Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

Club Statement

Recent events concerning the governance of Berwick Rangers FC have proved a significant distraction in our preparations for the new season. At the most recent meeting of the Board of Directors, an attempt was made to remove the Chairman, Len Eyre, by a small number of individuals using the proxy votes of others not present at the meeting. They subsequently issued a statement after the meeting which could be deemed as scurrilous, casting unjustified doubt on the integrity of Mr. Eyre. There is no substance for any suggestion of misconduct, and the Board do not have any concerns about Mr Eyre’s continued occupation of the role of Chairman.

Legal advice has shown the process to be invalid, and the decisions made do not stand. Mr Eyre therefore remains the Chairman of the Football Club.

The two largest shareholders in the Club, namely the Supporters Trust and the Supporters Club, met this week to discuss initiating a formal resolution to remove five named  Directors at a specially convened EGM.  Before an EGM could be called, three of the five, Douglas Watkin, David Hamilton and Lesley Hood, resigned their positions.

Shareholders and Supporters may expect further announcements regarding the composition of the Board going forward.

Our SPFL League Two season starts tomorrow (Saturday 4th August) with the visit of Stirling Albion to Shielfield Park, and we ask all our fans to give their utmost support to Robbie Horn and the team.

1 hour ago, dougster said:

You seem to have your sources good for you. I can’t comment on the directors that have left, I certainly won’t dish their abilities as you have on an open forum. I’m concerned that we are 1 Day away from the start of the season and we’ve lost a chairman, an interm chairman and 3 directors. You might think that’s ok, I don’t. When you get your nose out of Maclaren’s arse, have a look at what we have left, the same people in charge who’ve seen the worst two seasons we have had in a long time, if that’s not reason for concern I don’t know what is. I hope they prove me wrong 

You asked for an explanation, I gave you a very honest view on my thoughts as to what has happened.

This is best left here.

11 hours ago, Disc Potato said:

The 3 directors that have left were seen to be operating as a board within a board and leading the club into obliviation.

One a sheep farmer another that works in PR were turning up at training and criticising  the coaching. They are nicely qualified to do this.

Other ludicrous decisions have been made by them, such as removal of the stair lift and over turning decisions when other directors have left the country, this caused major unrest in the town.

Their decision to leave has created vacancies on the board which will allow more able directors to be appointed and also bring harmony to the boardroom. This in itself should bring a lot more stability and guidance to the football club.

The disruption has helped bring the two main supporters groups together which will also benefit the club moving forward.

The management team may also feel a little more comfortable without big brother watching how they were training the players. 

Murray "missing" McLaren is the longest serving director on the board and invested a lot of time and money into the club. He has stepped forward with cash when the club have needed it most. He has also been responsible for finding previous shirt sponsors and bringing other revenue into the club through his business contacts. He's due a little more respect. 

3 down, 2 to go, then it's time to start looking to the future with a little more optimisim. 

If Directors are regularly at training and making adverse comments then having a Director of Football makes sense to give a layer of protection to the Manager and his staff. 

I am really sorry. We've been going through all this for over a year now at Stirling and it's been a nightmare. I've always known the Berwick fans to be a good and decent bunch of people, who'll be nice to you if you're nice to them.  I wouldn't wish this crap on them.  Eventually we'll come out of it when the bodies have finished hitting the floor.  Hopefully it won't be anywhere near as bad, or prolonged for you.

In our case it was kicked off by the most incompetent assassin's in history.  All they've succeeded in doing, is assassinating themselves and everybody who supported them.  About the only man still standing is the man they tried to assassinate in the first place.  With any luck your assassin's won't be any more competent.   What a lot of fuckwits learned at Stirling is, that the only ally worth having is the supporters.  I'm sure you'll deliver the same message with equal force.

All the best to you all, but meanwhile we've got a match to play out.  One thing I've learned, is never disrespect the opposition.  So, respect, ladies and gentlemen of the black and gold. Let's get to the game.

