Queens v Alloa

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You wouldnt be allowed to change it back mid season I dont think. Might be allowed to change it at halfway if you dont have any home games in hand maybe.

Got to be worth a challenge though.The narrow pitch is obviously legal as is the full size park.Celtic whinged about the length of the Tynecastle grass but i dont see Hearts having to keep it that length.The one thing we are certainly not getting is home advantage.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You wouldnt be allowed to change it back mid season I dont think. Might be allowed to change it at halfway if you dont have any home games in hand maybe.

That was the case last time, we were allowed to change it at the half way point when we had already played everyone once.  Hopefully the same would apply again, the thought of watching a whole season of home games on the wee park is depressing. 

10 minutes ago, Waspie said:

That was the case last time, we were allowed to change it at the half way point when we had already played everyone once.  Hopefully the same would apply again, the thought of watching a whole season of home games on the wee park is depressing. 

Indeed the rules are once everyone has played on it then it can be changed. Will it though? I don't think it will but I'd like to be surprised.

Alloa always tend to be a bit of a bogey team so didn't expect a stroll in the park today. Did they not beat us in our 1st division campaign and also beat us about 12 years back at recreation ground when we were going for promotion. Today they do what Alloa always does - do their homework and give us a hard match. They defended from the front, whenever our back 4 and in particular full backs had the ball they were right on top of them making us hurry and going long instead of playing through the midfield on the ground. They were lethal in front of goal as with the third being the pick. Any team would have been proud of that goal. First goal they had bodies in the box to make a nuisance of themselves as the ball bounced about (or headed about) several times. They committed men forward today and didn't sit back protecting their one goal lead as many predicted. Saying that did they threaten the goal much apart from the 3 goals and fine Martin save at the end. Did Queens have many more on target apart from the goal?

Remember it well if its the same game i’m thinking about, very very cold winters night when AJ was your manager.

Well done to the queens fans for being honest.

Gutting not to get 3 points today after being in such a strong position, plenty of positives to take, dobbie is unbelievable.

Least we have matched brechins last season points haul.

A cracking match. Alloa impressed me today but it is certainly 2 points dropped.
Dobbie is just brilliant, 3 excellent strikes.
Harkins I hope has not too serious an injury but he done hee haw before going off.
Both Marshall and Mercer were poor in my view and it was only Dobbie, Doyle and
Semple who got pass marks from me.
Martin did make an excellent save near the end turning the ball onto the post but 
we need a more assured No1.
Watching Dobbie is a delight and worth the entrance money alone.
I thought the Ref today had a very good first half , letting play flow and giving
the advantage to the attacking team but in the last 20 mins he lost it, he let Alloa 
away with a lot of blatant tugging,pulling and hand balls which could have cost us
a point and likely denied us all 3.

I thought big Semple had his worst game for us. Tbf he's entitled to it as he's been superb up until now. Harkins was clutching his hamstring so it could be bad. The fact he walked off gives me a tiny bit of hope it won't be too bad but at his age it could take longer. I'm fearing 4-6 weeks so anything less would be a huge bonus.

I’m not sure how we can give any of our defenders pass marks when we conceded three goals at home. I just don’t understand the fawning over Doyle and Semple. We’ve conceded two goals or more in 8 games this season.

I know I’m only seeing half the picture by only attending home games, but to me we’re no better off defensively than last season. I’m amazed that the same personnel as today managed to go to Inverness and keep a clean sheet.

Well, in 50 years of watching Queens I thought I’d suffered enough, but they really put us through the mill today. To be 3-0 down to the team equal bottom after only 25 minutes was unbelievable (well not really if you were there....), so by the end I was relieved to have a point, could easily have been 3 points - or 0 points. A game of 100 incidents, entertaining if nothing else.

First Alloa goal was scrappy, but their next 2 were due to wonderful crosses whipped in from our left, and a very good finish for the 3rd. We were disjointed all over the park, until Dobbs stepped up.

Stunning shot for the first but I think credit to Dykes for the lay-off? Second was equal persistence and skill, though Alloa defence didn’t look too clever.

Third was well worked, did Stirling lay it off for him?

We did actually improve in the second half. 

Sorry for Harkins, but he was having a poor game so it worked out for us.

1 point off 4th with almost the first quarter played. Thought I’d finish with something positive.....

