Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

1 hour ago, dougster said:

Blaming the manager is the easiest of all options, isnt  it?  

What about Stirling Albion? There manager took over there around a similar time to Johnny, they were below us in the league and are now a few points of play off spot... 

don’t think he brought in half as many players as Jonny has either. 

27 minutes ago, Fergie1 said:

What about Stirling Albion? There manager took over there around a similar time to Johnny, they were below us in the league and are now a few points of play off spot... 

don’t think he brought in half as many players as Jonny has either. 

I say again the problem isn’t the manager, we have under  achieved for the last 3 seasons with 3 different managers one given a new contract two months before he left. The problem Is much deeper than just replacing another manager. And if it is you have to ask who employed him? 

There is a lot of work to be done with our squad. It’s very early days and the priority at the end of this window is to ensure we have enough to stay up.

Agree with Redcar on the Healy debate. He’s been excellent and he has improved massively in four months of senior football.  Had you put Goodwillie, McAllister or Henderson in our team in place of Healy, their goal return wouldn’t have been much greater. He’s young and getting better with every game. We need attacking options to play off him and hopefully get See fully fit.  We were a much poorer team while Healy was injured.

Brennan is ok and no better but Allison has done well so far.

Forbes has done well in the right back position and looks a good signing.

Not sure about the centre of our defence. Regardless who else comes in, I’d keep Cook. He is young and on an upward curve.

A new left back should be a priority. Orru can’t pass and can’t defend. He goes on one run a game and everyone’s thinks he is a world beater. He is a liability. 

Midfield is getting there although Knox has to play central as he doesn’t have the legs to play in a wide position. Brown needs to continue his good form and Barr is a terrific player. Lots of energy and craft, he’ll only get better. Murphy looked good early season, I’d like to see him get a run when he is fully fit.

What we need is a leader with league experience and at least one other who has played at a decent level to bolster the squad. 

I like the managers brave calls and he has confidence in his own ability to get a squad he wants. We are in a  precarious position but confident we will survive and get stronger next season. 

Budget is fine and no excuse. 

Hopefully Saturday goes ahead and we get it out the way  before a run of more winnable games. 

Dougie, you seem to have a real problem with the board. There’s only five directors now and all pulling in the right direction. I took a football administrator and a guy that owns a huge drilling business on Saturday and they both commented on how good the hospitality from the board was. This can only help attract future sponsors. 

Edited by Disc Potato

1 hour ago, dougster said:

I say again the problem isn’t the manager, we have under  achieved for the last 3 seasons with 3 different managers one given a new contract two months before he left. The problem Is much deeper than just replacing another manager. And if it is you have to ask who employed him? 

Berwick have underachieved?

Where exactly should they be in your opinion?

38 minutes ago, Disc Potato said:

There is a lot of work to be done with our squad. It’s very early days and the priority at the end of this window is to ensure we have enough to stay up.

Agree with Redcar on the Healy debate. He’s been excellent and he has improved massively in four months of senior football.  Had you put Goodwillie, McAllister or Henderson in our team in place of Healy, their goal return wouldn’t have been much greater. He’s young and getting better with every game. We need attacking options to play off him and hopefully get See fully fit.  We were a much poorer team while Healy was injured.

Brennan is ok and no better but Allison has done well so far.

Forbes has done well in the right back position and looks a good signing.

Not sure about the centre of our defence. Regardless who else comes in, I’d keep Cook. He is young and on an upward curve.

A new left back should be a priority. Orru can’t pass and can’t defend. He goes on one run a game and everyone’s thinks he is a world beater. He is a liability. 

Midfield is getting there although Knox has to play central as he doesn’t have the legs to play in a wide position. Brown needs to continue his good form and Barr is a terrific player. Lots of energy and craft, he’ll only get better. Murphy looked good early season, I’d like to see him get a run when he is fully fit.

What we need is a leader with league experience and at least one other who has played at a decent level to bolster the squad. 

I like the managers brave calls and he has confidence in his own ability to get a squad he wants. We are in a  precarious position but confident we will survive and get stronger next season. 

Budget is fine and no excuse. 