I am really sorry. We've been going through all this for over a year now at Stirling and it's been a nightmare. I've always known the Berwick fans to be a good and decent bunch of people, who'll be nice to you if you're nice to them.  I wouldn't wish this crap on them.  Eventually we'll come out of it when the bodies have finished hitting the floor.  Hopefully it won't be anywhere near as bad, or prolonged for you.
In our case it was kicked off by the most incompetent assassin's in history.  All they've succeeded in doing, is assassinating themselves and everybody who supported them.  About the only man still standing is the man they tried to assassinate in the first place.  With any luck your assassin's won't be any more competent.   What a lot of fuckwits learned at Stirling is, that the only ally worth having is the supporters.  I'm sure you'll deliver the same message with equal force.
All the best to you all, but meanwhile we've got a match to play out.  One thing I've learned, is never disrespect the opposition.  So, respect, ladies and gentlemen of the black and gold. Let's get to the game.
What's the story here - is Brown the good guy? Seemed sound enough to me a few years back.

3 hours ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:
On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 00:05, WC Boggs said:

What's the story here - is Brown the good guy? Seemed sound enough to me a few years back.

It's all gone on too long to give a simple answer.  Two boards clashing,  alpha males on both clashing.  It all got too personal.  The trust board went too far in pursuit of Brown on the exec board and did it without the consent of their membership, ergo the fans. They also parachuted somebody in as their chairman and the membership objected to it. Result, some trust board members resigned, rather than be associated with it and the rest were facing a no confidence vote by their own members. They duly staged a theatrical walkout at a meeting and gave fan abuse and intimidation, as an excuse for not facing that vote. That excuse was of course, total crap.

On top of that there was an investment bid for control, sparked by the internal civil war. The same people went to war over that too. Then the exec board went to war with itself over the investment control bid. Even fans who had issues with Stuart Brown, backed him rather than the people obsessed with getting him, from the beginning.  Stuart's not a bad guy at all, but was lucky not to get his head on a spike, for wanting Martyn Corrigan to replace Stuart McLaren as manager.  That's the condensed, sanitised version.  The whole thing would go into volumes. By now just about every body has hit the floor except Stuart Brown's.  He does want to step down, as he's been put through hell, but not until he can leave a stable club behind him. Trust me, you never want to experience anything like it at Berwick.

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 18:34, ShiPi said:

having a Director of Football makes sense to give a layer of protection to the Manager and his staff. 

According to the local paper Graham Bell and Eric Tait have also resigned from the Board.

Does this mean we're without a Director of Football again, or is the one not dependant on the other?

7 hours ago, Blue White Dynamite said:

PenicuikAthTV’s Talking Points highlights of Tuesday night’s friendly

Some production value.

The two resignations are further good news. The appointment of a DoF was a hilariously tragic decision. Time to get fresh blood in now.

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

According to the local paper Graham Bell and Eric Tait have also resigned from the Board.

Does this mean we're without a Director of Football again, or is the one not dependant on the other?

Do you really need a director of football in League Two? Take its that's how Dennis was doing the interviews on BRTV at the weekend, wonder if Eric's still doing his OPTA gig that's probably a nice paying wee job.

This has been going on for years, too many wanting to be chiefs and all fighting against themselves, they did not appreciate when things were good, they all knew how to make the club better. This is the worst team (on and off the pitch) that I can ever remember and the atmosphere is toxic around the club. I don't even go into the town now never mind go to the matches, hopefully someone will take over this situation and put the club first not their inflated ego and desire to me somebody.

Guest Landan Spiv
7 hours ago, hughj said:

This has been going on for years, too many wanting to be chiefs and all fighting against themselves, they did not appreciate when things were good, they all knew how to make the club better. This is the worst team (on and off the pitch) that I can ever remember and the atmosphere is toxic around the club. I don't even go into the town now never mind go to the matches, hopefully someone will take over this situation and put the club first not their inflated ego and desire to me somebody.

So you don't even go into your own town because there's a toxic atmosphere at your football club which isn't even in the town centre. 

Wow get a grip mate. I'm pretty sure Berwick Rangers aren't discussed in Iceland or Poundland on the high Street on any day of the week 

Club Statement

Further changes to the Berwick Rangers FC Boardroom have been confirmed this week with Eric Tait and Graham Bell stepping down as Directors from the roles of Director of Football and Commercial Director respectively.

Ian Beresford and George Mathison have joined the Board as Full Directors.

Ian was previously involved as an Associate and has now joined the Board as a Full Director.

George is a Banker and originally from Horncliffe, he is a life long supporter of Berwick Rangers Football Club and will bring his fund raising skills to the Club.

Two new signings today. Jack Ogilvie on loan from Livi (hope he's as good as Jack Hamilton) and John Neil ex-Clyde.

Both midfield or attack and should figure tonight v Airdrie.