Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

2 hours ago, Disc Potato said:

Wasn't as clear cut as the score suggests but a decent win on a tricky pitch. Murrell scored from the edge of the box with a lovely strike. Second was a deflected Healy shot. Two trialist's started but overall didn't convince. Excellent performances from Jack Cook (MOTM) and Gary Phillips.  

A win and a clean sheet is pleasing.

Cook could be a big player for us this season.

1 hour ago, Redcar said:

A win and a clean sheet is pleasing.

Cook could be a big player for us this season.

In all fairness they are a decent team, plenty of credit due their way. Cowden only beat them 1-0. The gap has closed in recent years.

Would like to see Cook retain his place in back three rather than RB but agree with you about his input this season.

Great competition for No1 spot, impressed with both goalkeepers. 

Murphy could be a gem, already see him growing in confidence. Finds space well and glides past defenders. 

With a couple more additions, we can progress. 

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?
Yes. Part of me is grateful for the absolute slapping we're currently getting off one or the division's bang average sides. It should hopefully wake the blind faith club that have been frequenting this thread over the summer and alert em to the fact without urgent investment, we're heading for non league football. You'd hope it'd do the same for our board, but who knows if they'll be paying attention to the football or busy writing the next chapter of a long running comedy.

The line up tonight is sadly indicative of just how absolutely shite we are. It isn't the fault of any of those players who I'm sure will give their all, nor Horn, who is doing all he can with a very much limited set of resources. I'm actually still confident there's no better person for the job - we need someone who knows and loves the club. But without backing, I don't think we stand a chance. Expect to see us panicking and paying over the odds for some absolute shite in January followed by the ultra hilarious appointment of Eric Tait who'll take us down. Strap yourself in for a hysterical farewell ride.

4 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Yes. Part of me is grateful for the absolute slapping we're currently getting off one or the division's bang average sides. It should hopefully wake the blind faith club that have been frequenting this thread over the summer and alert em to the fact without urgent investment, we're heading for non league football. You'd hope it'd do the same for our board, but who knows if they'll be paying attention to the football or busy writing the next chapter of a long running comedy.

The line up tonight is sadly indicative of just how absolutely shite we are. It isn't the fault of any of those players who I'm sure will give their all, nor Horn, who is doing all he can with a very much limited set of resources. I'm actually still confident there's no better person for the job - we need someone who knows and loves the club. But without backing, I don't think we stand a chance. Expect to see us panicking and paying over the odds for some absolute shite in January followed by the ultra hilarious appointment of Eric Tait who'll take us down. Strap yourself in for a hysterical farewell ride.

Yes. I tried to highlight last season that by sacking Coughlin we could be sleepwalking to non league. Because I thought Clyde, Cowden and Edinburgh would improve.  Remember it was Annan that was the final nail in his coffin. I am afraid it is not just about giving your all but is your all good enough? I remember all the predictions about Robbie's network and how he would find players. 

I agree with the panicking, again, and expect knee jerk reactions. I still cannot believe the DoF! What is his remit?

35 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

18 minutes ago, ShiPi said:

Yes. I tried to highlight last season that by sacking Coughlin we could be sleepwalking to non league. Because I thought Clyde, Cowden and Edinburgh would improve.  Remember it was Annan that was the final nail in his coffin. I am afraid it is not just about giving your all but is your all good enough? I remember all the predictions about Robbie's network and how he would find players. 

I agree with the panicking, again, and expect knee jerk reactions. I still cannot believe the DoF! What is his remit?

you mean Tragedy, thank fcuk I didnae go

Edited by dougster

What i'm hearing the boardroom is a total debacle, too many self interested' hingers oan' by the sound of it, for such a small town how can there be so many assholes who can't get along? Cmon guys, somebody knock some heads together before it's too late, can't believe the shite that's happening

Gruesome result against one of the few teams with, allegedly, a similarly crap budget. By all accounts, could have been 6 or 7.

Only 1 result, and we'll see what happens on Saturday. But you wouldn't get long odds on this all going seriously tits up pretty soon.

Everyone jockeying for position  and making whatever "f**k-you" decisions they can. Does anyone have the balls to bring all the fighting factions together?

Won't hold my breath.

1 minute ago, Redcar said:

Gruesome result against one of the few teams with, allegedly, a similarly crap budget. By all accounts, could have been 6 or 7.

Only 1 result, and we'll see what happens on Saturday. But you wouldn't get long odds on this all going seriously tits up pretty soon.

Everyone jockeying for position  and making whatever "f**k-you" decisions they can. Does anyone have the balls to bring all the fighting factions together?

Won't hold my breath.

The important factions could well lock together, that's all that matters going forward. 

2 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Won't hold my breath.

It is the only way to improve things. 

It is the only way to improve things. 

That’s all very well for the long term future of the club. However, even if they do all get on and start working together today, by far the most important issue at the moment is the team on the park.

If those now making the decisions in the boardroom cannot realise that the playing budget and current squad is woefully inadequate and don’t take some further action, we’re heading for disaster.

I’d love to know what the grand plan is, but appointing Eric Tait as DoF and Watkins as VC with next to no explanation hardly inspires confidence in decision making.

On 9-5-2018 at 00:29, DutchBorderer said:

Quiet off-season, really nothing much to report. The result of Cowden - Cove might set some things in motion, but I've faith in Horn to assemble a squad that can match this season's result (and I would be very satisfied with 8th place in 18/19).

That's from the first page of this thread; right now I wouldn't be satisfied as much as I would be absolutely jubilant if we could sign on for 8th place.

2 hours ago, Coogs said:

Can't believe they're not tempting players down with the prospect of being able to buy cheap bev in the Berwick shops.

But on a serious note...

'S all gonna depend on how pish Albion Rovers are, with one player retained and the rest coming from juniors and Alloa's youth team. Think we should edge them if we get one or two decent loanees in (Hearts, Hibs, help us out here), but if things somehow end up clicking over at Cliftonhill we are well and truly done for.

What are the odds of getting out of the Lowland League anyway? Look at East Sitrlingshire; two seasons and they haven't looked like bouncing back for a single second. That's going to be Berwick if nothing changes.

Aye, we've lost our first competitive game of the season and were already relegated. Early call, even for the cups half empty brigade. It's not a great result, but a new team playing at a place where we rarely get anything doesn't mean man the lifeboats chaps.
We're skint, and will rely on knitting what we have, and players from organic development, into a decent team. I don't think we're alone in SPFL2 in that posotion, so let's see what a few league matches bring in due course before we run up the white flag.

Let’s put local loyalties to the side for a moment. I really don’t want to hear some of the muck that gets flung about.
The Directors need to buck their ideas up, clearly. Not one of them is putting serious money into the club. That’s obvious. This is not a free ride gentlemen. Like everything, you get out what you put in.
Clubs like Brechin,Stranraer and now Annan are making our club look prehistoric. Those places are the same sort of size and crowd as us and yet all are driving to improve and steadily maintain League profile.
How can they do it and we never can? I am probably peeing off the royal bridge but where is the vision and desire?