Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

18 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Didn't say that. 

Everyone needs to attack and everyone needs to defend, but I think our biggest weakness is in the defensive part of midfield. We don't put enough pressure on in there when we haven't got the ball, and we lose it too easily when we have. 

Having said that, Brown is said to have had another good game there yesterday and it seems the gaffer tried Hume in there too. So, signs he is trying to sort it out. 

Touching on the gaffer... it’s about time he stops with the bulls*** in the interviews! 

We have conceded 18 goals in the last 6 games and scored 2, 2 in the last minutes of a game that Edinburgh city completely dominated and ran all over us also. He needs to stop banging on about how good the opposition are and take a bit responsibility. We are playing teams in the same league as us, granted they may have a bit extra quality in certain areas of the field but that doesn’t stop us from actually competing!! 

34 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Didn't say that. 

Everyone needs to attack and everyone needs to defend, but I think our biggest weakness is in the defensive part of midfield. We don't put enough pressure on in there when we haven't got the ball, and we lose it too easily when we have. 

Having said that, Brown is said to have had another good game there yesterday and it seems the gaffer tried Hume in there too. So, signs he is trying to sort it out. 

When we finished bottom the main problem was midfield. Teams just strolled through our midfield at the time. Our keeper and defence did their best, but could not perform miracles.

Touching on the gaffer... it’s about time he stops with the bulls*** in the interviews!  

We are playing teams in the same league as us, granted they may have a bit extra quality in certain areas of the field but that doesn’t stop us from actually competing!! 

The message I'm hearing is an honest assessment that we're improving, and continuing to ask for patience, as it'll take

time.

Equally, we've just played arguably the best 2 teams in the league, with demonstrably more cash than we do, so why not remind folks like you of that fact.

That honesty, passion and optimism is not everyone's cup of tea, I happen to applaud it.

And how can you say the players are not competing; I hope you mean in terms of player quality in some areas; but not in effort.

I see fantastic effort all over the pitch and, with the manager galvanizing belief in the dressing room, returning players and perhaps one or two new faces, I believe we'll move up a place or two in the weeks to come.

Having played Albion & Berwick in the last two weeks would say both teams are improving &  as far as I could see putting plenty effort into games. Compared to the game down at Berwick they were certainly more competitive & were getting forward much quicker & not faffing about at the back. Unless Queens Park continue to struggle it looks as if Berwick would be the only team in Rovers sights, as mentioned think both sides have improved but need to gain points as a result of it.

2 hours ago, A Believer said:

The message I'm hearing is an honest assessment that we're improving, and continuing to ask for patience, as it'll take

time.

Equally, we've just played arguably the best 2 teams in the league, with demonstrably more cash than we do, so why not remind folks like you of that fact.

That honesty, passion and optimism is not everyone's cup of tea, I happen to applaud it.

And how can you say the players are not competing; I hope you mean in terms of player quality in some areas; but not in effort.

I see fantastic effort all over the pitch and, with the manager galvanizing belief in the dressing room, returning players and perhaps one or two new faces, I believe we'll move up a place or two in the weeks to come.

Yeah because scoring 2 in the last 6 and conceding 18 is really improving, and the fact we have a worse goal scored and conceded average than the previous manager is also an improvement! Your spot on mate sorry. And before you hype on about we are playing a better style of football garbage, football is an objective sport and the objective is to score more goals than your opponents not play nicer football or have more possession. 

Yeah because scoring 2 in the last 6 and conceding 18 is really improving, and the fact we have a worse goal scored and conceded average than the previous manager is also an improvement! Your spot on mate sorry. And before you hype on about we are playing a better style of football garbage, football is an objective sport and the objective is to score more goals than your opponents not play nicer football or have more possession. 
"Equally, we've just played arguably the best 2 teams in the league, with demonstrably more cash than we do, so why not remind folks like you of that fact"

Was the above too complex for you? And thanks for putting words in my mouth; why would I say anything (or indeed use a large stringed instument) about a better style of fitba.
I agree about it being about winning games (obviously) I just trust Johnny's rhetoric about getting to a place where we will; where you appear to be irreversibly imprinted with Corporal Fraser genes.

