Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

40 minutes ago, PELE said:

I disagree. Bringing a fan in is spot on. Why the hell shouldn't the players listen to what it means to the guy? Maybe JH has been poor elsewhere. I can't really comment on that, but his heart is in the right place. So good luck to him. Better than the dinosaurs who usually have these jobs.

I’m sorry but if I was asked in there today I would have refused. A publicity stunt from Harvey here! If the players don’t know what it means and he needs to resort to bringing fans in then that to me says it all. He is struggling to motivate them! 

Why is our manager attending reserve games at this time of the season when our club is in great danger of becoming extinct? He gets 4 hours a week to work with the team, surely it’s paramount he is at training Tuesday Thursday when we have absolutely everything to play for? 

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Inviting a fan into the changing room to tell the players how important it is to have Berwick Rangers as a “league club”.....does nobody else find that a bit embarrassing? That’s clutching at straws stuff and if I was a player in that dressing room, I’d be absolutely raging at your illustrious leader for doing that.

Absolute tinpot behaviour and reeks of being way out of his depth. 

I believe JH is the man for the job. We need to get behind him. Carping is no good to anyone.

JH did not dig the hole the club is in it was there when he arrived. He had a good record in his previous job so the notion he can't motivate a team is absurd. The team is miles better than when he arrived but their luck has been abysmal.

The first half today was great. I don't know what JH said to them at half time but there is no way he could have foreseen how the second half was going to start so it's not his fault. If the first goal had come
at the end of the first half rather than beginning of the second he would have got them sorted. The timing was just sheer bad luck again.

I can't see Albion avoiding defeat in their next two games against Peterhead and Edinburgh. So that means they have 2 games left to save themselves and we have 4.

So it's not all bad! Cheer up!

(And so far as I am aware Jose Mourinho is unavailable).

WTF, you at the wind up ?

7 hours ago, PELE said:

Exactly. That's why they should try to make amends this time. It's hardly a major effort to beat a QP team with nothing to play for.

Thankfully our players don't think like that. We're on a decent wee run at the moment, nobody seems to have downed tools and Roberts freshened up the team yesterday with some youngsters with everything to prove. Of course Berwick could produce the type of performance that gave them  their win over Peterhead and we could play pish. Recent form suggests otherwise but that's why we still go to the football when our team is struggling, we hope anything can happen 

Edited by Mick1867

Thankfully our players don't think like that. We're on a decent wee run at the moment, nobody seems to have downed tools and Roberts freshened up the team yesterday with some youngsters with everything to prove. Of course Berwick could produce the type of performance that gave them  their win over Peterhead and we could play pish. Recent form suggests otherwise but that's why we still go to the football when our team is struggling, we hope anything can happen 

Looking back at that Peterhead match I think it’s clear to see they simply didn’t fancy it. A long journey followed by getting home at 4am, missing some key players, one of these players going off early. Throw that into the mix and I feel they downed tools that night. Berwick were by far the better side so I’d say there was a huge issue with Peterhead’s attitude that night rather than us being magnificent. Their extremely poor performance made it look that way but it plain to see it was an anomaly and a total false dawn for us.

I've just woken up and had my medication, but can you imagine the excitement if Yogi came in to assist his former club in steering clear of the drop? He really would be a hero and we could give him the freedom of the town!

Put Harvey on gardening leave now that spring is here!

Has anyone asked Yogi? Has anyone got his number? He just might feel sorry for us and give his time for a few weeks for nowt? It has to be worth a try?

I think I might have had too much medication so I'll go back to sleep now and dream of what could be.

Nite nite. :angel

P.S. It's nice to be insane, don't knock it 'til you've tried it!

Looking back at that Peterhead match I think it’s clear to see they simply didn’t fancy it. A long journey followed by getting home at 4am, missing some key players, one of these players going off early. Throw that into the mix and I feel they downed tools that night. Berwick were by far the better side so I’d say there was a huge issue with Peterhead’s attitude that night rather than us being magnificent. Their extremely poor performance made it look that way but it plain to see it was an anomaly and a total false dawn for us.
Of course you're right that Peterhead weren't at their best; McAllister not even travelling. Anyone who's played, knows the negative impact of your best player not bring on the pitch. I'd bet there was more to thay story that wouldn't have helped either, beside the horrible travel.

I also still saw us under heaps of pressure against a side that was physically and technically stronger and, had they scored first, or at all, it could well have been a different story. We played some nice football defended effectively and took our chances well.

We weren't magnificent, and it didn't mean we're competitive with even the top two thirds of the league.

However, here it comes, we showed that this group (and yes, I include the manager, as the team dynamic is key; for me anyway) can perform to a level, I think, can get us finishing above Albion Rovers.

