Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

I hate to say it but I think Albion might pick up another win this weekend. Cowden didn’t impress me much yesterday albeit they should have taken the 3 points and Albion will be brimming with confidence. If we don’t win on Tuesday I don’t see us getting another victory in which case the 3 points awarded to Albion will be irrelevant. 

7 minutes ago, Fergie1 said:

I hate to say it but I think Albion might pick up another win this weekend. Cowden didn’t impress me much yesterday albeit they should have taken the 3 points and Albion will be brimming with confidence. If we don’t win on Tuesday I don’t see us getting another victory in which case the 3 points awarded to Albion will be irrelevant. 

We were ok after we scored a bit more composed and carried a threat until half time thereafter second half was just a hard watch. Back 4 for Berwick for me looked suspect if the opposition play football &  not what I expected from reports but more than  able to cope with our poor second half hoofball tactics.

I have said on a number of occasions on games I've seen Albion look the better side, however its point that count.

In any event if Berwick or Albion end up in the play offs I would plan to travel and support either of them against whomever they face, and suspect a number of fellow Cowden fans would do likewise.

In all seriousness, Based on your poll if we can get a victory on Tuesday then excellent, stick by him and let’s all get behind him. But if we get beat I really do think he must go before saturdays game. There would be plenty of experienced managers out there out of a job who would probably love the job as a chance to prove themselves again. Whether that be on a short term basis long term, either way ensuring our league status is imperative. 1 or 2 wins is all it’s going to take it’s common knowledge across the footballing community a new manager can give a fresh spark, new lease of life whatever you want to call it and I think that happened when Jonny first arrived. 

Name one. A proper one, you know....not Coughlin.

1 hour ago, tescodave said:

Name one. A proper one, you know....not Coughlin.

Come on  seriously?? There’s managers out there who would bite your hand off to get back into the game. To be honest it’s pretty irrelevant anyway as the board will sit and hope for the best. 

4 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

Clear result, even if there are probably some malicious/non-serious votes in there;

https://www.strawpoll.me/17582287/r

Untitled.thumb.png.1e2e1453554bcfb073a86e962b6061d9.png

There’s about half a dozen Berwick supporters who post on here regularly, did you post it onto any social media platforms for a proper vote. 90 of them are probably Albion fans. 

There’s about half a dozen Berwick supporters who post on here regularly, did you post it onto any social media platforms for a proper vote. 90 of them are probably Albion fans. 

That’s about 75% of their match day attendance so doubt that!

I admit I did vote for Johnny to stay, purely for the comedy value.

8 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

Clear result, even if there are probably some malicious/non-serious votes in there;

https://www.strawpoll.me/17582287/r

Untitled.thumb.png.1e2e1453554bcfb073a86e962b6061d9.png

In a way, I'm embarrassed to have voted 'no' in this most meaningless of polls. I want Harvey to turn this around. Guess I'm guilty of the panic mentioned earlier. Several winnable games left, including and after tomorrow night, but still don't really see much improvement in the performances in 2019.

Meanwhile, back at admingate, the ruling opens the door for malicious manipulation of the League table. Supposing Team A wanted Team B to stay in the League rather than Team C (pals on the respective Boards or teams? Financial benefit from local derbies?) Well there is now a precedent for team A to literally gift Team B 3 points simply by not filling in some appropriate paperwork. 

Not suggesting it happened in this case, but the door is open to allow it in the future. The punishment surely has to be limited to Clyde. It cannot include benefit or punishment for innocent parties. For me the game should be replayed, but still with a 3 point deduction for Clyde whatever the outcome. 

13 minutes ago, Redcar said:

In a way, I'm embarrassed to have voted 'no' in this most meaningless of polls. I want Harvey to turn this around. Guess I'm guilty of the panic mentioned earlier. Several winnable games left, including and after tomorrow night, but still don't really see much improvement in the performances in 2019.

Meanwhile, back at admingate, the ruling opens the door for malicious manipulation of the League table. Supposing Team A wanted Team B to stay in the League rather than Team C (pals on the respective Boards or teams? Financial benefit from local derbies?) Well there is now a precedent for team A to literally gift Team B 3 points simply by not filling in some appropriate paperwork. 

Not suggesting it happened in this case, but the door is open to allow it in the future. The punishment surely has to be limited to Clyde. It cannot include benefit or punishment for innocent parties. For me the game should be replayed, but still with a 3 point deduction for Clyde whatever the outcome. 

That's a wee bit far fetched - it would require a very particular set of circumstances for that to enter anyone's head, imho.

Come on  seriously?? There’s managers out there who would bite your hand off to get back into the game. To be honest it’s pretty irrelevant anyway as the board will sit and hope for the best. 

I’m still waiting for a name though. One that’s realistic....

Or team A could just lose the game by not trying too hard. Albion Rovers and QP were injured parties here so of course you can also easily argue they should be beneficiaries.

1 hour ago, Redcar said:

The punishment surely has to be limited to Clyde. It cannot include benefit or punishment for innocent parties. For me the game should be replayed, but still with a 3 point deduction for Clyde whatever the outcome. 