12 minutes ago, A Believer said:

"Equally, we've just played arguably the best 2 teams in the league, with demonstrably more cash than we do, so why not remind folks like you of that fact"

Was the above too complex for you? And thanks for putting words in my mouth; why would I say anything (or indeed use a large stringed instument) about a better style of fitba.
I agree about it being about winning games (obviously) I just trust Johnny's rhetoric about getting to a place where we will; where you appear to be irreversibly imprinted with Corporal Fraser genes.

Again the cash comes into it. So as a fan of Berwick do we just sit and accept the fact we are getting humped every week because we don’t have any money. Players are still getting paid to play football some of who I would imagine are in the region of £200 a week to play football and the manager knows what he is coming into when taking over the job and that should be his job find a team to compete regardless of budgets. This manager has now brought in 6/7 players and as previously mentioned has a worse record than the previous manager. Sorry that I can’t find any hope or optimism.

Again the cash comes into it. So as a fan of Berwick do we just sit and accept the fact we are getting humped every week because we don’t have any money. Players are still getting paid to play football some of who I would imagine are in the region of £200 a week to play football and the manager knows what he is coming into when taking over the job and that should be his job find a team to compete regardless of budgets. This manager has now brought in 6/7 players and as previously mentioned has a worse record than the previous manager. Sorry that I can’t find any hope or optimism.
I take your points; I'm not accepting our position, and clearly neither is the manager nor, I suspect, the boards. Another point we agree on is money comes into it; which is why anything from matches v Peterheid, Clyde or Edinburgh is tough, given respective budgets. This season, unfortunately isn't about what we take from these teams; it's more, as you know, about what we take from the teams in our third.

I think we will consolidate, by taking points off teams in our third, and with development of what we have (as I think the 6/7 New players deserve time - reference Johnny's interviews..) praying we don't get any more injuries and a few new faces, next season will bring a higher target.

You seem to want immediate improvement, I think this is where we fundamentally differ, I DO accept immediate improvement (to a team that can compete with the top third) is not a reasonable goal right now, where improvement v our third is; surely you can see that?

12 minutes ago, A Believer said:

I take your points; I'm not accepting our position, and clearly neither is the manager nor, I suspect, the boards. Another point we agree on is money comes into it; which is why anything from matches v Peterheid, Clyde or Edinburgh is tough, given respective budgets. This season, unfortunately isn't about what we take from these teams; it's more, as you know, about what we take from the teams in our third.

I think we will consolidate, by taking points off teams in our third, and with development of what we have (as I think the 6/7 New players deserve time - reference Johnny's interviews..) praying we don't get any more injuries and a few new faces, next season will bring a higher target.

You seem to want immediate improvement, I think this is where we fundamentally differ, I DO accept immediate improvement (to a team that can compete with the top third) is not a reasonable goal right now, where improvement v our third is; surely you can see that?

Ok so if you take the top three out the equation (even though I don’t actually agree on the money situation I think you just need to look at the 2 teams who were promoted last year, I would imagine they had significantly less budgets than the same three teams last year) , in the current managers reign we have been beaten twice of cowden, and absolutely battered of Annan and Stirling. 

And unfortunately time isn’t something that’s on our hands at the moment because unlike us Albion seem to have improved quite a bit under new manager and are only 7 points behind us with a game in hand and we still play each other twice. 

Just touching on the immediate impact I think when you look at it, Berwick Stirling and Albion all changed managers around a similar time and in a similar league position, Stirling now pushing for a play off spot and Albion joe breathing down our necks. 

I can't blame Harvey for anything; this season has been a shambles from the start, he came in under tough circumstances to inherit a squad that lacked cohesion and quality, suffering from bad morale and weekly beatings.  Yes, Stirling and Albion Rovers seem to have improved more under their new managers than we have under ours, but then there is no point in comparing as all three clubs started on unequal footing.