13 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I’m not sure how we can give any of our defenders pass marks when we conceded three goals at home. I just don’t understand the fawning over Doyle and Semple. We’ve conceded two goals or more in 8 games this season.

I know I’m only seeing half the picture by only attending home games, but to me we’re no better off defensively than last season. I’m amazed that the same personnel as today managed to go to Inverness and keep a clean sheet.

Yes you are only seeing have the picture.

nobody has fawned over anyone except Dobbie and quite rightly so.

Semple and Doyle have been excellent this season. Yes they have been part of a defence that has conceded goals but the defensive issue is two full backs that just can’t defend

stats can be manipulated in any way you want.

4 defeats in 15 games. Two against Premier League sides. A decent start in most people’s opinion.

I don’t know any team at any level of football who enjoy being pressed all over the pitch. Our manager seems to be happy to sit off teams and hit on break. Can you imagine trying to achieve results with this tactic without Dobbie? It doesn’t bear thinking about. His ability to score brilliant goals out of nothing masks the issue and distorts what is actually happening. We simply don’t try hard enough to “get the ball back” high up the pitch and that is where Dykes needs to be on shoulder of last defender not drifting back into midfield in most games.

7 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I don’t know any team at any level of football who enjoy being pressed all over the pitch. Our manager seems to be happy to sit off teams and hit on break. Can you imagine trying to achieve results with this tactic without Dobbie? It doesn’t bear thinking about. His ability to score brilliant goals out of nothing masks the issue and distorts what is actually happening. We simply don’t try hard enough to “get the ball back” high up the pitch and that is where Dykes needs to be on shoulder of last defender not drifting back into midfield in most games.

Certainly agree we don't work to get the ball back particularly in the wide areas. Having watched a good number of away games as well as home ones we seem to play with full backs away and wing backs at home. This home set up needs the midfield to fill in when the wing backs go forward but we do not sustain it. This means we are exposed to any team who have a strong, fast right sided defender. A  home set up like ours  usually has 3 CBs but our 2 rely on the opposite full back for cover.  This leaves us vulnerable and the second goal for Alloa illustrated that where Mercer had  a clear header at the post but almost ducked away from it. He either lost his man or got a shout to leave it, a CB would have cleared it. Martin is not great at crosses and the wide mid fielders Stirling and Harkins do not want to defend.  Stirling seems to have lost his edge since he was missing when the fullback went forward at Partick

Still enjoyed the game, two great individual goals. Must be a good watch for a neutral supporter, wonder what our visitors from Darlington made of it.

Finally I am Glad East Fife are on a good run of form, it will mean we will set up in our normal away style, or maybe not, great watch the Queens

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I heartily endorse the calls of #DobbieForScotland

You don't have to start him but take him over to Israel for the game and let him train with the national side, maybe bring him on if we need a bit of magic.

Then, a full second half against Portugal to delight the 23,000 inside Hampden.

Just watched the game and after seeing his goals it is actually believable. Say Scotland get one chance in a game Dobbie will score it no matter who it is in front of him. Really exceptional player.

Alloa were magnificient though. I hope Jim keeps going all season and doesn't fall on his own sword like Paul, Barry and Danny. Competitively the only time I think we've been better is under Paul Hartley at the beginning of his first Championship season. Even then we came off the rails a bit after that. I don't think this team is going to do that.

Iwas really impressed with Alloa yesterday, Goodwin was constantly at his forwards to press the ball everytime our goalkeeper and defenders had the ball forcing us to play it early. Thought Alloa,s third goal was a lovely finish,I even applauded it myself. Quite strange walking out of Palmerston disappointed at coming from 3 goals down but no team has a divine right to expect a win against any team in this league. The positives from the game were of course Dobbie again and Frizzell when he came on.

Just watched the game and after seeing his goals it is actually believable. Say Scotland get one chance in a game Dobbie will score it no matter who it is in front of him. Really exceptional player.
Alloa were magnificient though. I hope Jim keeps going all season and doesn't fall on his own sword like Paul, Barry and Danny. Competitively the only time I think we've been better is under Paul Hartley at the beginning of his first Championship season. Even then we came off the rails a bit after that. I don't think this team is going to do that.
Where did you see the goals?

1 hour ago, happysouth said:
3 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Where did you see the goals?

He is Alloa's tv cameraman. He will have filmed it himself.

Archived