2 Games at 1 Stadium on 1 Day

HibeeJibee

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

There were three separate occasions during WWI where teams played twice on the same day. During that period, the SFL had a hard rule that the season had to be finished by the end of April, and war-time restrictions meant that midweek matches were limited.

As mentioned above, Celtic and Motherwell both played twice on 15th April 1916.

Clyde played twice on 14th April 1917 - they beat St Mirren 2-1 at home before travelling across Glasgow to face Third Lanark, who beat them 1-0.

The following week (21st April 1917), both Rangers and Queen's Park played twice on the same day. In the afternoon, Rangers lost 3-1 away to Hamilton Accies and Queen's Park won 2-0 away to Partick Thistle. Both sides then travelled to Ibrox, where Rangers beat Queen's Park 1-0.

Imagine the absolute carnage if Rangers were asked to play someone at Ibrox in the afternoon then actually head off to an away game at night. 

22 hours ago, craigkillie said:

During World War I there were restrictions on when matches could be played, which led to Motherwell playing two home league matches on 15th April 1916. The first match was a 3-0 defeat to Ayr United, while the second was a 3-1 loss to Celtic (who had themselves beaten Raith Rovers 6-0 at home earlier the same day). Eight players played in both games for Motherwell.

Weirdly, you can find lots of stories online about Celtic playing twice on the same day, but none of them seem to mention that Motherwell did too.

Just to reiterate that Celtic are the only team I've heard of playing twice on the same day, notwithstanding that Motherwell played twice that day, too, and I don't think I've ever heard about Clyde, Rangers and Queens Park playing twice on the dame day, either, and I like to think I'm fairly clued up about historical Scottish football facts/trivia.

Thanks ck.

Edited by Jacksgranda

Just to reiterate that Celtic are the only team I've heard of playing twice on the same day, notwithstanding that Motherwell played twice that day, too, and I don't think I've ever heard about Clyde, Rangers and Queens Park playing twice on the dame day, either, and I like to think I'm fairly clued up about historical Scottish football facts/trivia.
Thanks ck.
I think theirs is made more memorable because they were the only side who won both games, and also because they won the league that day.

There are cases of playing 2 games at the same time, e.g. in both the league and Scottish Qualifying or Consolation cups when not even all top division sides qualified automatically.

Clubs sometimes chose against displacing league games onto midweek afternoons and split their squad, or sent 2nd XI if they'd already reached the Scottish Cup.

e.g.

Saturday 18th November 1911
Clyde 1-2 Motherwell (SFL Division One)
Dunfermline Athletic 4-2 Motherwell (Scottish Qualifying Cup SF)

Motherwell prioritised the league and sent a very weakened team to Fife - oddly enough the crowd there was 6,000-7,000 versus only 4,000 at Shawfield!

Edited by HibeeJibee

In 1952 Rangers played Hibs at Ibrox. The game was followed by the Junior Cup Final between Vale of Leven and Dunipace.

Combining the two attendances - many stayed for the second game - makes it the largest one-day attendance at Ibrox. (If you see what I mean.)

On 3/11/2019 at 12:38, The Nightfly said:

The fourth team was Bahrain.

All the group stage matches were double headers.  Group A @ Hampden Park (1st matches only) and Fir Park;  Group B @ Pittodrie;  Group C @ Dens Park; Group D @ Tynecastle.  The matches seem to have taken place without any delay between them, judging by the kick-off times being only 105 minutes apart.

I think they were 40 minutes each way but even 105 between kick offs is tight.

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:02, Old Scrotum said:

In 1952 Rangers played Hibs at Ibrox. The game was followed by the Junior Cup Final between Vale of Leven and Dunipace.

Combining the two attendances - many stayed for the second game - makes it the largest one-day attendance at Ibrox. (If you see what I mean.)

Apart from the fact that the 1952 Junior Cup Final was played at Hampden and featured neither Vale of Leven or Dunipace  that's a very accurate post ;)

Vale were in the 1953 Junior Cup Final but again that was played at Hampden.

Edited by drs

16 hours ago, drs said:

Apart from the fact that the 1952 Junior Cup Final was played at Hampden and featured neither Vale of Leven or Dunipace  that's a very accurate post ;)

Vale were in the 1953 Junior Cup Final but again that was played at Hampden.

My deepest, beer-sodden apologies.

I should have said the 1953 semi-final against Ashfield. (Played at Ibrox on the Saturday evening, attendance 33,000.)

Consider my wrists smacked very roughly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/03/2019 at 17:10, Glenconner said:

Went to Clyde games at Shawfield in the afternoon and the greyhound racing at night. Did the same twice at Wembley.

If folk are going down this route, you could always stay inside Central Park at FT in Cowdenbeath and get 'free' access to the stock car racing immediately afterwards. 

I always found it a bit depressing that there were considerably more people queuing to get in for that than football fans walking out. Considering you pay £15 to get into Racewall, I'm surprised more didn't pop into the game before hand, not that I'm condoning such reckless behaviour. 

Sure the entire Fife Cup was played over a weekend at Starks Park once, which would have entailed two games in one day and the Final the next day!!!
Unless i dreamt it!!!

12 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Sure the entire Fife Cup was played over a weekend at Starks Park once, which would have entailed two games in one day and the Final the next day!!!
Unless i dreamt it!!!

Happened in Fife and EOS cups before.

On 01/04/2019 at 09:10, King Kebab said:

Unless i dreamt it!!!

The Lanarkshire Cup was that format for quite a while. All the grounds had a shot, so at least 4 years.

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/03/2019 at 09:02, Old Scrotum said:

For football yes, though Ibrox hosted two near-enough sold-out sessions each day in the Commonwealth Games rugby 7s. 

On 23/04/2019 at 00:59, GordonS said:

For football yes, though Ibrox hosted two near-enough sold-out sessions each day in the Commonwealth Games rugby 7s. 

The combined attendance for those two rugby sessions would have been less than 100,000. Ibrox's record attendance for a single football match is 118,567 for the New Year Old Firm derby in 1939.

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The combined attendance for those two rugby sessions would have been less than 100,000. Ibrox's record attendance for a single football match is 118,567 for the New Year Old Firm derby in 1939.

Ah true. But does that not also apply to the example I was replying to? Were there more than that at Rangers v Hibs and Vale of Leven v Dunipace?

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Ah true. But does that not also apply to the example I was replying to? Were there more than that at Rangers v Hibs and Vale of Leven v Dunipace?

The actual notion of those two games going ahead on the same day seems to be false - Vale of Leven and Dunipace didn't meet in the Junior Cup final at any point around that time.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The actual notion of those two games going ahead on the same day seems to be false - Vale of Leven and Dunipace didn't meet in the Junior Cup final at any point around that time.

Oh well!

The Vale reached the 1953 final, beating Annbank. Their semi-final v Ashfield took place at Ibrox on the evening of 2 May, with an attendance of 33000.
There are also details of a league match taking place at Ibrox on the same date - Rangers beating Dundee 3-1, with an attendance of 60000.