Queens v Alloa

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's easy to see why it wasn't given in the confusion with such a looping ball across the box and he doesn't look anywhere near offside when it arrives. He's also beyond the goal line and partially hidden by two goal posts and possibly our goalkeeper from the assistant's point of view. But he is quite coming from an offside position when he heads the ball back.

I'm quite surprised that none of the Queens players claimed for it - I certainly shouted for it as soon as he went for the ball. I was in the end section of the new stand, albeit about halfway up so I had a slightly better view than the linesman but it was obvious that the player challenging for the ball had come from off the pitch.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, printer said:

A few comments on the goals coverage.

Firstly, it is excellent. Best I've seen.

Secondly, I'm not sure the definition of 'offside position' includes a player who is behind the goal-line.

Thirdly, Dobbie's finishing looks every bit as good as it did live. Shields goal is also a cracking header. Delighted for young Hastie getting his first league goal for us; also I think it's incorrect to say he blatantly dived in the lead up to Queen's second goal.

I don't think a player being off the field makes any difference to whether they are offside or not as they are deemed to be on the goal line for the purposes of the rule. 

'An attacking player may step or stay off the field of play not to be involved in active play. If the player re-enters from the goal line and becomes involved in play before the next stoppage in play, or the defending team has played the ball towards the halfway line and it is outside their penalty area, the player shall be considered to be positioned on the goal line for the purposes of offside.'

That being the case then, IMO, Flannigan was offside as the footage shows him beyond the last defender when the ball is played. The only doubt I have is whether the officials felt that the attacker crossing the ball meets it at the exact same time as the defender which would mean that it was played by the defender last?

Archived