I think Albion Rover’s being awarded a 3-0 victory is unfortunate for Berwick, but not unfair as such, as there is no other way around it.

We denied Rovers the chance to play us without a striker (although Fitzpatrick is barely a recognised striker himself, but was obviously preferred to the other options). However, if we replayed the game (especially with Goodwillie fit and available now) we could beat them by a larger margin and their goal difference would be harmed by the replay which would be unfair on Rovers.

Similarly, you would have to make us replay Queen’s Park who could potentially lose the point they originally gained from that match.

Incidentally, I voted in DB’s poll that you should not keep Harvey for the rest of the season. Obviously I don’t see much of Berwick but you don’t seem to have improved under him and, though the original mess of the season may not be his fault, the fact a truly woeful Rover’s side could catch you says it all.

I know that there may not be anyone obvious who could come in as manager, but I don't see how it could make things much worse either.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

The point is exactly that, we can’t get any worse. Talk of a knee jerk reaction is a nonsense also, we are talking about the survival of our club potentially. When we beat Albion 2-0 at home the gap after that game was 8 points. That gap is now 2 points. As ive said previously I will give the team my full backing and always will but tomorrow we play the team directly above us so with the exception of the penultimate game it’s our best hope of 3 points. If that doesn’t come I can’t see any other option than to change the manager. Again people will ask who do we bring in, that’s not really a question I can answer that’s down do the board to be actively looking as we speak for someone who could come in and see us over the line hopefully. 

17 hours ago, Fergie1 said:

There would be plenty of experienced managers out there out of a job who would probably love the job as a chance to prove themselves again. Whether that be on a short term basis long term

I know @tescodave has already picked up on this comment but you are seriously deluded if you believe this. Where are these experienced managers that you speak of, because I can't think of any. With the way sackings have gone in the lower leagues this season, the only name that I can think of who would tick this box is Stevie Aitken and if rumours are to believed, he wouldn't apply for jobs in League 2 that have already been vacant, most notably our own, so he's unlikely to jump at Berwick in their current state.

Now, say this experience guy is someone who has been out of the game for years...…….still can't think of anyone obvious, but say there is another Ian McCall lurking somewhere been waiting for a job for years, then chances are they are out of work for so long due to a) Their desire being non-existent or b) their reputation being in tatters, so why would they take a job, at this critical time, with a squad that supporters openly admit are terrible and take the chance or making his reputation even worse by taking you down?

If you were to sack your manager now, you will either have to appoint an unknown Junior/EoS manager again, delighted at managing a team within the senior leagues or appoint a Coach who is happy to be Caretaker until the end of the season as anyone with any kind of reputation wouldn't touch the job and would just hold out to the summer to see what came up then.

15 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

I know @tescodave has already picked up on this comment but you are seriously deluded if you believe this. Where are these experienced managers that you speak of, because I can't think of any. With the way sackings have gone in the lower leagues this season, the only name that I can think of who would tick this box is Stevie Aitken and if rumours are to believed, he wouldn't apply for jobs in League 2 that have already been vacant, most notably our own, so he's unlikely to jump at Berwick in their current state.

Now, say this experience guy is someone who has been out of the game for years...…….still can't think of anyone obvious, but say there is another Ian McCall lurking somewhere been waiting for a job for years, then chances are they are out of work for so long due to a) Their desire being non-existent or b) their reputation being in tatters, so why would they take a job, at this critical time, with a squad that supporters openly admit are terrible and take the chance or making his reputation even worse by taking you down?

If you were to sack your manager now, you will either have to appoint an unknown Junior/EoS manager again, delighted at managing a team within the senior leagues or appoint a Coach who is happy to be Caretaker until the end of the season as anyone with any kind of reputation wouldn't touch the job and would just hold out to the summer to see what came up then.

I’ve made this point A couple of times start reading back properly. 

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's a wee bit far fetched - it would require a very particular set of circumstances for that to enter anyone's head, imho.

Fair comment, but as a general principle no disciplinary process should have an outcome that punishes the innocent. 

1 minute ago, Redcar said:

Fair comment, but as a general principle no disciplinary process should have an outcome that punishes the innocent. 

I agree. Having read some of the comments, I'm a bit more inclined to see why the results were annulled and 3-0 wins awarded, but I'm not convinced that's the right way to go about it. What is the right way? I don't know.

6 minutes ago, Fergie1 said:

I’ve made this point A couple of times start reading back properly. 

But if you wanted an example of the top of my head what about somebody like John Hughes, his first senior club is in a real time of need. His last post at Raith Rovers over 2 years ago didn’t end well so would be an opportunity to get himself in the shop window again on a deal until the end of the season. Break the bank to bring him in Im sure he will still stay in Edinburgh so wouldn’t be any issues there. That might sound absolutely crazy and unrealistic, but I don’t see it that way because I really do fear for the future of the club if we go down. If we are already struggling financially what hope do we have without the money from the sfa, if we already struggle to attract players what hope do we have if we are in the lowland league. 

Abyway as I have also previously mentioned I think another 6 points will see us safe so if we can get a win tomorrow all panic will probably be forgotten ... until Saturday.