Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

3 hours ago, Slaverysam said:

Not happening after remedial work on the pitch was cancelled by the board

what? they couldn't afford a garden fork and a packet of grass seed? Bring back Cough, at least he was more practical than Horn!

On 17/05/2018 at 16:33, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Forgive the continued negativity, but am I the only one that isn't that impressed by re-signing an inexperienced defence that conceded more goals than Cowdenbeath last season? I find the sudden admiration of a defence that couldn't perform until we were safe quite odd to say the least. Revealing an U20 as a 'new face' isn't exactly exciting, either. 

On the face of it, the 'keeper sounds a good addition but sounds a straight swap for McCrorie. Ultimately, defence was and still is a position we need to strengthen in. Reading between the lines of the released list, it seems we still can't let go of the deluded idea Lavery might come good again, and we're hoping jobbers like Stewart and Murrell come back, too. 

Of course, it's very early days yet and I'm not jumping to conclusions. For all we know, there could be 3 experienced defenders to come in and a lovely raft of signings to come elsewhere, but I certainly don't share the same 'delight' as some at retaining some kids that no one of note would have been after anyway. 

Agree with all of this. The way i see it is we have a defence who cannot defend, a midfield that cannot create, and now without Hamilton a team who will struggle to score. 

I'd also say some of the players Robbie let leave I.e. Mcdonald and Rutherford have not been replaced. Todd and the loan signing of Hamilton have been the only ones who have been successful.

Judging by the dismal run since December I think it's fair to say the squad was also stronger at the start of the  season under Coughlin. To reward players with new contracts when they quite clearly haven't performed to the required levels is frankly staggering. 

Agree with all of this. The way i see it is we have a defence who cannot defend, a midfield that cannot create, and now without Hamilton a team who will struggle to score. 
I'd also say some of the players Robbie let leave I.e. Mcdonald and Rutherford have not been replaced. Todd and the loan signing of Hamilton have been the only ones who have been successful.
Judging by the dismal run since December I think it's fair to say the squad was also stronger at the start of the  season under Coughlin. To reward players with new contracts when they quite clearly haven't performed to the required levels is frankly staggering. 

With the recent extreme pitch-gate stories, which are both budget-themed, might it be that our clubs cloth is limited beyond anything we've seen for many years?

Might be a season where supporters need to circle the wagons and really get behind Robbie and the team.

I hope I'm wrong; maybe in a few weeks we'll have seen more captures of the quality of the two Musselburgh boys.

There's little doubt that a lot of hard work will be getting done to vigorously explore the best possible player options.

It'll be hard enough to grow the squad and perform on the park in a positive fan environment.

Was just something I was told. Not really something I’m going to make up.
couldnt care if he signs or not. 
I guess not all deals go the full way to completion 
Guessing this is Muir. Class player. There's a good few players at Lothian/Eos that would improve Berwick.

Decent statement from Horn yesterday. We'll have to rely on his knowledge of the juniors and hope he can find and attract a few gems. A few more experienced heads wouldn't go amiss, though. 

Hopefully our success in developing players of other sides, as mentioned, will also lead us to a few decent additions. We certainly can't of done ourselves any harm with the likes of Rangers and especially Hearts with those we've taken in previously.

Away from the player front, it's encouraging to hear that unlike the discussion earlier in this topic, he wants to aim higher than just surviving. Our budget may not make that easy, but as was said, we may as well all pack up if our definition of success is to be 9th.  

Decent statement from Horn yesterday. We'll have to rely on his knowledge of the juniors and hope he can find and attract a few gems. A few more experienced heads wouldn't go amiss, though. 
Hopefully our success in developing players of other sides, as mentioned, will also lead us to a few decent additions. We certainly can't of done ourselves any harm with the likes of Rangers and especially Hearts with those we've taken in previously.
Away from the player front, it's encouraging to hear that unlike the discussion earlier in this topic, he wants to aim higher than just surviving. Our budget may not make that easy, but as was said, we may as well all pack up if our definition of success is to be 9th.  
[emoji38]

He can aim as high as he wants, you'll still finish lower than Cowden [emoji38]

Well, let's consider where we stand squad-wise....

Spoiler

PLAYERS OUT;

McCrorie; Notman, Fairbairn, McKinlay; Petkov, Stewart, Simpson; Thomson, Hamilton

PLAYERS CONFIRMED TO BE RETAINED AND (NEW IN);

Brennan, (Alasdair Adams)

Orru, Wilson, Cook, Fleming, Todd

Lavery :wub:, O'Kane, (Sean Murphy)

See, Willis, (Grant Rose)

UNSURE;

Phillips, Murrell

It's way too early to tell what the season is gonna be, but in the absence of news and no footy going on elsewhere, I don't fault anyone for overanalyzing and getting a lil' antsy. We've lost the 16/17 and 17/18 top goalscorers by virtue of Thomson and Hamilton leaving, while See will be out or a while still. The squad needs strengthening in all field positions, with Murphy an appetizing first signing for midfield.

Meanwhile, I look at Edinburgh City, who announce 5 signings in 5 days, including Kieran Stewart who I would've liked to have kept in black and gold. Cowdenbeath will be attempting once more to not be perennial fuckups, and the rest of the league sans QP probably have bigger budgets than Berwick. I can agree to not being acting all doom and gloom, but I can hardly fault anyone for feeling antsy at the moment.

I''m not remotely disappointed to see Stewart depart to a rival. Decent work rate, but his passing is just dreadful.

We have 13 signed and the gaffer wants a squad of 18. I hope one of them is Gary Phillips as we need his experience.

Dean Brett is going elsewhere and I doubt we have the financial clout to sign any seasoned pro's. Presumably another 4 from the lower leagues.

3 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

Well, let's consider where we stand squad-wise....

Reveal hidden contents

PLAYERS OUT;

McCrorie; Notman, Fairbairn, McKinlay; Petkov, Stewart, Simpson; Thomson, Hamilton

PLAYERS CONFIRMED TO BE RETAINED AND (NEW IN);

Brennan, (Alasdair Adams)

Orru, Wilson, Cook, Fleming, Todd

Lavery :wub:, O'Kane, (Sean Murphy)

See, Willis, (Grant Rose)

UNSURE;

Phillips, Murrell

It's way too early to tell what the season is gonna be, but in the absence of news and no footy going on elsewhere, I don't fault anyone for overanalyzing and getting a lil' antsy. We've lost the 16/17 and 17/18 top goalscorers by virtue of Thomson and Hamilton leaving, while See will be out or a while still. The squad needs strengthening in all field positions, with Murphy an appetizing first signing for midfield.

Meanwhile, I look at Edinburgh City, who announce 5 signings in 5 days, including Kieran Stewart who I would've liked to have kept in black and gold. Cowdenbeath will be attempting once more to not be perennial fuckups, and the rest of the league sans QP probably have bigger budgets than Berwick. I can agree to not being acting all doom and gloom, but I can hardly fault anyone for feeling antsy at the moment.

I've no idea what Antsy is but if it means getting pished and crashing your mini into an oncoming car while out shopping with your Mum, we all feel your pain