Comparing favourably against top 4 sides would be nice, but picking up points from QP, Clyde, Rovers and Elgin, and finishing above Rovers is all that matters right now.

Had a night to think about it.

If we are to let Harvey go, now really is the time. Someone else might galvanize the squad for an immediate reaction against QP, then use the remaining training days to come up with a gameplan for the match v. Rovers.

We (BRFC and opposition fans) often speculate about what the players think about Harvey, but I can't help but think the dressing room is behind him. If it wasn't, either he or the board would have sprung to action. That would have been the logical thing to do, at least.

If Harvey stays, then so be it and we must continue to support the team and backroom staff one hundred percent. I know I will, it's the only thing we can do.

Well a game of two halves indeed. After not expecting anything and with a side that raised a few eyebrows when announced, Berwick had a very good 45 minutes of football. An early header was well saved by Brennan then we bossed the game for the next 35 minutes or so. Brydon and Wilson looked strong and Cook and Forbes as full backs looked a good pairing. We should have scored at least two with Blues and Barr  (there’s a pun in there somewhere) both missing good opportunities. Then one of the most bizarre moments for which 2nd division football is most famous. Rose pulled down  on the edge of the box ref plays advantage as the ball breaks to Barr who’s shot is well saved. Ref decides the advantage is over then proceeds to book the Annan  player who pulled the guy down, eh? So where’s the advantage? Anyway we went in at half time 0-0  the few hardy souls who ventured across the A7 looking shell shocked, what’s happening? This was not in the script.

but of course as John Cleese once said Despair? I can can cope with despair it’s the hope I can’t handle  and so it came to pass. No sooner had  Plastic Bertrand’s punk classic died on the tannoy when we conceded a soft goal, it was difficult to see as it was the other end from us but that was quickly followed by a softish but giveable penalty after th ball came back off the bar. Johnny Harvey then proceeded to sit down in the dug out while the team tried to sort itself out, strange one, he reminds me of a younger jimmy Thomson, no outward signs that he cares or otherwise .  Before too long Annan with their tails up got a third still no changes in formation or visible instructions to the team. The rest was a horror  show. Annan’s  confidence was mirrored by our complete lack of it . We wanted to leave early but the ‘only doing my job’ stewards wouldn’t open the exit so we could skunk back to our cars without being seen. Instead we had to bear the agony to the final whistle other than take the ‘walk of shame’ along the front of the stand. So I don’t know now. I saw great things the first half but the second half was the stuff of nightmares. Shout out to Annan  who changed their shape second half and adapted to their second best showing in the first. 

As for Berwick, I think we have a struggle ahead, next week is the big one methinks. We win we have a chance,  we lose and then it’s a cup final against Albion and anything is possible. Not impressed with JH his lack of response to the 2nd goal the introduction of the subs only with 20mins to go, then taking off our best players. Bizarre. I’ll leave it to others to decide. Desperate times indeed .

A better story would be the manager inviting an old fan into the changing room at half time with the score at 0-0, and the game ending in a 6-0 defeat.

3 minutes ago, smpar said:

A better story would be the manager inviting an old fan into the changing room at half time with the score at 0-0, and the game ending in a 6-0 defeat.

Would be even better giving the old boy a start next week and him scoring the winner v QP or just make him the manager for the last 4 games.

16 hours ago, A12A1 said:

I believe JH is the man for the job. We need to get behind him. Carping is no good to anyone.

JH did not dig the hole the club is in it was there when he arrived. He had a good record in his previous job so the notion he can't motivate a team is absurd. The team is miles better than when he arrived but their luck has been abysmal.

The first half today was great. I don't know what JH said to them at half time but there is no way he could have foreseen how the second half was going to start so it's not his fault. If the first goal had come
at the end of the first half rather than beginning of the second he would have got them sorted. The timing was just sheer bad luck again.

I can't see Albion avoiding defeat in their next two games against Peterhead and Edinburgh. So that means they have 2 games left to save themselves and we have 4.

So it's not all bad! Cheer up!

(And so far as I am aware Jose Mourinho is unavailable).

You are Johnny Harvey and I claim my £10

How many fucking accounts has the clown got on here?

i thought the QP highlights where hard to watch but deary me that was painful. Granted it’s annans highlights package so could be seen as slightly biased, but Sean makes a great save and they squander a great opportunity before it shows blues attempt, yet JH seems to think we should have been 2 up, and that second chance can’t have been that clear cut it didn’t even make the highlights. That second half showing there really was embarrassing, players looked lost at every goal. I thought it was too late to change things but after watching that action must be taken now! @A Believer don’t try and tell me a new face couldn’t sort that out, you obviously don’t know much about football if you think otherwise.