Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

19 hours ago, Redcar said:

Saturdays meeting needs to concentrate on the present and the future. Unless Johnny invites comments on what we think he has done wrong, it is not the time to be destructively critical. 

50/50 whether I can make it, but I hope it is as positive as possible. If there is a further loss of points to Albion on Saturday, Johnny needs to immediately plan for the play offs, keeping the likes of Brydon, Barr, Forbes and anyone with niggling injuries wrapped in cotton wool. Even Ousy See. I too called for the Board to look for a replacement Manager a few weeks ago, but that moment has gone. Johnny got a performance out of the team v Peterhead that nobody expected and we need to get behind him with hope that he can do it again. 

John Bell has longer term issues to think about. Finances for a start, and would the English pyramid be a better bet than the Spfl if we can't compete for players in the Lowland League? 

Is there much support for "moving"? I'd wondered, but with limited knowledge, if a move to the Northern League might work.

Would the NL want you, the existing clubs might not fancy the travel?

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Is there much support for "moving"? I'd wondered, but with limited knowledge, if a move to the Northern League might work.

No. 

Outside of the Spfl, nothing makes much sense to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Another good reason to repeal the Act of Union 1707. Scottish not British. Come home.

It was actually Richard, Duke of York, that finally seized Berwick for the English in 1482.

He's the one that became king later, they all think was an evil b*****d and was dug up in a Leicester car park 530 years later.

richard.jpg.94788397aa4b8d88c49fa5e4ad08759d.jpg

"Now is the winter of discontent, Berwick are shite again..."

Wouldn’t be up to the Northern League.
The FA decide who’s going where. The league’s have no say in the matter.
I’ve closely being watching the situation regarding Colwyn Bay who are returning back to Wales and from what I’m hearing they seem to be heading to the third tier. Of course England has a bigger pyramid system so that means nothing.
I wouldn’t think we would have to go the bottom. I’m sure the FA would accommodate us somewhere and my guess would be the Northern League for starters.
Would we better off in England I’m not sure. The travelling in the NL might not be so bad as the SPFL but the drawback is a lot of the NL clubs don’t bring much travelling support.

5 minutes ago, NE63 exile said:

Wouldn’t be up to the Northern League.
The FA decide who’s going where. The league’s have no say in the matter.
I’ve closely being watching the situation regarding Colwyn Bay who are returning back to Wales and from what I’m hearing they seem to be heading to the third tier. Of course England has a bigger pyramid system so that means nothing.
I wouldn’t think we would have to go the bottom. I’m sure the FA would accommodate us somewhere and my guess would be the Northern League for starters.
Would we better off in England I’m not sure. The travelling in the NL might not be so bad as the SPFL but the drawback is a lot of the NL clubs don’t bring much travelling support.

Much the same as the LL I was at Kelty on Wednesday and didn't see 1 away fan.

Edited by cowdenbeath

12 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

It was actually Richard, Duke of York, that finally seized Berwick for the English in 1482.

He's the one that became king later, they all think was an evil b*****d and was dug up in a Leicester car park 530 years later.

And when they were up, they were up,

And when they were down, they were down,

And when they were only half way up he got arrested.

© Spike Milligan.

57 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

He did, but aside of the historic fact that Scotland never accepted that and it was the Union that finally nailed it, that version didn't suit my less than subtle political meandering. Logically, if the Act of Union was repealed then Berwick would be free again.

Rebellious Scots not accepting the will of an English Monarch. Thank heavens it's not like than any more, eh ;)

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Learn your history - Richard was Duke of Gloucester not York.

As potentially winning nothing more than league salvation, do we have a shout for the most diverse, (almost) football related discussion on P&B? Magnificent!! Anyone have a copy of the Magna Carta handy in case it comes up at The Black & Gold tomorrow.

Coincidentally, it was the 30th of March (1296) when the infamous slaughter of Berwick began at the hands of King Edward the 1st. Berwick went from being a major Scottish trading port to a minor English fishing village.

7 hours ago, PELE said:

Coincidentally, it was the 30th of March (1296) when the infamous slaughter of Berwick began at the hands of King Edward the 1st. Berwick went from being a major Scottish trading port to a minor English fishing village.

With splendid and complete Elizabethan built  walls, a  rich  and fascinating history, the barracks, the Lowry trail, the beautiful salmon fishing Tweed, etc etc and Cowden has er well Lochelly isn’t too far away 

Ah well, as interesting as the history lesson was, it's not over until the Fat b*****d sings (non sexist version) and I haven't started to sing yet! It's not over yet, have a little faith, it always comes to he who waits etc. etc.

Call me an optimist (or worse) but my gut feeling (and it's a big gut) is that we'll survive in League 2 somehow and it will go right to the wire. :wacko:

8 hours ago, PELE said:

Mines and fish? You couldn't go wrong with that.

So Berwick could have been another Greenock? Well there's a terrific opportunity lost.

2 hours ago, dougster said:

With splendid and complete Elizabethan built  walls, a  rich  and fascinating history, the barracks, the Lowry trail, the beautiful salmon fishing Tweed, etc etc and Cowden has er well Lochelly isn’t too far away 

I wasn't having a dig. I like Berwick.