Hopefully Saturday goes ahead and we get it out the way  before a run of more winnable games. 

Dougie, you seem to have a real problem with the board. There’s only five directors now and all pulling in the right direction. I took a football administrator and a guy that owns a huge drilling business on Saturday and they both commented on how good the hospitality from the board was. This can only help attract future sponsors. 

I just don't think the manager should be taking all the stick for the current predicament of the club. I think it's a fair assessment to say the board are as culpable as the manager and players for the recent results. 

28 minutes ago, big al said:

Berwick have underachieved?

Where exactly should they be in your opinion?

Like all fans, BA, i just would like to see my club competing in the league getting as high as we can lke you guys are doing this season. Finishing in the bottom 3 for  3 seasons on the trot is  not acceptable , maybe you have  different expectations from me.  

We are still suffering from the cringe worthy Boardroom battle at the start of the season. I think we now have a decent Board (that will get better with the right additions), a good manager and several quality players. 

Sadly, we don't have 11 quality players. I hope that there will be replacements for the 3 that left today and I hope they are all genetically manufactured using DNA from Martin Neil, Steve Notman and Dave Smith. Would not be surprised to see others leaving too. O'Kane? Murrell? 

I agree that Orru is a poor defender, but he is decent further up the pitch. Wasn't particularly impressed with Valentine's debut last week, but hey, early days for him. Mcilduff is a better bet for left back in my opinion. 

Combinations of Barr, Healey, Knox, See and Willis give our attack an infinitely better look than for some time. Remember, Ogilvie, Murrell and Hurst have had a lot of starts recently due to injuries. 

What does worry me though, is the improvement in the form of Albion Rovers. We have to at least match it. 

Since 1st December according to BBC  stats. 

Shots by us = 44

Shots against us = 146.

We get overrun in every single game. There can't be many teams in the UK with a record as shite as that. 

Albion's is 36-75

43 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Shots by us = 44

Shots against us = 146.

We get overrun in every single game. There can't be many teams in the UK with a record as shite as that. 

Albion's is 36-75

Although I have admittedly not found any similar record in the British Isles, we can rest assured there is at least one continental team doing worse than us; the well-known behemoths of Bulgarian football, FK Vereya Stara Zagora

Untitled.png.aba9757bfe26f5b80efbdbdeafcf2e3e.png

22 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

Although I have admittedly not found any similar record in the British Isles, we can rest assured there is at least one continental team doing worse than us; the well-known behemoths of Bulgarian football, FK Vereya Stara Zagora

Untitled.png.aba9757bfe26f5b80efbdbdeafcf2e3e.png

With Redcar's fishing fleet not what it was, I wasn't there today. The stats were poor, but having just watched the gaffers Post-match interview, I take some heart from that. 

Must pick up some points in the next few weeks thought, starting at Hampden. 

17 hours ago, Redcar said:

Shots by us = 44

Shots against us = 146.

Albion's is 36-75

Stats are ridiculous, and yet you think the number of shots Against us is down to a poor defence, surely the amount of shots against us says a lot more about the fact the ball doesn’t stick when it goes beyond the half way line and the midfield is terrible, with the possible exception of Barr. It is inevitable that we are going to concede the amount of goals we are when the pressure on our goal is relentless. Going back to the point I made about the keeper situation as well that’s 3 free kicks Allison has conceded in last 2 games... 

35 minutes ago, Fergie1 said:

Stats are ridiculous, and yet you think the number of shots Against us is down to a poor defence, surely the amount of shots against us says a lot more about the fact the ball doesn’t stick when it goes beyond the half way line and the midfield is terrible, with the possible exception of Barr. It is inevitable that we are going to concede the amount of goals we are when the pressure on our goal is relentless. Going back to the point I made about the keeper situation as well that’s 3 free kicks Allison has conceded in last 2 games... 

Didn't say that. 

Everyone needs to attack and everyone needs to defend, but I think our biggest weakness is in the defensive part of midfield. We don't put enough pressure on in there when we haven't got the ball, and we lose it too easily when we have. 

Having said that, Brown is said to have had another good game there yesterday and it seems the gaffer tried Hume in there too. So, signs he is trying to sort it out.