserve the right to call out what I see and hear and if that is in the form of criticism so be it, We are in a precarious place, Ill be there on Saturday to give my support in this crucial time but ill also say to JB or anyone else who'll listen exactly how I feel, but just don't invite me in the dressing room just after if we get another hammering,  it wouldn't be very pretty 

@A Believer no response to that I’m afraid mate, well done JH, we’ll all forget about the absolutely abysmal record because you were brave and stood up and answered questions.

Touching on the boycott of games, that was said (probably wrongly and in the heat of the moment) as the only way to get the board to take action and was followed up with me saying but ofcourse nobody is going to do that because we are all going to give every last bit of support we have to try and get the lads over the line but you would have chose to ignore that part again. 

At the end of the day we can all point fingers at members of the board, me included,  and the goings on that’s been happening for a while but they have given JH their backing since his arrival with the recruitment of no fewer than 11 players. Let’s not get away from the fact that this is down to him I’m afraid nobody else. We have won 1 game of football since November. The board are not responsible for picking the worse Berwick team for years and are not responsible for setting them up to get beat by six goal margins. 

[mention=30956]A Believer[/mention] no response to that I’m afraid mate, well done JH, we’ll all forget about the absolutely abysmal record because you were brave and stood up and answered questions.

Touching on the boycott of games, that was said (probably wrongly and in the heat of the moment) as the only way to get the board to take action and was followed up with me saying but ofcourse nobody is going to do that because we are all going to give every last bit of support we have to try and get the lads over the line but you would have chose to ignore that part again. 

At the end of the day we can all point fingers at members of the board, me included,  and the goings on that’s been happening for a while but they have given JH their backing since his arrival with the recruitment of no fewer than 11 players. Let’s not get away from the fact that this is down to him I’m afraid nobody else. We have won 1 game of football since November. The board are not responsible for picking the worse Berwick team for years and are not responsible for setting them up to get beat by six goal margins. 

Aye indeed, didnae mean boycott, didnae mean 'now that our safety is confirmed'; your other pearl. I'm just not terribly sure anything you say anymore has the credence to merit a response.

15 minutes ago, A Believer said:

Aye indeed, didnae mean boycott, didnae mean 'now that our safety is confirmed'; your other pearl. I'm just not terribly sure anything you say anymore has the credence to merit a response.

Says the man who believes that the sacking of a manager who has 1 win in 21 games would be knee jerk. 

You mean to say a supporter who's had his profile on here since 2010, supporting Berwick Rangers all that time, has secretly been Johnny Harvey all along?
You should consider taking up boxing with that far of a reach.

Sorry JH
I didn’t have my specs on :(
I take back my post!!

Lesson learned don’t rant when half blind!!

2 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

If we get relegated at the end of this season, we will have next season to get the f**k back out, if not we’ll be in the EOS in the next 3/4 years imho. The very existence of the club is at stake here in the next few weeks, without doubt. 

I agree with you, Heed, but if Berwick do go down they would have to win the LL, which isn't guaranteed in a League that could possibly have Kelty, Spartans, a revitalised Shire and Linlithgow Rose in it plus EK if they don't go up. Then they would have to beat the Highland League Champions which depending on who were HL Champs isn't a given and finally have to relegate a SPFL team who would be scrapping for their lives rather better than Berwick seem to be. There's only been one team promoted from HL or LL so far and it took Shire taking Edinburgh City a bit lightly and a penalty to achieve that feat. 

I can't say I've seen Cove or Brora this season but Kilby gave City a hell of a game in the Irn Bru Cup earlier in the season when we were high flying in the League and I wouldn't fancy Berwick's chances on the showing I saw a couple of weeks ago. 

Says the man who believes that the sacking of a manager who has 1 win in 21 games would be knee jerk. 

Any further pearls around who you know, equal or better, who are queuing up Mr 'it's no ma job to pick a manager, it's the directors job' No? Just whine on about sack the manager, now we're safe.

Could you maybe start your protest activity by boycotting P&B?

On 07/04/2019 at 20:52, DutchBorderer said:

I think it's a little bit much to psycho-analyze a semi-professional football manager's post-match interviews. Just a thought.

I would also never expect him to look into the camera, considering he's not reading out the news on the telly but rather talking to Dennis!

Agree. Using body language to judge someone is poor. It's not accurate. It can merely be a helpful guide in some situations. As you say, why would he look into the camera? He is not reading the news. As for the other stuff, the guy is under immense pressure. He isn't going to act in a normal manner. Our manager doesn't do anything different when interviewed after games. Does that mean he is lying? 

Maybe he is more concerned about his career than Berwick's situation, but he is the man in charge for now and all you can do is back him. Many of us moan and sometimes go over the top because it means so much to us. We still have to remember that the managers and players (and officials) are no different to us, with family (usually in the crowd) and it must be upsetting listening to some of the gripes. On the other hand, they have to realise that it usually isn't personal. They have to be thick skinned, especially nowadays with all the social media.

Unless JH is sacked soon, you guys need to rally behind him and the team for two massive home games against QP and Albion Rovers. Try to get as many locals to turn up as you can and swell the support and cheer the team on. The club should reduce the entry and appeal to the locals to boost the crowd. Albion have three matches against the likely champions and two of the other top four teams.

If you guys can be the twelfth man (and woman) and cheer the team on, it is very doable. Win those two games and I would say you will definitely survive. Even one win in the Albion match may well be enough. These two games should be like Cup Finals for any once a season fans out there.

44 minutes ago, A Believer said:

Any further pearls around who you know, equal or better, who are queuing up Mr 'it's no ma job to pick a manager, it's the directors job' No? Just whine on about sack the manager, now we're safe.

Not sure if you are reading other posts mate or solely focusing on mine, but probably 99% of the posts on here are now saying JH needs to go. With regards to who should replace him, maybe ken who he invited into the changing room on Saturday, as JH himself thinks he can do a better job of inspiring and motivating the players than he can himself. 

9 hours ago, A Believer said:

It’s not his job to pick the manager. It winds me up when fans expect other fans to name who would/should take the job when calling for a managers head, just because a fan can’t name a replacement doesn’t mean one isn’t out there. How many Albion fans would have named Harper early in the season when they were getting pumped every week?

It’s not his job to pick the manager. It winds me up when fans expect other fans to name who would/should take the job when calling for a managers head, just because a fan can’t name a replacement doesn’t mean one isn’t out there. How many Albion fans would have named Harper early in the season when they were getting pumped every week?
So your position is that the board are wise enough to pick a manager but if they pick the one they have already got they are dimwits? And you're entitled to carp and criticise but if anybody asks you for an alternative that's not your job?

Makes me wonder why anybody would want to be on an FC board. The only theory I can come up with is that they must love the club and have very thick skins.

Just now, A12A1 said:

So your position is that the board are wise enough to pick a manager but if they pick the one they have already got they are dimwits? And you're entitled to carp and criticise but if anybody asks you for an alternative that's not your job?

Makes me wonder why anybody would want to be on an FC board. The only theory I can come up with is that they must love the club and have very thick skins.

Eh? Of course it’s the board’s job to pick a new manager. They will be privy to information fans aren’t aware of. What a ridiculous point to try and make. 

Eh? Of course it’s the board’s job to pick a new manager. They will be privy to information fans aren’t aware of. What a ridiculous point to try and make. 
No, ridiculous is where you reply to a post you have not read properly, or don't wish to. After all it's so nice to indulge yourself in negativity and shun any responsibility.