Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

Yeah,  four ground sharing, which may not be feasible if all were in the league. They don't actually have a ground.
Why wouldn't it be feasible? It works fine just now and plenty of teams have ground shared in the SPFL before.

Cowdenbeath don't own their ground either as do a number of other clubs.

1 hour ago, Jack Burton said:

Why wouldn't it be feasible? It works fine just now and plenty of teams have ground shared in the SPFL before.

Cowdenbeath don't own their ground either as do a number of other clubs.

It works if not too many teams do it. Also, why would the league encourage homeless teams to enter league 2?

Sure, we don't own our ground at the moment, but our case is a little bit more unusual. We didn't sell off our ground.

17 minutes ago, PELE said:

It works if not too many teams do it. Also, why would the league encourage homeless teams to enter league 2?

Sure, we don't own our ground at the moment, but our case is a little bit more unusual. We didn't sell off our ground.

Only the Shire sold off their ground (through one man’s greed) so these teams are closer to our situation than you are implying. If they have a ground they can play games at and it meets SPFL criteria let them in.

Yes seems more like trapdoorwatch here but some of the effect/possible effects of Pyramid could be - a quick 10

- More /large town/City teams in SPFL at expense of smaller towns - Edinburgh City, Spartans, Cove, East Kilbride

- Driven up SPFL League 2 wages by say £40k per annum per club - thus blaming clubs for not spending enough on player budget against peers come back to sustainability and it is not Directors job to inject cash. 

- Pressure to remove Scottish Cup entry for East, North and West junior league winners

- Lowland League will become stronger and eventually become a more viable operation but will take time re crowds/sponsors/quality, etc

- Highland League will not maintain parity with Lowland League in terms of foregoing - likely to be a weaker league

- Clubs relegated from SPFL will be badly hit in terms of finances, infrastructure, grounds that are too big to be economically maintained

- Gretna style clubs will be more likely - even Brora who played in the first playoff were being well-funded from external sources

- Likely to allow Colts into structure and enter SPFL

- A League 3 being created to allow a softer landing/safety net for SPFL clubs in terms of finance, etc - Lowland League area clubs will gain SPFL entry by this means - Highland League would not have parity in numbers allowed in.  Some promotion but some by election

- Play off would move to bottom club in League 3 - no auto promotion - but League to 2 would be akin to current L2 to 1

-  

1 hour ago, dougster said:

Dougie Brydon? , hmmm not sure what to make of that......

Surely he was a run of the mill "3rd Division" Defender with injury problems back in the day, which suggest he is possibly the same now?

Where has he been playing for the last few years? Junior I assume? Kind of strikes me as the same situation when you signed John Neill.

36 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Surely he was a run of the mill "3rd Division" Defender with injury problems back in the day, which suggest he is possibly the same now?

Where has he been playing for the last few years? Junior I assume? Kind of strikes me as the same situation when you signed John Neill.

Hence the hmmm.... 

3 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Yes seems more like trapdoorwatch here but some of the effect/possible effects of Pyramid could be - a quick 10

- Pressure to remove Scottish Cup entry for East, North and West junior league winners

Is this meant to be a bad thing?

1 minute ago, gogsy said:

The pressure may indeed come but mainly due to the fact that more clubs are going to get licenced in the near future thus possibly reducing the spaces in the qualifying rounds for non licensed clubs. Or the above league winners are in the pyramid system in the next 2-3 seasons then why would they be punted at the expense of Scottish Amateur cup/Eos league/SOS league winners/South and East Cup winners Shield ?

The juniors can’t stand outside the pyramid and expect to retain these places when many junior clubs have jumped ship and the juniors being accommodated in the senior Scottish Cup was in part designed to persuade them to support a coming together/pyramid for the good of the game in Scotland

28 minutes ago, gogsy said:

The juniors are trying to gain access to the pyramid at the moment the only argument is where the current East region junior teams will fit in . Heaven forbid some of the non league clubs including these junior clubs if some of them threaten Cowdenbeath's position in the SPFL.

Why - given Cowdenbeath were a club that supported the pyramid being created?  Thus Cowden helped give these teams the opportunity and incentive to get into the SPFL and the juniors standing aloof and not joining the pyramid was unwelcome - only belatedly are they coming on board with Kelty leading the way.  I think there are still a few more arguments to be settled than just where the remaining East teams will fit. 

Why - given Cowdenbeath were a club that supported the pyramid being created?  Thus Cowden helped give these teams the opportunity and incentive to get into the SPFL and the juniors standing aloof and not joining the pyramid was unwelcome - only belatedly are they coming on board with Kelty leading the way.  I think there are still a few more arguments to be settled than just where the remaining East teams will fit. 
Please take this to another thread guys. I do think we have enough of our own issues to consider here.

- Gretna style clubs will be more likely - even Brora who played in the first playoff were being well-funded from external sources

- Likely to allow Colts into structure and enter SPFL
- A League 3 being created to allow a softer landing/safety net for SPFL clubs in terms of finance, etc

Whilst you make several valid points, I’m not sure how a pyramid makes Gretna style clubs more likely. I doubt there are many clubs being funded by a sugar daddy desperately seeking a place in the holy grail (har har) of SPFL leagues 1 or 2.

The colts and league 3 thing is nothing to do with a pyramid either. Colts is a complete red line issue and should be treated as such by all lower leagues clubs despite how attractively it’s packaged.

1 minute ago, Clyde01 said:

Whilst you make several valid points, I’m not sure how a pyramid makes Gretna style clubs more likely. I doubt there are many clubs being funded by a sugar daddy desperately seeking a place in the holy grail (har har) of SPFL leagues 1 or 2.

The colts and league 3 thing is nothing to do with a pyramid either. Colts is a complete red line issue and should be treated as such by all lower leagues clubs despite how attractively it’s packaged.

Red line issues - often built on shifting stands and don't stand the test

Well a pyramid gives someone wanting to have a go at funding a la Gretna a clearer route to League status and beyond than previously existed

15 minutes ago, A Believer said:
56 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Please take this to another thread guys. I do think we have enough of our own issues to consider here.

Yeah fair enough

On Brydon I didn't realise he's only 31, seems an age since he was last playing for Berwick.

He's a gamble right enough but with how many goals conceded in last few matches he's no worse than what's back there now. Good height back there and you don't really lose technique, just depends on the physicality now. If he can commit and physically endure even just till the end of the season then it's better than nothing and touch wood is a decent signing.