Breastfeeding in public

I was reading the letters page in the Metro today, and a recent post by ICTChris reminded me of this story: https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/mum-ordered-to-stop-breastfeeding-baby-during-easyjet-flight-1-4805604

A mum-of-four has hit out at easyJet after she was ordered to stop breastfeeding her baby during a flight - and had to pry the infant off her mid-feed. Kelly Edgson-Payne, 36, was “mortified”, and she and one-year-old son Lex were both left in tears, as a male member of cabin crew told her she could not feed her baby during take-off. And when the sports therapist raised the issue with easyJet Customer Services, she was told she was welcome to breastfeed her baby on their flights - “as long as you are discreet”.

Breastfeeding in public has become an increasingly prominent thing in recent years as gender equality in the workplace has gained more prominence in the media. Babies need to be looked after, babies need fed. All wonderful. Is someone sitting on a plane during takeoff with an unseatbelted child normal? Is it a violation of her or the baby's human rights to get her to stop? Is this too far?

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

Still one of my favourite one-liners ever from a mate of mine when we'd turned up at the house of another mate whose wife had not long since popped a sprog - as we walked in the door we were asked if we were okay with her breastfeeding.

"Suppose so, but I'd rather have a beer..."

Edited by Hillonearth

47 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Breastfeeding is disgusting. Babies are disgusting. EasyJet are generally reasonably priced.

We’re you a disgusting baby?  Has it had an impact on you as you grew older?

Jet2 has better luggage allowance.

1 hour ago, rodallegabombs said:

What I reading between the lines is that it was more the fact it was during takeoff, where everyone should be belted in - including babies / toddlers.
But we shouldn’t let that get in the way of an outraged newspaper story.

The baby would be strapped to the mother during takeoff anyway, no harm in having a munch.

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We’re you a disgusting baby?  Has it had an impact on you as you grew older?

Jet2 has better luggage allowance.

Obviously I was a disgusting baby; I used to shit in my pants and expected someone else to clean it up. I grew up, though, and now strive to be better than that.

1 minute ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Obviously I was a disgusting baby; I used to shit in my pants and expected someone else to clean it up. I grew up, though, and now strive to be better than that.

You'll be that way again one day.

29 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

You'll be that way again one day.

Not if WaffenThinMint has anything to do with it.

Speaking of which, anyone who contributes to the letters page in the Metro ought to be killed. I'll do it if WTM is busy.

2 hours ago, Tynierose said:

She has a double barreled name, she is from Kent, she called her son Lex.

I'm calling c**t.   Mon the Easy Jet.

Could cause problems at check in:   

"Who are you checking in"?   "Lex,us".    

"I'm afraid cars are not allowed on easyjet.   Not even the Japanese Mercedes".  

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Surely breastfeeding during takeoff is a safety issue?  I don't know how you would secure a baby on a flight, are there special baby seats?

You get an extra seatbelt loop that attaches to the seatbelt of an adult passenger.  You could (if you were lactating) breastfeed a baby with it linked in to your seatbelt.  No idea whether it is deemed to be safety issue, but I don't see how it is any more dangerous than having a baby strapped to you that isn't breastfeeding.

10 minutes ago, Gnash said:

You get an extra seatbelt loop that attaches to the seatbelt of an adult passenger.  You could (if you were lactating) breastfeed a baby with it linked in to your seatbelt.  No idea whether it is deemed to be safety issue, but I don't see how it is any more dangerous than having a baby strapped to you that isn't breastfeeding.

This. The baby would have been on her knee anyway so don't see what difference breastfeeding would have made. 

As it was during take off, the rapid change in air pressure would have massively  increased the rate at which the milk was being delivered. It would be like sticking a hosepipe in a babies mouth and turning it on full.  Babies also gulp down a lot of air when feeding which would have expanded.  Thankfully, a Mr Creosote scenario was avoided with a little forethought.