You need time to galvanize a squad and get familiar with a new style of play - I appreciate that we might noth ave much time but it's better than panicking (even more) and trying to shithouse our way to safety. We've fired two managers that, I truly believe, were capable of good results, and we've been worse off as a result. Hoping that the third time will be the charm would be slightly naive at best

I mentioned being happy with 8th place in 18/19 on the very first page of this thread, but now I'd snatch your hand off if you offered a guaranteed 9th place finish. Just let this season be over as quick as possible.

Ok so if you take the top three out the equation (even though I don’t actually agree on the money situation I think you just need to look at the 2 teams who were promoted last year, I would imagine they had significantly less budgets than the same three teams last year) , in the current managers reign we have been beaten twice of cowden, and absolutely battered of Annan and Stirling. 
And unfortunately time isn’t something that’s on our hands at the moment because unlike us Albion seem to have improved quite a bit under new manager and are only 7 points behind us with a game in hand and we still play each other twice. 
Just touching on the immediate impact I think when you look at it, Berwick Stirling and Albion all changed managers around a similar time and in a similar league position, Stirling now pushing for a play off spot and Albion joe breathing down our necks. 

Now, so the top 3 are 11 and 16 points ahead of the nearest challenger due to better managers and harder working players? Please, the financial model is the major factor.

And The Bino's being 7 points behind, even with a game in hand is hardly breathing down our necks; or are we breathing down QP's necks for 8th? Not being complacent; but really Private Frazer!? [emoji6][emoji4]

May I ask, if Johnny's positivity and his plans (to develop, get players back: fit and perhaps add a few more) are not good enough for you, can you lay-out your plan that would be better? I'm all ears; the size of Jodrell Bank dishes.

Not quite getting this.

Albion Rovers under Harper have earned 3 points from 3 draws.

Berwick under Harvey have 8 points including 2 wins, one against Albion Rovers.

How have Albion improved more under their new manager? we’ve extended the gap by a further 5 points since changes. 

We’ve also played games missing numerous key players through injury and suspension. 

Let's face it Johnny Harvey is only good for spouting shite in club interviews and you sad deluded Berwick fuckwits lap it up.  His record is worse than the manager you sacked. Only one speaking sense amongst you is Fergie. 

3 hours ago, A Believer said:

Now, so the top 3 are 11 and 16 points ahead of the nearest challenger due to better managers and harder working players? Please, the financial model is the major factor.

And The Bino's being 7 points behind, even with a game in hand is hardly breathing down our necks; or are we breathing down QP's necks for 8th? Not being complacent; but really Private Frazer!? emoji6.pngemoji4.png

May I ask, if Johnny's positivity and his plans (to develop, get players back: fit and perhaps add a few more) are not good enough for you, can you lay-out your plan that would be better? I'm all ears; the size of Jodrell Bank dishes.

If their budgets are such a major factor then you could argue that a better manager for these teams (Peterhead and Clyde)  as well would mean they wouldn’t currently be in this league they would have been promoted and stayed in league 1 or better. as I referred to earlier and I’ll repeat, what about Montrose and Stenhousemuir last year?  The same three teams had similar budgets to what they have now.

Of course manager plays a huge part. 

Sorry for being concerned regarding my clubs current situation and failing to see any real improvement since the manager has came in. 

Hopefully we will get a better picure this weekend then if every1 believes the top 3 are so superior. 

And let’s pray Albion don’t get anything at home to Stirling. 

2 hours ago, CowdenPhil said:

Let's face it Johnny Harvey is only good for spouting shite in club interviews and you sad deluded Berwick fuckwits lap it up.  His record is worse than the manager you sacked. Only one speaking sense amongst you is Fergie. 

Johnny looks like you got yourself a  bunny boiler, obsessed 

The arbiter of sense is fi Cowden; I think not...is your supervised weekend license no up in about an hour? Best get posting.

On 20-1-2019 at 20:42, CowdenPhil said:

What drives a man to go into a hostile thread purely to ineffectively harp on about a manager trying to boost morale with some positivity? I know hope and  a clear vision for the future have been alien concepts in Cowden in recent years, but ffs get a grip of yourself.

Never mind that Robbie Horn resigned, which remains the official manner of departure.