Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 18:41, dreamteamer said:

Striker Mathew Knox (19) signed from Livingston until the end of the season.....

Not a striker...this loan spell could make or break his career. He seems to have been around for ages and has had trials at Man Utd and Rangers with supposed interest from Liverpool and Spurs amongst others but has never really done anything in a Livi shirt except one free kick delivery where Halkett scored a winner against Rangers. Seems to have a bit of an attitude problem so hopefully he can knuckle down and get things sorted in the second half of the season. Wouldn't hold out too much hope that he'll do a job for you though as he's never really shown any sort of fight or determination at Livi

17 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

I've just clicked that Kyle Allison is the goalie that we had almost a decade ago and I thought he looked pretty good.  Glad to hear though that he's chucking goals in for you guys now ;):lol: 

Had a great few seasons at Kelty before moving on. Should do a decent job at L2 level I think 

15 minutes ago, leomessi1984 said:

Had a great few seasons at Kelty before moving on. Should do a decent job at L2 level I think 

We had a quality goalie in Brennan with hibs reserve goalie for back up not sure a goalie was an area that needed addressed, sure the team has leaked a lot more goals under the new manager yet he has brought in his own goalie, right back and centre half. For me we are absolutely toothless going forward, that’s where I would have liked to have seen us strengthen. Healy does a lot of running which a lot of fans seem to like but if u look at the bigger picture he never holds the ball and brings midfield into play and also relieveing some pressure he always just flicks on balls to opposition centre half’s 

6 hours ago, Fisherman said:

So what happened with Chris Hamilton? Never got a game and now back at Hearts. Can't believe that he wasn't good enough to get a game

I agree. In the few games he played he looked really good, but Johnny Harvey just wouldn't pick him even when we were down to the bones with injuries. 

Guess he had his reasons but they're not immediately obvious. 

3 hours ago, Fergie1 said:

We had a quality goalie in Brennan with hibs reserve goalie for back up not sure a goalie was an area that needed addressed, sure the team has leaked a lot more goals under the new manager yet he has brought in his own goalie, right back and centre half. For me we are absolutely toothless going forward, that’s where I would have liked to have seen us strengthen. Healy does a lot of running which a lot of fans seem to like but if u look at the bigger picture he never holds the ball and brings midfield into play and also relieveing some pressure he always just flicks on balls to opposition centre half’s 

Disagree completely. 

Yeah, we've been awful up front for a long time, but Healey, See, Knox, Barr and Willis is much more promising. Some of them have played only a handful of games between them so if they stay fit there are good attacking options. 

Healey holds the ball up well when it's played to feet and he wins his headers. 

We have conceded nearly 50 goals in half a season. It is excruciatingly bad and is down to the crap passing and ball retention by our defenders and defensive midfielders. 

On 15/01/2019 at 14:05, Redcar said:

Disagree completely. 

Yeah, we've been awful up front for a long time, but Healey, See, Knox, Barr and Willis is much more promising. Some of them have played only a handful of games between them so if they stay fit there are good attacking options. 

Healey holds the ball up well when it's played to feet and he wins his headers. 

We have conceded nearly 50 goals in half a season. It is excruciatingly bad and is down to the crap passing and ball retention by our defenders and defensive midfielders. 

He wins headers to no avail though and I’ve yet to see him hold up the ball well granted he works hard but that’s no use. How many goals has he scored this season???  

With the exception of the Edinburgh city game ( 2 goals in last 3 mins) we haven’t scored in the last 5 outings! Granted some players have been out injured etc. But please don’t try and tell me the reason Berwick have conceded so many goals is purely down to the defence and defensive midfielders what a lot of nonsense, some of the relentless pressure Berwick have been under this season is incredible and that is due to the midfield as a whole gettin ran all over and then when the ball does go up top it doesn’t stick and is right back on top of them. 

Theres a reason the top three are at the top and it’s because of there strikers!! 

My point is we are crying out for attacking options and the new managers first signings where 2 defenders and a goalkeeper, and yet we have conceded more goals under his tenure. Surely that money spent on those 3  could have got us a decent striker or 2! 

It's 'their' strikers, and in Goodwillie and McAlistair you have two strikers playing way below their level.  We can't compete with the current top 3, moneywise or playing staff. we should be able to compete with the likes of Annan though and we are not.  I'm going say something controversial here. To start going on about the manager is one, premature, and two if we get rid, nothing fundamentally will change.

A good start would be to stop the free bar for certain directors so maybe they would be sober enough to see what's happening on the pitch. 

Digging out the tin hat as you read this 

2 hours ago, dougster said:

It's 'their' strikers, and in Goodwillie and McAlistair you have two strikers playing way below their level.  We can't compete with the current top 3, moneywise or playing staff. we should be able to compete with the likes of Annan though and we are not.  I'm going say something controversial here. To start going on about the manager is one, premature, and two if we get rid, nothing fundamentally will change.

A good start would be to stop the free bar for certain directors so maybe they would be sober enough to see what's happening on the pitch. 

Digging out the tin hat as you read this 

Everyone keeps banging on about budgets, but what about Montrose budget last year compared to the rest. What about Arbroath in league 1, what about Hamilton, Livingston in the spl, it’s an easy cop out!! 

2 minutes ago, Fergie1 said:

Everyone keeps banging on about budgets, but what about Montrose budget last year compared to the rest. What about Arbroath in league 1, what about Hamilton, Livingston in the spl, it’s an easy cop out!! 

The answer is often to be lucky enough to sign up a good manager who is looking for a way back to the decent jobs. Gus McPherson turned us from being the worst side we’ve been in 150 years to promotion within 18 months. Lennon’s doing a great job at Clyde.

7 hours ago, Fergie1 said:

As is blaming the manager.......

Berwick Rangers have today released three players by mutual consent, namely Gary Phillips, Jamie Todd and John Neill. Manager Johnny Harvey said “I’d like to thank Gary, Jamie and John for their contribution to the Club, and wish them well in whatever direction their future career takes them.

It’s been pretty apparent to me, the Board and our fans that we need to make some changes at the Club going forward for this season and next, and inevitably that means players leaving to create space for new faces.

We acted as soon as we could to bring in Andy Forbes, Craig Hume and Lewis Barr, who are now contracted to the Club until June 2020. I can assure everyone connected with Berwick Rangers that we’re making every effort to attract the quality that we need to improve our squad and retain our best talent for the future.”

All the best for Gary, Jamie, and John. Unavoidable to have to cut players when you've got this many in the squad.

3 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

All the best for Gary, Jamie, and John. Unavoidable to have to cut players when you've got this many in the squad.

I’m not surprised to see Gary and John move on think they’re best years are behind them. As for Jamie that one is a surprise to me, IMO he was the best defender we had. We are leaking far more goals under the new manager and Todd never played 1 game for him? Strange 1 that.