2 Games at 1 Stadium on 1 Day

HibeeJibee

Hampden will host both League Cup SFs a few hours apart next month.

How often has this happened before in Scottish football? Example would be the Olympics in 2012... Egypt-Honduras + Spain-Japan.

Only counting first-class games... i.e. not including youths, non-league or friendlies (including local cups played as mini-tournaments).

Yup. God help a family with kids who were there that day.

I was at Beith with Tynierose just a few weeks later and they had excellent pies at a good bit less than half the price. I was moaning  about Hampden prices to Tynie when the Beith guy revealed that they used the same supplier and they were the same pies. Rip off barstewards!

15 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Only counting first-class games... 

You lost me at that sentence, but I was about to say that women's cup semi's have been held back to back in the same stadium the last couple of seasons at least. Definitely happened at Forthbank and maybe Falkirk as well.

The biggest problem is giving Aberdeen the midday kick off time when public transport into Glasgow from there is appalling. Dampening what should be a good occasions.
All about the TV, the fans that attend football treated with contempt again.
Yeah but surely trying to get them home after the late game would've been just as big a problem?

I can't find it just now but asked this question before on this forum.

In the 1960s Scotland played England (might have been a league select) in front of over 100k supporters at Hampden.

Later that day Third Lanark played Hibernian at the same stadium. Apparently only around 4k supporters attended and it was held there due to ongoing work at Cathkin.

7 hours ago, energyzone said:

I can't find it just now but asked this question before on this forum.

In the 1960s Scotland played England (might have been a league select) in front of over 100k supporters at Hampden.

Later that day Third Lanark played Hibernian at the same stadium. Apparently only around 4k supporters attended and it was held there due to ongoing work at Cathkin.

I'd vague recollections of such but thought it was Queen's Park.

Thirds did try to capture passing supporters after Great Britain v Rest of the World in 1947 by playing Hibs at Cathkin, timed to start shortly after FT... attendance was 6,000.

They tried again before Scotland v England in 1953 by playing QotS Reserves at Cathkin, timed to finish before kickoff... gate was £5.2.6.

• 5 months later...
On 27/09/2018 at 18:31, HibeeJibee said:

Hampden will host both League Cup SFs a few hours apart next month.

How often has this happened before in Scottish football? Example would be the Olympics in 2012... Egypt-Honduras + Spain-Japan.

Only counting first-class games... i.e. not including youths, non-league or friendlies (including local cups played as mini-tournaments).

the opening games of the 1989 u/16 world cup were held in one afternoon at hampden, pretty sure 3 of the 4 teams were Scotland,cuba and ghana,cant remember the fourth.

only a few thousand of us there,the support only started turning up in this tournament when Scotland started doing well.as to the afternoon in question,iirc it wasn't a festival of sparkling football or heart in mouth excitement

Caley(the real one,not the hybrid pish) hosted a mini tournament between Scotland,italy,holland and Belgium in the late 80s,pretty sure games were held one after the other.i realise this isn't within the original perameters set down 

the opening games of the 1989 u/16 world cup were held in one afternoon at hampden, pretty sure 3 of the 4 teams were Scotland,cuba and ghana,cant remember the fourth.

The fourth team was Bahrain.

All the group stage matches were double headers.  Group A @ Hampden Park (1st matches only) and Fir Park;  Group B @ Pittodrie;  Group C @ Dens Park; Group D @ Tynecastle.  The matches seem to have taken place without any delay between them, judging by the kick-off times being only 105 minutes apart.

During World War I there were restrictions on when matches could be played, which led to Motherwell playing two home league matches on 15th April 1916. The first match was a 3-0 defeat to Ayr United, while the second was a 3-1 loss to Celtic (who had themselves beaten Raith Rovers 6-0 at home earlier the same day). Eight players played in both games for Motherwell.

Weirdly, you can find lots of stories online about Celtic playing twice on the same day, but none of them seem to mention that Motherwell did too.

32 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

During World War I there were restrictions on when matches could be played, which led to Motherwell playing two home league matches on 15th April 1916. The first match was a 3-0 defeat to Ayr United, while the second was a 3-1 loss to Celtic (who had themselves beaten Raith Rovers 6-0 at home earlier the same day). Eight players played in both games for Motherwell.

Weirdly, you can find lots of stories online about Celtic playing twice on the same day, but none of them seem to mention that Motherwell did too.

Wouldn't fit the "oppressed" narrative, imho...

18 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I find stories like that fascinating, considering the absolute outrage that would ensue if it was even suggested these days.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I find stories like that fascinating, considering the absolute outrage that would ensue if it was even suggested these days.

There were three separate occasions during WWI where teams played twice on the same day. During that period, the SFL had a hard rule that the season had to be finished by the end of April, and war-time restrictions meant that midweek matches were limited.

As mentioned above, Celtic and Motherwell both played twice on 15th April 1916.

Clyde played twice on 14th April 1917 - they beat St Mirren 2-1 at home before travelling across Glasgow to face Third Lanark, who beat them 1-0.

The following week (21st April 1917), both Rangers and Queen's Park played twice on the same day. In the afternoon, Rangers lost 3-1 away to Hamilton Accies and Queen's Park won 2-0 away to Partick Thistle. Both sides then travelled to Ibrox, where Rangers beat Queen's Park 1-0.