Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

Goalkeeper Alasdair Adams joins the squad from Musselburgh, having 7 seasons of junior football under his belt. Suppose that's that position sorted for the year.

2 hours ago, Tenkay said:

Pat Scullion???

He's always welcome back.

2 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

I'm disappointed City have released him!  His first 4 games he played for us in January he was outstanding and cleared everything!

For some reason he has a bad rep with other teams fans, but I'd have him back at City next season.

Your new goalie seems a decent signing, going by your press release anyway.

Guest Landan Spiv
57 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

Goalkeeper Alasdair Adams joins the squad from Musselburgh, having 7 seasons of junior football under his belt. Suppose that's that position sorted for the year.

Pat Scullion.......... Leader amongst men 

Jordan Orru signed on for 18/19, one year deal. At 20 years of age, I wouldn't have minded him getting a two year deal.

EDIT; Robert Wilson has also put pen to paper for next season. Here's hoping he stays fit and can make an impact for the full length of the campaign.

Edited by DutchBorderer
New Signing added

Brennan, Adams, Orru, Wilson, Todd, Willis, O'Kane, See. 

Suspect several others from last year will also re-sign. We'll have a young but very energetic team. 3 or 4 new faces would help.

Still waiting for an announcement on Lavery, won't be the same without him.

Good to have the goalkeeper position fully filled now (third goalie can be drawn from the U20's when needed), defence looking good as well. Hope we'll hear something about one or two strikers being added soon. I'd like to think See will be fully ready when the season starts, but there's no telling how coming back from his injury will affect him.

EDIT; Jack Cook is the latest to sign on for another year. Defence looking really good already.

EDIT 2; Fleming has signed on for a second season as well.

Edited by DutchBorderer

Forgive the continued negativity, but am I the only one that isn't that impressed by re-signing an inexperienced defence that conceded more goals than Cowdenbeath last season? I find the sudden admiration of a defence that couldn't perform until we were safe quite odd to say the least. Revealing an U20 as a 'new face' isn't exactly exciting, either. 

On the face of it, the 'keeper sounds a good addition but sounds a straight swap for McCrorie. Ultimately, defence was and still is a position we need to strengthen in. Reading between the lines of the released list, it seems we still can't let go of the deluded idea Lavery might come good again, and we're hoping jobbers like Stewart and Murrell come back, too. 

Of course, it's very early days yet and I'm not jumping to conclusions. For all we know, there could be 3 experienced defenders to come in and a lovely raft of signings to come elsewhere, but I certainly don't share the same 'delight' as some at retaining some kids that no one of note would have been after anyway. 

The decent performances at the end of the season (after safety was secured as you noted) were a reason to be slightly optimistic and have a little bit of hope, which is all we have right now. These young lads have a bit more experience under their belt come the start of the season, with room to grow.

Besides that, I'd rather these boys sign on for another season than let them go and bet on a raft of wholly unproven youngsters.

2 hours ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Forgive the continued negativity, but am I the only one that isn't that impressed by re-signing an inexperienced defence that conceded more goals than Cowdenbeath last season? I find the sudden admiration of a defence that couldn't perform until we were safe quite odd to say the least. Revealing an U20 as a 'new face' isn't exactly exciting, either. 

On the face of it, the 'keeper sounds a good addition but sounds a straight swap for McCrorie. Ultimately, defence was and still is a position we need to strengthen in. Reading between the lines of the released list, it seems we still can't let go of the deluded idea Lavery might come good again, and we're hoping jobbers like Stewart and Murrell come back, too. 

Of course, it's very early days yet and I'm not jumping to conclusions. For all we know, there could be 3 experienced defenders to come in and a lovely raft of signings to come elsewhere, but I certainly don't share the same 'delight' as some at retaining some kids that no one of note would have been after anyway. 

Perhaps these players are being admired because your fellow fans aren't deluded enough to think you could attract any better?

4 hours ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Little bit harsh. Once Robbie started playing 3 at the back, the defence improved, and that was against opposition that had everything to play for. Todd in particular got better and better.

Shite budget though - so signing experienced players will be very difficult.

It's flair that we really lack. And you're right - don't expect much of that from Murrell and Stewart. As for Rose - who knows? Big confident lad who scored a few for the Development team (but so did Josh Morris).

There will be some coming in, and maybe some loanees, I'm reasonably happy at the moment.

On 17/05/2018 at 16:33, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

What i like is that we are sorting it now, as opposed to  the last couple of years where it's been  a last minute rush to put a squad together.  let's see what a team of young players and the odd 'local laddie' can do.