Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

Hi chaps, I was up at the game on Saturday and thought I'd share my blog with you: https://jaygolds.wordpress.com/2019/03/13/the-2018-19-scottish-awayday-berwick-rangers/

Includes meeting club legend Eric Tait. We do a Scottish game a season, and had a cracking day visiting Berwick. I know it's tough times at present, but really hope you stay up and enjoy better fortunes next season.

Statement released from the club basically letting us know Harvey isn’t going anywhere. 

Find it strange that we will find out the plans for next season and how we get out this cycle, yet it looks hugely likely we will be playing lowland league football next season. 

On to Peterhead then, hopefully Rory Shane, derek,Sco... They are all feeling unwell, maybe a dodgy pre match meal. 

1 hour ago, Muzza81 said:

Mr Harvey not happy about the tweet methinks?  Strange though as it takes some attention away from his teams awful run of results.

Must admit I feel he has been hugely influential in this. 

The club replies to the Twitter saga: https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-league-2/berwick-rangers-hit-back-twitter-15973135

Berwick Rangers have given their side of the story following the ousting of their Twitter admin.

On Tuesday we told how the club’s former social media expert Dom had been relieved of his duties after posting a tweet on the club's official account reading: "Ugly scenes in the dugout as Cowdenbeath's manager has just told Johnny Harvey to 'take his face for a sh*te' #BRFC."

The backlash on social media was swift, and on Wednesday Dom told us that he was grateful for the support he’d received on Twitter, saying: "It’s nice that people who understand social and comms have backed me up and I hope it’ll make the board realise it wasn’t a bad thing."

But now Berwick have hit back, with vice chairman John Bell contacting Football Scotland this morning to insist Dom refused to delete the tweet.

John said: "Dominic didn't part company because of the tweet so that's probably the single major issue.

"He declined to do something he was asked to do. On Saturday evening, some of the players and management team highlighted that this had gone out on Twitter. They felt that it would be more appropriate on an individual's account rather than the official club account, and that what goes on in the dugouts should be off limits.

"At 4.45 the club secretary and I had a word with Dominic, saying that in order to keep everybody at the club happy we should take the tweet off. That was the request.

"I was told by a friend on Sunday morning that the tweet was still on our site. I’d hoped this might be an error or they’d seen it somewhere else, so I emailed Dom asking if he had removed the tweet as per my request. He replied saying that he had taken the decision to keep the post up after Cowdenbeath's Twitter account shared it, and that like (Berwick Rangers manager) Johnny Harvey didn't need to justify his substitutions he didn't need to justify his decisions."

The vice chairman told us that Dom would still be tweeting for the club had he deleted the tweet. He said: "If he’d taken tweet off as requested he would still be in the role.

"The bottom line, in any walk of life, is if supervisor tells you to do something and it’s clear and concise, just get on with it and do it.

"It doesn't matter if you're the goalkeeper or programme seller. I'm a volunteer, as is everyone at the club apart from the groundsman. But ultimately there is a hierarchy, so everyone has to respect that.

"I’m a vice chairman, i’m a volunteer. But ultimately there is a heirarchy, so everyone has to respect that. I'm a youth worker by occupation for 30-odd years, and I'm in the business of trying to be as supportive to young people as possible. It’s my business to be encouraging to young people, and I love it when young people get involved, but sometimes they have to take a telling.

"Following Dom’s reply I consulted with the other five directors and club secretary on Monday. The consensus was that the situation couldn’t be recovered."

I have to see John's side of it. He was asked to do something and didn't. At the same time. Why has Johnny not had to answer for the numerous cock ups he's made this season.

The forum statement suggests we have Johnny till the end of the season and I honestly have no faith left in the man. Judging from his post match interview on Tuesday his whole demeanor has changed. He looks defeated as I think Berwick the unbeatable stated.

Bigger things to worry about than a spat between the board and the social media team.

I think reading johns statement it’s clear that it was Johnny that was unhappy with the tweet. ‘Some of the players and management team’ what player is going to be bothered by a tweet, half of them probably retweeded it. Likewise though not on when chairman asks for it to be removed regardless of the reasoning and he refused. 

After being vocal on the social media side

Perhaps a Chairman or indeed vice Chairman statement regarding the state of the football on the park, might be in order.

I remember a public apology earlier this season, Christ we must be due begging for forgiveness, 

18 hours ago, Ginaro said:

"It doesn't matter if you're the goalkeeper or programme seller. I'm a volunteer, as is everyone at the club apart from the groundsman. But ultimately there is a hierarchy, so everyone has to respect that.

This all started with that Chelsea keeper refusing to come off.

It's anarchy!

Dom has hit back: https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-league-2/berwick-rangers-twitter-admin-hits-15981960

The Berwick Rangers Twitter admin who was let go after a viral tweet has accused the club of not telling the whole story.

On Tuesday we reported that Dom had been relieved of his duties after posting a tweet which read "Ugly scenes in the dugout as Cowdenbeath's manager has just told Johnny Harvey to 'take his face for a sh*te' #BRFC."

On Wednesday the former admin told us of his dismay at the decision and attributed it to a "generational gap".

On Thursday Berwick's vice chairman John Bell contacted us to give his version of the events, telling us that it was "not an isolated incident" and that Dom was let go not because of the content of the tweet, but because he refused to remove it.

Today, Dom got in touch with Football Scotland to respond to the vice chairman's comments, clarify his actions and explain why he feels the publicity generated by the tweet was positive.

He told us: "John said that I was asked to remove the tweet at 4:45pm, but that's misleading. If you look back at the game updates, the match ended at 4:52pm. So unless the players were on Twitter whilst playing and he was running up the wing beside them, how could that be true?

"The truth is the conversation happened at almost 5:30pm. By this point the tweet had gathered in excess of 1,000 retweets, over 140,000 impressions, been in two newspapers and on the radio.

"The only logic John used during this initial conversation was that it needed to be deleted 'before anyone sees it'. I tried to explain that it had already been seen, screenshotted, shared and quoted and that it’s best to see it as what it was – a harmless laugh which shows a good side of Scottish football – and to make the most of the publicity and exposure for the club.

"At a time when the club is on the brink of relegation and making huge losses year on year, being talked about across the country in a positive light is clearly going to be beneficial for the club."

The vice chairman told us on Thursday that "On Saturday evening, some of the players and management team highlighted that this had gone out on Twitter. They felt that it would be more appropriate on an individual's account rather than the official club account, and that what goes on in the dugouts should be off limits."

In response to this, Dom said today: "For me, John’s comments that the players highlighted the tweet to him in the first place, before his friend informed him that it was still there the following day, highlights my point that there is a generational gap and the board are so disengaged, or disinterested, in social media.

"Having said that, the director with access to the accounts told me he didn’t see a problem with it. He would have been receiving the notifications as soon as the tweet went up too and didn’t feel the need to remove it. I appreciate the view that it can be seen as simply disobeying an order but as the club’s media manager, who provided updates at board meetings on all things digital on a regular basis, I thought I was trusted by the club as having the best judgement on social.

Given our demographic is around 60% males aged 18-35 and the board are all late 50s to early 60s, I often have to explain how we should proceed with things and this has always been successful. For clarification, I didn’t email John saying I 'didn’t have to' justify my actions, I said I 'shouldn’t have to' given what I’ve mentioned above, however I did proceed to justify the tweet anyway. It’s been nice for me to have so many people from within the sports communications industry saying the tweet was a great bit of work, despite John’s feelings on it.

"As a fan of the club I am extremely worried that the vice chairman opted to take the time to challenge a volunteer – who did 20+ hours of work a week without as much as a thank you – instead of focusing on the footballing aspect of the club.

"I feel there should have been a focus on questioning the SPFL's decision to award Albion Rovers a 3-0 win for Clyde fielding an ineligible player, an inconsistent decision given Peterhead v Ayr was replayed in similar circumstances a few years ago, as the club desperately try to maintain their professional league status. The club are justified to question the sporting integrity of this and should have been doing all they can to challenge the decision and take some pressure off our players. I can’t help but wonder what their priorities are.

"I have previously said that I tried to provide a bit of positivity with the club in such a bad place, but with no win since November, a very real prospect of relegation, growing unrest amongst supporters and now not even a little joke here and there, I am terrified about the future of my club."

Quite enjoying this saga, especially the bit where the vice chairman tells Dom to take the tweet down five minutes before the end of the match, so that no ones sees it. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Berwick Obama said:

For context, doesn’t the sacked twitter god also go by the name of Yellow Feet on here?

4 minutes ago, Berwick Obama said:

For context, doesn’t the sacked twitter god also go by the name of Yellow Feet on here?

Or is it yourself?

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

I feel there should have been a focus on questioning the SPFL's decision to award Albion Rovers a 3-0 win for Clyde fielding an ineligible player, an inconsistent decision given Peterhead v Ayr was replayed in similar circumstances a few years ago

Would be our typical luck if our appeal meant we had to go to Hampden again:angry:

3 hours ago, A Believer said:
3 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:
Spoke to Jimmy tonight. Think its fair to say he is not overly keen.

Leaves the door open for the hoardes of top managers Fergie1 tells us are jockeying for position. Form an orderly queue boys, one at a time.

You’ll have to direct me to the part where I said that mate. I do believe there is hoardes of managers out there who are far more capable than the current one though.

As I’ve said on another post, I’ll probably be more interested in what’s happening at Clifton hill tomorrow as I think will most. And will probably be the case most weeks until we play Albion  because I can’t see us picking up any points. Still waiting and hoping to be proved wrong. 

Just catching up on p and b after a busy week.

Quite funny this social media saga, the more Dom speaks, you just know the club have made the right decision. 

Questioning why John hasn’t spent more time appealing a decision to the SPFL sums up this joker. 

Why would the club want  to broadcast the current stage of proceedings. 

9 hours ago, Fergie1 said:

You’ll have to direct me to the part where I said that mate. I do believe there is hoardes of managers out there who are far more capable than the current one though.

As I’ve said on another post, I’ll probably be more interested in what’s happening at Clifton hill tomorrow as I think will most. And will probably be the case most weeks until we play Albion  because I can’t see us picking up any points. Still waiting and hoping to be proved wrong. 

Our games off